can anyone identify this stove???? help

can anyone identify this stove???? help

PostBy: gitrdonecoal On: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:34 pm

Im looking for a different stove. I want to make sure its a good brand or model. Any suggestions?
Attachments
IMG956457.jpg
(66.99 KiB) Viewed 63 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]44661[/nepathumb]
gitrdonecoal
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Stove/Furnace Make: USSC
Stove/Furnace Model: Hotblast 1557

Re: can anyone identify this stove???? help

PostBy: franco b On: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:43 pm

Looking at the ash door and the lack of air control it looks like a stoker. Need more pictures and with the upper door open. Look for a name plate.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: can anyone identify this stove???? help

PostBy: gitrdonecoal On: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:53 pm

Tried askin the people who are selling it to look for a name plate. They didn't find one. Not sure if it's missing or if they are blind. I can drive and look at it tomorrow. But if I knew before hand what it was I might be able to save a trip if I don't like the brand
gitrdonecoal
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Stove/Furnace Make: USSC
Stove/Furnace Model: Hotblast 1557

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Re: can anyone identify this stove???? help

PostBy: dcrane On: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:02 pm

Easy Peazy..... give us something more difficult like an 1870 and it might take awhile... this is a KeyStoker (not terribly old), no trim kit but appears to be the 90k BTU version, plenty of folks here have them so give them time to chime in as to what to look for and how they work.
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: can anyone identify this stove???? help

PostBy: gitrdonecoal On: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:54 pm

That's awesome. I almost cant pass up the price, it's dirt cheap. Think I will pick it up tomorrow. Few things. Can these be hooked up to existing duct work at all, even if I custom fab some duct work? I'd love to put it in the dining room in the middle of the house, but wife doesn't want it 100 there and 50 in the bedrooms. I have a 1700 sq ft ranch. New siding, R19 walls, and a cooler crawl space in the addition part (675 sq ft). Will this heat good? I really hope I can connect it to some ducting. And insight and suggestions are welcome, and thank you for a speedy response.
gitrdonecoal
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Stove/Furnace Make: USSC
Stove/Furnace Model: Hotblast 1557

Re: can anyone identify this stove???? help

PostBy: Greyhound On: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:03 am

I have my Keystoker 105 (same, just slightly larger than the 90) directly hooked to ductwork. Now, I ordered my stove with the large duct in top of the stove. If that is not there, I would suspect that it could be had from Keystoker, but that may require extra fabrication.

Rick
Greyhound
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Lenox Oil HA, Heat Pump

Re: can anyone identify this stove???? help

PostBy: gitrdonecoal On: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:51 am

Greyhound wrote:I have my Keystoker 105 (same, just slightly larger than the 90) directly hooked to ductwork. Now, I ordered my stove with the large duct in top of the stove. If that is not there, I would suspect that it could be had from Keystoker, but that may require extra fabrication.

Rick

Is this just duct sheeting? Is it something you feel I could make even? I was having visions of a plenum on top with a squirrel cage fan I got.
gitrdonecoal
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Stove/Furnace Make: USSC
Stove/Furnace Model: Hotblast 1557

Re: can anyone identify this stove???? help

PostBy: gitrdonecoal On: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:04 am

Forgive me for trying to rig this to suit my needs. Normally I wouldn't do that. But (shh) I'm picking this thing up today for 450, and quite possibly 300 bucks. For that price if I do a few things to make it work good I figure I'm still money ahead
gitrdonecoal
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Stove/Furnace Make: USSC
Stove/Furnace Model: Hotblast 1557

Re: can anyone identify this stove???? help

PostBy: scottshotgun On: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:06 am

gitrdonecoal wrote:Im looking for a different stove. I want to make sure its a good brand or model. Any suggestions?




http://www.keystoker.com/
scottshotgun
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska channing 3 /Coal-trol
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: Propane boiler/ baseboard

Re: can anyone identify this stove???? help

PostBy: Pacowy On: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:11 am

gitrdonecoal wrote:Forgive me for trying to rig this to suit my needs. Normally I wouldn't do that. But (shh) I'm picking this thing up today for 450, and quite possibly 300 bucks. For that price if I do a few things to make it work good I figure I'm still money ahead


It seems like you want something that's more like a furnace. It might make sense to pick up this stove and use it through swap or resale to get something made to do what you're trying to do. No doubt you can fabricate some kind of shroud that will put some amount of heated air into ductwork, but why not start with something designed to do that efficiently?

Mike
Pacowy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Re: can anyone identify this stove???? help

PostBy: gitrdonecoal On: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:52 pm

I brought her home. I think i will be pleased. Cant wait to get burning with it. Hiw do i know if its a 90 or 105? the fan is 500 cfm. Im really pleased that everything works on it. Although the real test will be when i pour some coal in it of course lol. I see it has a taco control on it. Not sire what that dies but i posted a question about it in the controls section of the forum. I think i will get some in line booster duct fans to help pull heat upstairs. Anyone with these stoves please feel free to tell me your experiences. Thanks a lot i love this site!
gitrdonecoal
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Stove/Furnace Make: USSC
Stove/Furnace Model: Hotblast 1557

Re: can anyone identify this stove???? help

PostBy: muskymike3 On: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:57 am

yes, looks like a 90K btu keystoker for sure. Mines probably older than that one and has been a great stove. Clean the squirrel cage fans, lube the blower motor and make sure the control on the flue pipe is working ok. when I bought mine it was installed with a honeywell sensor in the smoke pipe. That would fail every other year or so. Keystoker found a better sensor and that has worked fine for 5-6 years now. remove and clean the sensor probe a few times during the season. if you have the money it might not be a bad idea just to replace all of the motors except the blower motor and keep the old ones as spares. if the blower motor starts squeeking then get a new one asap. I've only burnt rice coal in mine and thats been fine all these years.

if you have any questions pm me

also Keystoker staff has been great in the past do not hesitate to call them. I've been out to the plant a few times picking up parts.

good luck with the stove
Mike
muskymike3
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker

Re: can anyone identify this stove???? help

PostBy: gitrdonecoal On: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:41 pm

muskymike3 wrote:yes, looks like a 90K btu keystoker for sure. Mines probably older than that one and has been a great stove. Clean the squirrel cage fans, lube the blower motor and make sure the control on the flue pipe is working ok. when I bought mine it was installed with a honeywell sensor in the smoke pipe. That would fail every other year or so. Keystoker found a better sensor and that has worked fine for 5-6 years now. remove and clean the sensor probe a few times during the season. if you have the money it might not be a bad idea just to replace all of the motors except the blower motor and keep the old ones as spares. if the blower motor starts squeeking then get a new one asap. I've only burnt rice coal in mine and thats been fine all these years.

if you have any questions pm me

also Keystoker staff has been great in the past do not hesitate to call them. I've been out to the plant a few times picking up parts.

good luck with the stove
Mike

How do you lube the fan?
I don't think I have a flue sensor, what does it do?
Plus I want to pull the grates out and clean any fly ash out of it. It looks like its just cemented down, how do I pull them out without messing up anything?
gitrdonecoal
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Stove/Furnace Make: USSC
Stove/Furnace Model: Hotblast 1557

Re: can anyone identify this stove???? help

PostBy: Greyhound On: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:41 pm

If you pull off the combustion blower, you can get under the grates with a long vacuum tube extension. That way there is no reason to ruin the integrity of the grates. I don't know if this has changed in any of their designs, but I would not think so.

Rick
Greyhound
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Lenox Oil HA, Heat Pump

Re: can anyone identify this stove???? help

PostBy: muskymike3 On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:54 am

The blower fan motor if like mine has a couple of small holes at the bearing and fan blade end up top. you just add a few drops of a light weight oil to them. I use something like 3 in 1.

the sensor in the smoke pipe maintains the fire when their is not a call for heat. the owner of the stove may not have given you that with the stove. the stove also uses a thermostat to sense room temp. when it is extremely cold out and the stove is running 100 percent it will not cycle off much. The blower will always run though.

when my stove goes quiet thats when I get nervous.

keystoker can help you out. If you have no sensor sounds like you may need to call them anyway.
muskymike3
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker

Visit Lehigh Anthracite