keystoker k2 coal boiler temperature

Re: keystoker k2 coal boiler temperature

PostBy: alcm000 On: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:11 pm

Okay, so we are back. We really thought the aqua stat was our problem, but it seems that it was not. We have replaced it and we have found that we are still experiencing the same problem: we cannot get the boiler to get up to temperature. It seems to linger at 125 - 130 degrees. We have completely cleaned the chimney and all piping from the boiler. We have removed, cleaned, and replaced the nylon screws on the push bar (as suggested by Keystoker). We have cleaned all the grate holes and under the grates with a vacuum. We have replaced the combustion motor (also suggested by Keystoker), but we cannot seem to figure this out. We are completely frustrated now and don't know what else to do. If we turn off all four of our zones, they boiler will go up to temp, but not if they are calling for heat or water. So, we are back here hoping that someone has some other things for us to try, since we are in upstate NY and it is freezing here right now.
alcm000
 

Re: keystoker k2 coal boiler temperature

PostBy: McGiever On: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:21 pm

Tell us your stack temps, please.

So far you only speak of water temps...we need more info.
We added more pins, but still there is no change


Just so you know, pins only keep the fire from going out...no other purpose.
It's only the aquastat that control water temps.
Last edited by McGiever on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McGiever
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Re: keystoker k2 coal boiler temperature

PostBy: alcm000 On: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:26 pm

McGiever wrote:Tell us your stack temps, please.

So far you only speak of water temps...we need more info.


The boiler will only get to 125 or 130 degrees. We have our aqua stat set at 160/180 for the winter.
alcm000
 

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Re: keystoker k2 coal boiler temperature

PostBy: McGiever On: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:27 pm

alcm000 wrote:
McGiever wrote:Tell us your stack temps, please.

So far you only speak of water temps...we need more info.


The boiler will only get to 125 or 130 degrees. We have our aqua stat set at 160/180 for the winter.


Stove pipe, not water temps.

But what model aquastat did you install when you replaced the other one?

How many pounds of coal per day?
Last edited by McGiever on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McGiever
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Re: keystoker k2 coal boiler temperature

PostBy: alcm000 On: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:30 pm

How would we find out the temp of the stove pipe?
alcm000
 

Re: keystoker k2 coal boiler temperature

PostBy: alcm000 On: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:32 pm

We put the same exact type of aqua stat on that was on it. It is a Honeywell.
alcm000
 

Re: keystoker k2 coal boiler temperature

PostBy: McGiever On: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:33 pm

alcm000 wrote:How would we find out the temp of the stove pipe?


Magnetic stove thermometer sold at hardware, stove shop, big box or Walmart
McGiever
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Re: keystoker k2 coal boiler temperature

PostBy: alcm000 On: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:34 pm

We are burning approximately 60 pounds of coal per day. That is our normal amount for this time of year in NY, but this year we are unable to get the boiler to get up to temperature and be able to produce the heat that our home needs.
alcm000
 

Re: keystoker k2 coal boiler temperature

PostBy: alcm000 On: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:35 pm

McGiever wrote:
alcm000 wrote:How would we find out the temp of the stove pipe?


Magnetic stove thermometer sold at hardware, stove shop, big box or Walmart


Thanks, we can pick one of these up, what temp should we see on this thermometer?
alcm000
 

Re: keystoker k2 coal boiler temperature

PostBy: McGiever On: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:43 pm

That depends, maybe somewhere near 235-275*F. With temp problems you're having it's hard to say, but whatever it is it will have some meaning as to what the fire is doing...stuff in=stuff out.

How many lbs. coal per day?

But what model aquastat did you install when you replaced the other one?
McGiever
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Re: keystoker k2 coal boiler temperature

PostBy: lsayre On: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:46 pm

alcm000 wrote:We are burning approximately 60 pounds of coal per day. That is our normal amount for this time of year in NY, but this year we are unable to get the boiler to get up to temperature and be able to produce the heat that our home needs.


It's definitely been colder this winter than the past few winters. I would think you should be burning more coal than the norm of the past few winters.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13 KW)

Re: keystoker k2 coal boiler temperature

PostBy: alcm000 On: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:48 pm

McGiever wrote:That depends, maybe somewhere near 235-275*F. With temp problems you're having it's hard to say, but whatever it is it will have some meaning as to what the fire is doing...stuff in=stuff out.

How many lbs. coal per day?

But what model aquastat did you install when you replaced the other one?


Model L8124A

Approximately 60 lbs per day, which is our normal amount for this time of year in NY.
alcm000
 

Re: keystoker k2 coal boiler temperature

PostBy: alcm000 On: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:50 pm

lsayre wrote:
alcm000 wrote:We are burning approximately 60 pounds of coal per day. That is our normal amount for this time of year in NY, but this year we are unable to get the boiler to get up to temperature and be able to produce the heat that our home needs.


It's definitely been colder this winter than the past few winters. I would think you should be burning more coal than the norm of the past few winters.


We have been a little, on the colder days, but mostly because we have it turned all the way up, trying to get some heat out of it, but no more that 80 lbs a day.
alcm000
 

Re: keystoker k2 coal boiler temperature

PostBy: lsayre On: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:52 pm

How many sq-ft are you heating, and how old is your house? How well insulated is it overall?
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13 KW)

Re: keystoker k2 coal boiler temperature

PostBy: McGiever On: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:56 pm

lsayre wrote:How many sq-ft are you heating, and how old is your house? How well insulated is it overall?


coalkirk wrote:So you've had it for 5 years and if I understand you had no problems the first 3 years. So obviously something has changed. Did you always have the 3 heating zones and the domestic hot water? Same number of people living in the home? Any changes to the home? Same coal? How many sq. ft. are you heating? Flue pipe was cleaned of fly ash before this heating season? Do you have a manometer to check your draft? It has been a very cold fall this year.


alcm000 wrote:Yes, it was fine for our first three years. Nothing has changed in our home; same zones, water, and number of people. We have cleaned everything this year. We are heating approximately 1800 sq. ft.


It worked fine for 3 years...something has changed for the worse. :roll:
Last edited by McGiever on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
McGiever
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Visit Lehigh Anthracite