carlherrnstein wrote:I'll vote for the Aladdin mantle lamps. I picked up 2 of them a yard sale for cheep. You do have to watch them, they have their particularities, mainly the mantle breaks or gets carbon deposits on it.
Yes, you have to learn how to use them. The two I use the most is the one in the living room. It is lit on most winter nights. And the one on my desk which is lit all the time. Once you learn how the lamp behaves you know just how high to set it so that you don't get the sooting up of the mantle from having the wick too high. You must be patient. It's not the actual flame from the wick that makes the light, it's the heat from it. As the lamp warms up it causes the kerosene in the wick to vaporize faster, which causes a higher flame. If you start the lamp and leave it on a low setting, you will notice it getting brighter all by itself as it warms up. After about 10 minutes or so everything is up to temperature and then you can tweak the setting for it properly.