The fire is lit. Hopefully, one match, Freddy!
Burning buckwheat this season for the first time. It's not the optimal fuel for the Axeman Anderson 130-M, but it is rated for it. I went by the book. I knocked out the 7/16" sight door knock-out plug to allow more air-over-fire to burn off the greater amounts of volatiles that build up from that size coal. I did start the fire on a bed of last year's ash, as recommended, for better initial air flow and to prevent volatiles in the buckwheat from building up in the lower fuel bed. I removed the barometric damper entirely from the stove pipe connection with the chimney. In reviewing the Axeman literature, the barometric damper, type M, is to be used only if there are conditions of frequent high draft causing overtemp issues. I don't have those issues so I took it out entirely and made sure that the stove vent pipe is very secure and well sealed. Hopefully, all this will keep the whole situation from producing the "boom, boom da BOOM, BOOM, BOOM" that Freddy from Maine experienced when starting up from scratch. Though Freddy had a highly ingenious way of engineering a solution to the problem, I think I can sidestep the problem having learned from his experiences.
I will keep all you Axeman Anderson Anthratube enthusiasts posted. So far, so good. Knock on wood.