OOPS..I forgot to check the stoker!!!!!

Re: OOPS..I forgot to check the stoker!!!!!

PostBy: Rob R. On: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:15 pm

I am not sure. If the fire tube was full of ash and the fan was sucking air through the transfer head...the fire will try to,go where there is coal and air. I have seen a S130 Coal Gun with the paint scorched right off the hopper because the bolt fell out of the ash tray linkage. On an Axeman it can't burn down the auger, and I have always seen that as an advantage.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: OOPS..I forgot to check the stoker!!!!!

PostBy: SMITTY On: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Holy CORE MELTDOWN! :lol:
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: OOPS..I forgot to check the stoker!!!!!

PostBy: Pacowy On: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:22 am

Rob R. wrote: I make an effort to take excellent care of my machinery, so up until now I have never really thought about which unit can take the most abuse.


I think Rob has gotten to the heart of this misguided attempt to draw conclusions about equipment on the basis of blatantly improper use. If improperly maintained and operated, a battleship can blow itself up in ways a rowboat can't. That fact doesn't tell you anything useful about the relative capabilities of the two when they are used properly.

Mike
Pacowy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Re: OOPS..I forgot to check the stoker!!!!!

PostBy: stovepipemike On: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:22 am

Treat good equipment carelessly and very bad happenings will result. Period. Mike
stovepipemike
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: KAA-2

Re: OOPS..I forgot to check the stoker!!!!!

PostBy: Townsend On: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:54 am

Wow!!! Beware to all thee OTEFM (Other Than EFM) owners, don't even dare joke as to your boiler's perceived strengths without the EFM fanatics crying foul and labeling your comments as "misguided" inane talk or saying "here we go again" and they then go on yet again and propose hypothetical theories as to a boiler's demise should "X" event happen.

I mean come on, one solitary arrow cast at the EFM camp (be it in jest or not) and it's circle the wagons time to battle the heathens who know not better and need to be taught a lesson,... often by "quibbling" them into submission.

Is the EFM with the burnt out pot dead and gone? Clearly not! As pointed out earlier a replacement fire-pot, hopefully put in by MatthewD a man whom I admire both for his prowess at boiler repair and in his open mindedness as to boiler brands, would have it back in running order in short order.

I think anyone that knows me or reads my posts as a member here for seven years, sees me as an open minded coal burning aficionado that happens to own an Axeman, yet loves all boilers and wishes, quite frankly, that I was like Whistlenut, packing my properties with various makes and models of black rock burning beauties. But Alas, it is a solitary Axeman 260 that I have been blessed with and most happily own. Hence I assuage thee EFMers to allow this minority member of the stoker section to cast but a few rubber arrows every now and then; if only to humor you then I have succeeded.
Townsend
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Buck

Re: OOPS..I forgot to check the stoker!!!!!

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:02 am

This is a good example of the limitations of communicating with just text…it is very tough to tell if someone is poking fun, serious, angry, etc. I certainly wasn’t offended by anyone, and didn’t intend to come across like I was barking at anyone.

The “this is better than that” discussions have been going on this forum for years. Cast iron vs. steel stoves, underfed vs. carpet fed stoker, space heater vs boiler, EFM vs. Axeman, LL vs Keystoker, etc. That is all I was referring to with my “here we go again comment”. I’d like to think that I participate in a lot of different discussions on this board in an objective manner, but I guess it might not seem that way to everyone. I wanted to discuss what can happen to different machines when the ashes are grossly neglected. If it seemed like I was creating a laundry list of Axeman faults, that wasn’t my intent. Just last week I got blasted for saying an Axeman was a more refined machine than something else...guess I better find a middle ground. :)

We all have different preferences and ideas, and that is what keeps things interesting on the board.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: OOPS..I forgot to check the stoker!!!!!

PostBy: Pacowy On: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Townsend wrote: I think anyone that knows me or reads my posts as a member here for seven years, sees me as an open minded coal burning aficionado that happens to own an Axeman, yet loves all boilers and wishes, quite frankly, that I was like Whistlenut, packing my properties with various makes and models of black rock burning beauties. But Alas, it is a solitary Axeman 260 that I have been blessed with and most happily own. Hence I assuage thee EFMers to allow this minority member of the stoker section to cast but a few rubber arrows every now and then; if only to humor you then I have succeeded.


The thing that humors me is the irony of this paragraph. The reader is apparently supposed to accept as truthful this claim of open-mindedness and love of all boilers, but somehow know when to ignore the numerous partisan posts that seek single-mindedly to elevate the stature of the equipment he chose to use. I agree with Rob that the rubber arrows - if that's what they are - are often not an effective way to communicate in this medium. I've read a lot of Townsend's posts, and found many of them to be informative about AA's, steam piping, etc. But I really don't need to be told what to think or say or how I should feel about coal equipment of any variety.

Mike
Pacowy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Re: OOPS..I forgot to check the stoker!!!!!

PostBy: titleist1 On: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:13 pm

Rob R. wrote:This is a good example of the limitations of communicating with just text…it is very tough to tell if someone is poking fun, serious, angry, etc.


Very true....it is hard sometimes to decipher the tone by reading text...however

liberal use of the little smiley selections by the writer helps a lot .......

and some latitude and benefit of the doubt slanted toward humor by the reader also helps a lot.

one thing to keep in mind is the general positive atmosphere and lack of condescending posts or flaming on this board when it comes to coal burning topics. even on the eternal manual vs baro debate some humor creeps into the discussion and most seem to take the approach that whatever works best for your installation is best for you. also, questions that get asked again and again are generally answered patiently without veteran members squashing the newb telling them they are wasting their precious bandwidth by not searching before posting. Certainly this is not the case at other discussion forums i frequent where some supposed internet expert likes to beat down anyone and everyone with their supposed superior expertise boosting their own ego in the process. on those boards the first instinct is to think here we go again with another flame thread. Based on 5+ years of reading I do not believe that should be the first instinct here.

I think the positive attitude generally shown here should lead to reading the posts with a positive slant rather than first jumping toward the side of 'he just called my baby ugly' approach! :) if after a few posts it is determined that somebody really did call your baby ugly, then respond appropriately or :idea: ignore :idea: the post.

fyi...i don't have an EFM, AHS or AA so I initially read the comments as just poking a little fun....
titleist1
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Re: OOPS..I forgot to check the stoker!!!!!

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:38 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:This is an obvious case of sabotage by Matt and Dave at Leisure Line. I never thought they would stoop this low and offer the tenant a free t-shirt that reads "Wanna see my Stoker" in exchange for not emptying the ash bucket. I guess they'll do anything to sell a boiler nowadays! ;)




:funny: :clap: Thanks.
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: OOPS..I forgot to check the stoker!!!!!

PostBy: KLook On: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:47 pm

I want a t shirt and one of their stokers. 8-) :D

Kevin
KLook
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

Re: OOPS..I forgot to check the stoker!!!!!

PostBy: blrman07 On: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:29 am

Keep the T shirt I'll just take one little stoker, like that one in the corner. It looks lonely sitting there all by itself. I'll adopt it and give it a forever home.

Rev. Larry
blrman07
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Bucket a Day
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant Casting 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: rebuilding a 1906 March Brownback Double Heater, using a UMCO 1920's Pot Belly stove in the church
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Wood in the VC and anything that will fit in the Bucket a Day. It's not fussy.

Re: OOPS..I forgot to check the stoker!!!!!

PostBy: Townsend On: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:07 am

Pacowy wrote:
Townsend wrote: I think anyone that knows me or reads my posts as a member here for seven years, sees me as an open minded coal burning aficionado that happens to own an Axeman, yet loves all boilers and wishes, quite frankly, that I was like Whistlenut, packing my properties with various makes and models of black rock burning beauties. But Alas, it is a solitary Axeman 260 that I have been blessed with and most happily own. Hence I assuage thee EFMers to allow this minority member of the stoker section to cast but a few rubber arrows every now and then; if only to humor you then I have succeeded.


The thing that humors me is the irony of this paragraph. The reader is apparently supposed to accept as truthful this claim of open-mindedness and love of all boilers, but somehow know when to ignore the numerous partisan posts that seek single-mindedly to elevate the stature of the equipment he chose to use. I agree with Rob that the rubber arrows - if that's what they are - are often not an effective way to communicate in this medium. I've read a lot of Townsend's posts, and found many of them to be informative about AA's, steam piping, etc. But I really don't need to be told what to think or say or how I should feel about coal equipment of any variety.

Mike


Mike, please post where I have gone so far as to bombard others to choose my boilers make without any exceptions to other makes. When the hell have I ever came across demanding everyone get an Axeman???? So my love for it is pronounced that you take it as me pushing it down people's throats? Then you have much different filters than I believe most people have. The only thing ironic is that paragraph reflects more what you deem the proper boiler than anyone. Especially when you are trying to sell an overpriced boiler.



Keep PMing people Mike about your glorious boiler.
Last edited by Townsend on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Townsend
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Buck

Re: OOPS..I forgot to check the stoker!!!!!

PostBy: Townsend On: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:12 am

Rob, thanks for your comment. You always seem to go above and beyond the call of duty to help others in need of assistance. Regardless of make or model you seem to know a great deal of the workings of the boiler, be it plumbing or electronics. I know you helped me immensely with my Axeman install. Thank You! Keep up the good work.
Last edited by Townsend on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Townsend
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Buck

Re: OOPS..I forgot to check the stoker!!!!!

PostBy: waldo lemieux On: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:18 am

Are either of you guys related to my ex-wife? Incoming.... :bag:
waldo lemieux
 
Stove/Furnace Make: efm
Stove/Furnace Model: s-20

Re: OOPS..I forgot to check the stoker!!!!!

PostBy: Townsend On: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:31 am

waldo lemieux wrote:Are either of you guys related to my ex-wife? Incoming.... :bag:


Was she that much of a sweetheart Lemieux?? :D :oops:
Townsend
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Buck

Visit Lehigh Anthracite