sometimes I want to throw my computer out window

Re: sometimes I want to throw my computer out window

PostBy: jpete On: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:20 pm

I often want to throw Windows out of my computer. :)
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: sometimes I want to throw my computer out window

PostBy: DePippo79 On: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Yep, two minutes ago wanted to open a news article on my home page and IE wouldn't open it. Had to close and use Firefox.
DePippo79
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40
Coal Size/Type: Stove, nut/anthracite

Re: sometimes I want to throw my computer out window

PostBy: DieselBob On: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:30 pm

Not to sound like a a## but is there a reason you keep trying to deal with IE. I gave up on that years ago when it was integrated into windows instead of being a separate software package. I also think some of the issue is vista. The wife had it on her old laptop and it seemed to take forever to do somethings like searches and launching some applications. I bought her a new laptop with Win7 and it is light years faster doing everything including start up and shutdown compared to vista. Myself I went to a dual operating system of Linux / WinXP_Pro on a old IBM Thinkpad with only a Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz and 2.0 GB of memory. I use Linux 98% of the time and WinXP_Pro the other 2% of the time for applications I haven't been able to get to run on Wine.
DieselBob
 


Re: sometimes I want to throw my computer out window

PostBy: DePippo79 On: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:39 pm

No, just habit I guess. Sucker for punishment I guess. It could probably be my firewall or antivirus protecting it. Like I said very computer illiterate. Richard(mayor) never had any problems with this site.
DePippo79
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40
Coal Size/Type: Stove, nut/anthracite

Re: sometimes I want to throw my computer out window

PostBy: Horace On: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:07 pm

DieselBob wrote:I use Linux 98% of the time and WinXP_Pro the other 2% of the time for applications I haven't been able to get to run on Wine.


Can you run those applications in Virtualbox? I run Linux Mint 15 and use VirtualBox to run WinXP for the few applications for which I have not found a Linux/open source replacement. It's a lot faster and easier than dual-booting since it runs under Linux. The only problem that you might run into is lack of memory. You have to allocate some of your memory to VB that Linux will then not have access to.

If the other 2% is running games, then keep doing what you're doing.
Horace
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove