Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

  • Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: scalabro On: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Crow Horse wrote:Sorry, not going to take the bait......

Let's get back to ET's.....


No bait just facts.

Sorry but I can't stand that "Pristine Myth" bullshite

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~alcoze/for398/c ... emyth.html
scalabro
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14 in the works.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: Crow Horse On: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:48 pm

Carbon12 wrote:It's not our intelligence, or lack there of, that is destroying the planet's ecosystems, it's our sheer numbers, which have been made possible by our intelligence.


You are right. Overpopulation is a huge factor. Not as large a factor but it still carries some weight is greed. We really are a society that kills it's grandchildren to feed it's children......
Crow Horse
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Golden Flame
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: kero

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: scalabro On: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:08 pm

Actually, people following their own legitimate self interest (Greed) has resulted in modern medicine, better housing, safer food, higher education, longer lifespans etc. I could go on and on and on.

The trick is to use the good side of greed to benefit mankind.
scalabro
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14 in the works.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.


Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: franco b On: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:35 pm

Gekko wrote:Actually, people following their own legitimate self interest (Greed) has resulted in modern medicine, better housing, safer food, higher education, longer lifespans etc. I could go on and on and on.


Actually the word greed has been distorted as it has been here used. Greed is the acquisition beyond reasonable self interest. Self interest is not greed. We can thank the liberals for this new usage who accuse everyone but themselves.

Sorry, but i hate to see either science or history distorted by shabby politics.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: Crow Horse On: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:37 pm

It's obvious that Gekko and I disagree on many issues and to continue the course this thread has taken will bring us further from where we started. Admittedly I played a role in that detour. Maybe we can get back on track and discuss ET's...
This stalemate of opinions no longer serves the forum. So lets agree to disagree and move on....

Regarding ET's

Alien abductions, what's your opinion?
Crow Horse
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Golden Flame
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: kero

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:38 pm

They're a pain in my butt! :lol:
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: KLook On: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:03 pm

We grew up in an area that had many interesting objects in the sky, and the view was spectacular in rural Maine back in the 60's and 70's. No light pollution. But we never had any abductions that I know of.

Kevin
KLook
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: scalabro On: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:05 pm

Crow Horse wrote:It's obvious that Gekko and I disagree on many issues and to continue the course this thread has taken will bring us further from where we started. Admittedly I played a role in that detour. Maybe we can get back on track and discuss ET's...
This stalemate of opinions no longer serves the forum. So lets agree to disagree and move on....

Regarding ET's

Alien abductions, what's your opinion?


Opinions.....really?

I posted facts, you posted new age bullshit.
scalabro
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14 in the works.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: gaw On: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:30 pm

My years of research on the subject which consists mainly of listening to Coast to Coast for about 20 years leads me to the following conclusion. There are three main types of abductees. The Bullshitter, The Insane, and the Drug user (or addict). You can mix and match among these three primary types to create secondary types, kind of like mixing yellow and blue to get green you can have a crazy bullshitter or a stoned bullshitter or a crazy drug addict. Should I ever get abducted they better send me back with some type of inexplicable souvenir as proof or else I hope someone gets me to the psyche ward pretty damn quick.
gaw
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:04 pm

Despite having seen what could easily be classified as a UFO (and certainly was to my mind), and despite believing that the universe is certainly vast enough for other life (including intelligent life) to be out there, I realize that the distances and the energy expense are too great for there to be any serious likelihood that we have actually had contact, so I must force myself to assume that whatever we saw when I was a teenager was of earthly and not extraterrestrial origin. UFO does not (necessarily) equal extraterrestrial.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13 KW)

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: Crow Horse On: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:19 pm

I can say with any degree of certainty that what we witnessed was 100% piloted by ET's. Experimental military aircraft are a distinct possibility but in my mind's eye, I lean towards ET's. However, at the end of the day, I simply don't know......
Crow Horse
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Golden Flame
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: kero

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:42 pm

I believe the possibility of other life is out there just because of the vastness of the universe. I don't really believe they are or have been here. As far as how advanced I have no clue. I am convinced we are at the point the further advanced we get the worse off we may end up. My opinion is worth every penny you paid so take that for consideration. :)
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: coalkirk On: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:54 pm

lsayre wrote:Despite having seen what could easily be classified as a UFO (and certainly was to my mind), and despite believing that the universe is certainly vast enough for other life (including intelligent life) to be out there, I realize that the distances and the energy expense are too great for there to be any serious likelihood that we have actually had contact, so I must force myself to assume that whatever we saw when I was a teenager was of earthly and not extraterrestrial origin. UFO does not (necessarily) equal extraterrestrial.


Your point about the distances being too great and the amount of energy required too great makes sense within the realm of our knowledge and understanding of physics. But I hold out the possibility that there are things possible that we cannot imagine at this point. :idea: :idea:
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: Crow Horse On: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:33 pm

Our knowledge of physics is changing on almost a daily basis. Not only classical physics but quantum physics as well. Now there is evidence that suggests the two, which were at opposite ends of the spectrum, could very well co-exist.....
Interstellar travel, worm holes, propulsion systems undreamed of, could very well be a reality which could be mastered....
Crow Horse
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Golden Flame
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: kero

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: Crow Horse On: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:48 pm

There are many mysteries regarding ancient civilizations who created precision monolithic structures or designs on the ground that could only be viewed from the air, that makes one wonder. Why would they invest so much time and energy into these things?
Crow Horse
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Golden Flame
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: kero