Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

  • Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: Lightning On: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:06 pm

It seems more and more that there is potential for life beyond our own little blue planet..

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/20 ... e-planets/
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: lsayre On: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:19 pm

Given the vastness of the universe, it's likely out there somewhere. But if it was intelligent life, would that mean that Jesus has to die over and over again almost endlessly on all of the different planets with intelligent life in order to bring the hope of salvation to one and all on each of them?
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: grumpy On: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:23 pm

They may not be close but no way we are alone.
grumpy
 


Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:26 pm

It is equally amazing to think that there exists and also does not exist intelligent life somewhere in the Universe. I'm just not sure WE fully qualify as intelligent life,.....yet :lol:
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: grumpy On: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Carbon12 wrote:It is equally amazing to think that there exists and also does not exist intelligent life somewhere in the Universe. I'm just not sure WE fully qualify as intelligent life,.....yet :lol:



No, and we may never be ....
grumpy
 

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: titleist1 On: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:29 pm

lsayre wrote:Given the vastness of the universe, it's likely out there somewhere. But if it was intelligent life, would that mean that Jesus has to die over and over again almost endlessly on all of the different planets with intelligent life in order to bring the hope of salvation to one and all on each of them?


just maybe they are more intelligent than us (not a stretch) and didn't need to be saved :idea:
titleist1
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: lsayre On: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:35 pm

titleist1 wrote:
lsayre wrote:Given the vastness of the universe, it's likely out there somewhere. But if it was intelligent life, would that mean that Jesus has to die over and over again almost endlessly on all of the different planets with intelligent life in order to bring the hope of salvation to one and all on each of them?


just maybe they are more intelligent than us (not a stretch) and didn't need to be saved :idea:


I only tossed this out because I heard it is an actual reason why many devout Christians believe there can not be any other life (intelligent at least) anywhere else in the universe except here on earth.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: grumpy On: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:40 pm

lsayre wrote:
titleist1 wrote:
lsayre wrote:Given the vastness of the universe, it's likely out there somewhere. But if it was intelligent life, would that mean that Jesus has to die over and over again almost endlessly on all of the different planets with intelligent life in order to bring the hope of salvation to one and all on each of them?


just maybe they are more intelligent than us (not a stretch) and didn't need to be saved :idea:


I only tossed this out because I heard it is an actual reason why many devout Christians believe there can not be any other life (intelligent at least) anywhere else in the universe except here on earth.



The Drake equation says there should be 10,000 other planets like us out there, and thats old..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation
grumpy
 

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: lsayre On: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:43 pm

grumpy wrote:The Drake equation says there should be 10,000 other planets like us out there, and thats old..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation


And that's only in our galaxy. There are virtually countless other galaxies out there. Far more galaxies exist than the number of stars in our own galaxy.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: grumpy On: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:47 pm

I know, it is mind boggling , they find new ones all the time it seems, it's really hard to wrap your head around it. Just what is the universe and just how big is it. Maybe we're just living in someones fishbowl..
grumpy
 

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:15 pm

With the size of the universe I believe there is other life somewhere. How well developed who knows. I know for a fact there is no intelligent life in Wash DC.
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: grumpy On: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Flyer5 wrote:With the size of the universe I believe there is other life somewhere. How well developed who knows. I know for a fact there is no intelligent life in Wash DC.



:clap: :clap: Yeah, you got that right..
grumpy
 

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: Lightning On: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:21 pm

Being a science guy, I'm not on board with the whole biblical thing. I've tried going to church recently looking for answers but it only confused me more lol. It all seems so outlandish to me. But that's probably good debate too.

With the vastness and billions of places that have potential for life, I think it's absurd to think that we are the only intelligence in the universe.
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: grumpy On: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:25 pm

Lightning wrote:Being a science guy, I'm not on board with the whole biblical thing. I've tried going to church recently looking for answers but it only confused me more lol. It all seems so outlandish to me. But that's probably good debate too.

With the vastness and billions of places that have potential for life, I think it's absurd to think that we are the only intelligence in the universe.



Here is something for ya... I have no opinion on this ....

Bill Nye Boo'd In Texas For Saying The Moon Reflects The Sun

http://www.thinkatheist.com/profiles/bl ... -texas-for
grumpy
 

Re: Extraterrestrial Life? Why Not?

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Lightning : I'm a science guy too. An episode of Night Court put it all in perspective for me. In the sage words of Judge Harold T. Stone,..."I don't believe in any ONE form of organized Religion,....and neither does God." Chose your beliefs and believe what you choose. If you run the numbers, we who believe in a Christian deity are in the vast minority,....on this planet,...at least.
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace