Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

  • Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: Crow Horse On: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:16 pm

It has been suggested that it's a duplicate Universe of this one and that we have multiple identities. I won't agree or disagree on this but it is a possibility....
Crow Horse
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Golden Flame
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: kero

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: rberq On: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Lightning wrote:I hope I'm still around to see the day that a probe is sent to Europa to burrow thru the ice into the ocean underneath it.

Oh, great, the probe will be contaminated with a few earth viruses and we will wipe out our nearest neighbors before we even meet them.

Crow Horse wrote:It would be the height of arrogance to believe that we are alone

There’s an argument that goes something like this; I won’t have the actual numbers right, but you get the point:
Assume that one single civilization develops the technology to traverse interstellar space and colonize other stars, and does so. Assume that every million years each colony spawns another, thereby doubling the number of stars colonized. After a couple billion years, the number of colonies will be 2 to the 2000th power, a god-awful big number, so they should be here by now. If they are not here already, it is because they don’t exist.
.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: tjnamtiw On: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:23 pm

Just got done watching the first installment of the new series 'Cosmos' and it really puts in perspective how small we are in the scheme of the universe and how little of the total time of existence of that universe we as humans have occupied. I encourage all you deep thinkers to try to wrap your mind around what's presented.
tjnamtiw
 
Other Heating: Sopka Cook stove


Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: snuffy On: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:53 pm

As a Christian I see our Universe as just a single cell drifting around with a purpose in God's large body. It helps me to put it all in perspective and one day He Will share it with us - if we deserve such a fate.
snuffy
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: Crow Horse On: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:25 am

Maybe the reason "they aren't here" is our track record. Consider this. In the century that we just left, 185 million people (men, women, and children)) died at the hands of those who wage war. This doesn't include the number of combatants. The injury humankind inflicts upon itself is staggering. Not only do we destroy ourselves, we destroy the very thing that sustains us, Earth Mother. We aren't a very attractive neighbor to drop in on and visit. We are a pretty good Petri dish experiment.
Crow Horse
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Golden Flame
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: kero

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: GA cracker On: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:09 am

Years ago a friend and I were looking at stars one evening. This friend had at one time worked for NASA. After I commented on how they looked, he told me there was a good probability that the source of the light was not there anymore. As he explained the distance that the light had to travel the star may have become a super nova by now. This made me sad and very small also changing my view of the small world I live.
Cracker
GA cracker
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark iii
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: Central heat and air

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: samhill On: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:56 am

Snuffy, if we are a single cell I hope the hell we quit acting like a cancer cell. Could it be we were just an experiment to see how many of the seeded planets learn to live & survive together?
samhill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: Crow Horse On: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:04 pm

In considering ET's, we must go beyond thinking our technology is the limiting factor. Just by them visiting us, it tells us that they are far more advanced than us in ways that we probably can't comprehend.....
Crow Horse
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Golden Flame
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: kero

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: titleist1 On: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:40 pm

i think they have been here already but they use a little flashy thing to erase our memories of them. :idea:
titleist1
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: franco b On: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:49 pm

While the odds are against life beyond the virus or bacteria level I think they are astronomical against intelligent life.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: rberq On: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:20 pm

franco b wrote:While the odds are against life beyond the virus or bacteria level I think they are astronomical against intelligent life.

I take it you offer our own human race as evidence. :|
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: franco b On: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:58 pm

rberq wrote:
franco b wrote:While the odds are against life beyond the virus or bacteria level I think they are astronomical against intelligent life.

I take it you offer our own human race as evidence. :|


Yes. Out of all the millions of species we are the only one. That has taken about 4 billion years. Technology though seems to advance at an ever increasing pace once it takes hold. On the other hand there were and maybe still are people living in the stone age until very recently and those people had modern intelligence yet did not advance very far adding still more odds that even though intelligence may exist it might not advance beyond subsistence level.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: snuffy On: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:28 pm

samhill wrote:Snuffy, if we are a single cell I hope the hell we quit acting like a cancer cell. Could it be we were just an experiment to see how many of the seeded planets learn to live & survive together?

As I understand my Catholic Theology that's what we need to strive for otherwise we will be weeded. Getting to this state is the challenge but if we follow the commandments it sure seems easier for admittance. I think God's biggest challenge with Man is the "free will" thing. Everything else is simply programmatic! My thoughts!!
snuffy
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: samhill On: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:26 pm

Think of it this way, if there are other forms of intelligent life they would more than likely be at par or below us & not have the ability to visit or far more intelligent to want to do so. :roll:
samhill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:33 pm

We may not be all that interesting.
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace