Something I didn't think of - good point! I'll probably stuff the thing full of newspaper - I've got a switch I just rigged up towards the end of last heating season that kills the burner, but allows all the zone valves & circ., and the indirect to function. Did that so I could run off just the coils in the Harman.
Or, I might just flip the T to the side and install the baro there!
Problem solved! Thanks again Rob!
Fought with the oil boiler again today. Left it apart all night - way too pissed off to continue last night. Took the tankless coil outside this morning and wire wheeled all the corrosion off the plate, and off all 8 bolts - they were a mess. Exactly like working on a 10 year old car that's seen 11 winters here.
I reused the old, hardened rubber gasket ... but I slapped on Permatex Right Stuff on BOTH sides. No more leaks .... well, at least none there anymore. Hope I don't ever have to remove this thing again .. or I'll need a 20 ton puller - that Right Stuff is unbelievably strong! No more leaks there .... but the leak just moved from the tankless plate to the damn boiler drain.
If I could win for losing ..... well .... I'd be a *censored* winner!!
I managed to ram a drill inside the well, and extract the broken temp sensor. There was enough heat conducting compound left inside to spread all over the old aquastat's sensing bulb too.
SO ... Got the tankless all bolted back up and sealed, mickey moused the boiler drain until the new one comes in (see pics), and half-ass wired the old analog aquastat back in. I've got wires a millimeter from arcing out on the body ... and the cover doesn't fit right - had to install it upside down! Check out the pic of the switch ... now everything's backwards. Another fine repair! At least I've got hot water until I get this thing done right sometime next week.
Just FYI on the tankless (because I know someone is gonna ask) - it's only there because ... otherwise I'd have a 5" x 18" hole in my boiler that would be kind of tough to seal up. And the aquastat well is built into it too.
While out there I wire wheeled the hopper for the new-to-me stoker boiler, primed and painted. Thanks to Whistlenut for the tip on painting that thing! Would've disintegrated in no time being bare steel. Thing was all rusted just from sitting in my kitchen for a year. Boiler down stairs is already rusting away at warp speed. Got to repaint that thing too before I start plumbing ...