While I wait for the parts to get plated I need to attend to a few things. One of them was a little cap that goes on the door hinges that was damaged somewhere during its lifetime. There are 16 of these little buggers on this stove. I count myself extremely fortunate that only one was damaged, and at least was there, so I could account for all the parts. I'm going to show things on this thread that I try that don't work. My motto at times is " I've never made a mistake but I've made a lot of prototypes that didn't work." Don't give up. If what you did won't work, think up something else. Maybe that won't work either, but there's really no limit on ideas that don't work.
Here's one of them. I tried to salvage the damaged cap by making a special couple of tools to re-shape it (it's made in two parts, crimped together). It had been smashed and I tried to get it close, then braze it to hold it together. NOT! Too delicate and damaged for that. I tried to drill it and tap it by turning it with the lathe, then putting it in a socket and drilling it by hand, but that didn't work either. I decided to completely make a new copy. Here are the mistakes: