Benefits of a Hand Fired Stove

Benefits of a Hand Fired Stove

PostBy: SuperBeetle On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:47 am

1. No electric needed

2. Very few moving parts

3. Can burn multiple and different size fuels

4. Extremely quiet

5. Can cook on the top or right on the coals

Please feel free to add to the list :)
SuperBeetle
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Re: Benefits of a Hand Fired Stove

PostBy: ONEDOLLAR On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:49 am

Covers it pretty good I think.

6) Hand feds are MANLY stoves that real men use! Not that girly stoker stuff. :D
ONEDOLLAR
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford #2 Base Heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Re: Benefits of a Hand Fired Stove

PostBy: Lightning On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:16 am

I love my hand fed. I think there is some art and finesse that goes into operating one. It's rewarding to me 8-)
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Benefits of a Hand Fired Stove

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:33 am

MUCH less expensive than a stoker stove or boiler or furnace!!!
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Re: Benefits of a Hand Fired Stove

PostBy: Pacowy On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:40 am

Carbon12 wrote:MUCH less expensive than a stoker stove or boiler or furnace!!!


Hey, are you even allowed to make that kind of manly talk when you've chosen to run a KA-6??? :lol:

Mike
Pacowy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Re: Benefits of a Hand Fired Stove

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:53 am

After countless trips to the hardware store and HVAC supply house,....Yes! Lol! Copper pipe and fittings, PRV and back flow preventer, expansion tank, circulator, check valves, ball valves, solder, flux, hot air coil and lots of frustration entitles me! Fortunately I got the 4 year old KA-6 for (only) $2000.00. All the "accessories" cost about a grand more. The original asking price for the boiler was $3000.00 but I talked him down,...thank goodness. SOOOO,....it's all awash. House is nice and toasty throughout but I do miss my hand fired Hitzer 983.
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Re: Benefits of a Hand Fired Stove

PostBy: franco b On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:17 am

Lightning wrote:I love my hand fed. I think there is some art and finesse that goes into operating one. It's rewarding to me 8-)

I think that is a major reason for most of the members of this forum. Even users of a stoker miss their hand fed. A fascination with fire is in our genes. Most people though just want heat and view tending as just another chore without any enjoyment to compensate for the effort.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Benefits of a Hand Fired Stove

PostBy: dcrane On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:21 am

inexpensive parts that rarely fail (grate & piece of glass & a few feet door gasket pretty much sets it for life)
keeps you alive & toasty warm during power outages
can burn anything you wish to get rid of :lol:
can obtain some fantastic used stoves for literally pennies on the dollar and "know" exactly what your getting
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Benefits of a Hand Fired Stove

PostBy: DosDemiGod On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:24 am

I remember last year when I was shopping for my first stove, the salesman was doing his damn-est to sell me a stoker. I kept telling him I don't want something that will not work without electric. His response...come on..how often do you loose power and even when it does go out it is only for a few hours. Well I got my stove (Harmon TLC 2000) installed almost a week before Hurricane Sandy. We lost power for 10 days and I thought of that salesman every night as me and my family sat in the dark warm and toasty by my hand fired stove :) In my opinion a stove should be reliable, flexible and ready when you need it most. Just my 2 cents.
DosDemiGod
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC2000

Re: Benefits of a Hand Fired Stove

PostBy: SMITTY On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:27 am

Well hand me my pink skirt - I'm going girly! :woot: toothy



The novelty wore off for me after 5 seasons or so, but I continued on for a few more years. Didn't have a choice. Thankfully my good buddy Jim D. made the choice for me. 8-)

I've just got too much on my plate (namely trying to make a living), and the shaking, loading, waiting thing ...even though it was only every 24 hours .. was getting to be too much. By spring time, it was downright aggravating. I'd be going through my email, starting to nod off .. look at the clock and it's like 10:30 ... and I've got a pile of stuff to do the next day ... so start getting ready for bed .. then AWWW *censored*!! Gotta do the stove!! :x I'd be so pissed ...

"Hey honey - can you do the stove for me?" "NO!!" ...... "AW *censored*!!"

In order to get a 24 hour burn, I had to get all the ash out of there, so it would take me 45 minutes to an hour .. and even longer if the draft was low .. to get the stove refreshed.

I love the automation of the stoker - best thing I ever did! Wish I had done it 8 years ago. Live and learn. :lol:
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: Benefits of a Hand Fired Stove

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:36 am

Smitty,...if you can proudly go Girlie Man I don't feel bad. Stoker just makes sense if you're trying to heat a whole house. The hand fired stoves certainly CAN heat a whole house but are really best suited to heating less demanding spaces. I'm using a hot air coil installed in the oil furnace's plenum to distribute the heat. Already thinking of how to pipe subfloor hydronic radiant heat to the house or at least parts of it. Guess I'll just wait and see how my current set up works this winter. I'm glad you finally got your Frankenstein's Monster boiler installed before Halloween,.....and the cold weather! :D It's Alive!!!
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Re: Benefits of a Hand Fired Stove

PostBy: SMITTY On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks Carbon. :cheers: Getting that installed & running was a HUGE load off my shoulders. Now I can start trying to get caught up on the other billion things I had going on at the same time. That install took a large chunk of my time. ;)
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: Benefits of a Hand Fired Stove

PostBy: Bootstrap On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:52 am

SMITTY wrote:Well hand me my pink skirt - I'm going girly! :woot: toothy



The novelty wore off for me after 5 seasons or so, but I continued on for a few more years. Didn't have a choice. Thankfully my good buddy Jim D. made the choice for me. 8-)

I've just got too much on my plate (namely trying to make a living), and the shaking, loading, waiting thing ...even though it was only every 24 hours .. was getting to be too much. By spring time, it was downright aggravating. I'd be going through my email, starting to nod off .. look at the clock and it's like 10:30 ... and I've got a pile of stuff to do the next day ... so start getting ready for bed .. then AWWW *censored*!! Gotta do the stove!! :x I'd be so pissed ...

"Hey honey - can you do the stove for me?" "NO!!" ...... "AW *censored*!!"

In order to get a 24 hour burn, I had to get all the ash out of there, so it would take me 45 minutes to an hour .. and even longer if the draft was low .. to get the stove refreshed.

I love the automation of the stoker - best thing I ever did! Wish I had done it 8 years ago. Live and learn. :lol:


Wow. Well to each their own. Whatever works best for you I always say. The tending of my Hitzer is all of 5 minutes. 24 hour burns are no big deal in decent weather. Load up the hopper. Granted, with no power the blower wont work. And I'm not gonna run a generator just for that(I do have two generators).
I had a Harman. Good quality stove BUT.... The Hitzer is much easier to use. Tending times are much shorter, burn times are much longer.
Bootstrap
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 30-95

Re: Benefits of a Hand Fired Stove

PostBy: MudFlapLip On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:08 am

I love my hand fired stove and heat my entire house with it as primary heat. The DS is in the basement and heating 3600 sq. ft. No fans, motors or other moving parts susceptible to malfunction. If the power goes out during a snow storm while I'm at work, I just smile knowing my house will be toasty when I get home. Sure I have a generator but that's more for the well, septic etc. There's nothing like opening the front door and hitting a solid wall of heat that has no inconsistencies and finds its way into every nook and cranny of my house. I'll take a hand fired over a stoker any day. Either way they're both cheaper than fuel oil.
MudFlapLip
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S. Machine Stoves, DS1600WH Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Re: Benefits of a Hand Fired Stove

PostBy: SuperBeetle On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:02 pm

dcrane wrote:inexpensive parts that rarely fail (grate & piece of glass & a few feet door gasket pretty much sets it for life)
keeps you alive & toasty warm during power outages
can burn anything you wish to get rid of :lol:
can obtain some fantastic used stoves for literally pennies on the dollar and "know" exactly what your getting


You should see all the stuff I burn. Anything from cat *censored* to plastic. :shock: Not much trash during cold weather I can say. :shh:
SuperBeetle
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Visit Hitzer Stoves