My winter coal burning formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

My winter coal burning formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:53 am

Here is the initial "coal burned per day" formula (good only or my homes characteristics) that I've settled upon for 2014, using Blaschak pea in my S130 Coal Gun:

Coal burned for the day = HDD's x 1.47 + 4 lbs.

Where:
HDD's = Heating Degree Days (base 65) = 65 minus the days mean temperature
And 4 lbs. = coal used for the homes average daily DHW needs instead of home heating

Example for a daily (24 hour) mean temp of 20 degrees:
(65-20) x 1.47 +4 = 70.2 lbs. of coal

For comparison purposes, my formula used for all of last year (UAE Harmony pea) was:
Coal burned for the day = HDD's x 1.34 + 3.65

My coal consumption will be way up this winter.
Last edited by lsayre on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: My coal burning formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

PostBy: Lightning On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:58 am

Um, why would your coal consumption be way up? Are you expecting a colder than normal winter?
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

Re: My coal burning formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:00 am

Lightning wrote:Um, why would your coal consumption be way up? Are you expecting a colder than normal winter?


I should have clarified that on an HDD basis Blaschak is delivering close to 10% less BTU's per pound than Harmony did. If this winter is like last winter I will burn 10% more coal this winter than last.
Last edited by lsayre on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Re: My winter coal burning formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

PostBy: Rigar On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:03 am

im assuming ur not getting the "heat" from this yrs coal as you did last tear??
Rigar
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 150
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: A 150 warm air furnace

Re: My winter coal burning formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:04 am

Rigar wrote:im assuming ur not getting the "heat" from this yrs coal as you did last tear??


Correct!
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: My winter coal burning formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

PostBy: Rigar On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:07 am

lol....i dont know how you beat me to that-...must ha ve took a couple minutes to post! :lol:
Rigar
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 150
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: A 150 warm air furnace

Re: My winter coal burning formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

PostBy: Rigar On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:10 am

not to change the topic of this thread....but are you happy with ash content/amnt of this years coal compared to last?
see any difference?
Rigar
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 150
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: A 150 warm air furnace

Re: My winter coal burning formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:11 am

The summer difference was even more dramatic. I burned about 16 lbs. of Blaschak per day this summer (for DHW and to keep the fire alive), vs. about 13.5 lbs, of Harmony per day last summer.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: My winter coal burning formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:12 am

Rigar wrote:not to change the topic of this thread....but are you happy with ash content/amnt of this years coal compared to last?
see any difference?


Ash is way up for Blaschak vs. Harmony. I haven't quantified it yet, but it is quite noticeable. I'll also be doing a lot more ash removal this winter.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: My winter coal burning formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

PostBy: Lightning On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:14 am

Could there be other variables in play? More hot water consumption? Or possible heat transfer inhibited by fly ash?
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

Re: My winter coal burning formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

PostBy: dcrane On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:17 am

though I like Blaschak coal... since we have the luxury around here of having a chemist/engineer (aka=Larry) around here... im going to try Harmony since im clearly going to have to pay a premium either way :clap:
thanks for the heads up bro...
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: My winter coal burning formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:20 am

Lightning wrote:Could there be other variables in play? More hot water consumption? Or possible heat transfer inhibited by fly ash?


I don't think so. Gave it the same annual cleaning. The Coal Guns don't actually accumulate much ash over the course of a year. Also, my burn rate for Blaschak this season seems like it will be the mirror image of my burn rate for Blaschak 2 seasons ago.

Perhaps this is because I'm burning the exact same Blaschak as for 2 seasons ago. I do still have a different batch of Blaschak in the bin, but I'm working down my last super-sack of Blaschak first (so I can finally free up the garage for my car). Last season, despite still having the old Blaschak around, I switched to UAE Harmony as soon as it went int the bin, and I stayed with it until it was gone because it was amazing.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: My winter coal burning formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:21 am

dcrane wrote:though I like Blaschak coal... since we have the luxury around here of having a chemist/engineer (aka=Larry) around here... im going to try Harmony since im clearly going to have to pay a premium either way :clap:
thanks for the heads up bro...


I thought it didn't exist anymore. :?: :?: :?:
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: My winter coal burning formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

PostBy: titleist1 On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:24 am

very interesting comparison, thanks for the info. the harmony coal you are comparing, that was from the previous ownership, correct? I wonder if the characteristics changed at all since it re-opened.

I guess my general question would be are they stuck with the burn characteristics of the coal as it comes out of the ground or can that be changed with how it is processed at the breaker (for example adding 'bone')?

there aren't many dealers around here so i have only burned blaschak rice and have been happy enough to keep using it. when i used the hand fired i had a few options and the blaschak nut burned the best of what i had to choose from.
titleist1
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Re: My winter coal burning formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:25 am

titleist1 wrote:very interesting comparison, thanks for the info. the harmony coal you are comparing, that was from the previous ownership, correct? I wonder if the characteristics changed at all since it re-opened.

I guess my general question would be are they stuck with the burn characteristics of the coal as it comes out of the ground or can that be changed with how it is processed at the breaker (for example adding 'bone')?

there aren't many dealers around here so i have only burned blaschak rice and have been happy enough to keep using it. when i used the hand fired i had a few options and the blaschak nut burned the best of what i had to choose from.


Yes, it was real Harmony. The mine is now closed. The current folks occupying the same location are actually (to my understanding) getting their coal from elsewhere.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Visit Lehigh Anthracite