Just got my stove thermometers...how do my temps 'stack' up?

Just got my stove thermometers...how do my temps 'stack' up?

PostBy: Ndcoal On: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:20 pm

I just received 3 condor magnetic stove thermometers. So of course I threw them on the stove..

I put the stove temp on the cast iron feed door close to the coals. It reads 450F.

I put one stack temp about a foot away from where the stove exhaust exits. It reads about 275F.

I put my other stack temp a number of feet away, a bit after the barometric damper, very close to where it enters into the brick chimney. It reads about 170F.

My living room is 70-71 F depending on where I go. It's about 10F outside.

My units are designed for wood stoves and have creosote indicators, though I suppose that isn't as critical with coal (though I read lignite can produce some creosote?). They give ideal stove operating temp guidelines and I'm about 50 degrees F inside the ideal stove operating range as suggested by condor. Are those guidelines valid for coal as well?
Ndcoal
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Shelter 2626

Re: Just got my stove thermometers...how do my temps 'stack' up?

PostBy: lowfog01 On: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Ndcoal wrote:I just received 3 condor magnetic stove thermometers. So of course I threw them on the stove..

I put the stove temp on the cast iron feed door close to the coals. It reads 450F.

I put one stack temp about a foot away from where the stove exhaust exits. It reads about 275F.

I put my other stack temp a number of feet away, a bit after the barometric damper, very close to where it enters into the brick chimney. It reads about 170F.

My living room is 70-71 F depending on where I go. It's about 10F outside.

My units are designed for wood stoves and have creosote indicators, though I suppose that isn't as critical with coal (though I read lignite can produce some creosote?). They give ideal stove operating temp guidelines and I'm about 50 degrees F inside the ideal stove operating range as suggested by condor. Are those guidelines valid for coal as well?


I believe the difference between the feed door - 450* and the other side of the barro - 170* is the amount of heat you are keeping in your room, not sending up the chimney. I have thermometers designed for wood stoves, too. They may not be perfect but they give me a good idea of where I stand. The degree of heat will be the same regardless of the fuel. Just watch your stove's max high temps and try not to go over it although that does happen. Lisa
lowfog01
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I

Re: Just got my stove thermometers...how do my temps 'stack' up?

PostBy: Lightning On: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:34 pm

Those temps look good. Comparing temps to another member's isn't really beneficial. Every installation will vary based on their unique situation. Use the temps for you own reference. Normally you want to see the most difference in temperature between the stove and pipe since that indicates you are getting the most heat you can before it goes up the chimney :D

Temperture above the barometric will vary based on how much room air is mixing with the flue gases so I never considered it a meaningful reading.
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Just got my stove thermometers...how do my temps 'stack' up?

PostBy: Ndcoal On: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:40 pm

lowfog01 wrote:
Ndcoal wrote:I just received 3 condor magnetic stove thermometers. So of course I threw them on the stove..

I put the stove temp on the cast iron feed door close to the coals. It reads 450F.

I put one stack temp about a foot away from where the stove exhaust exits. It reads about 275F.

I put my other stack temp a number of feet away, a bit after the barometric damper, very close to where it enters into the brick chimney. It reads about 170F.

My living room is 70-71 F depending on where I go. It's about 10F outside.

My units are designed for wood stoves and have creosote indicators, though I suppose that isn't as critical with coal (though I read lignite can produce some creosote?). They give ideal stove operating temp guidelines and I'm about 50 degrees F inside the ideal stove operating range as suggested by condor. Are those guidelines valid for coal as well?


I believe the difference between the feed door - 450* and the other side of the barro - 170* is the amount of heat you are keeping in your room, not sending up the chimney. I have thermometers designed for wood stoves, too. They may not be perfect but they give me a good idea of where I stand. The degree of heat will be the same regardless of the fuel. Just watch your stove's max high temps and try not to go over it although that does happen. Lisa


Thanks! Although this house is 100 years old without the best insulation, it does have a 35 ft central chimney that radiates heat on every floor as it exits. It runs through and keeps the upstairs bathroom toasty warm! So I'm sure I'm getting extra efficiency from the chimney.
Ndcoal
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Shelter 2626

Re: Just got my stove thermometers...how do my temps 'stack' up?

PostBy: freetown fred On: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:42 pm

Temps look real good & placement is perfect Ndc :) JUst heard from my nephew out in Fargo--YEP--chilly indeed--his company deals with derailed/ accidents w/ trains---seems to be a bunch out that way???
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Just got my stove thermometers...how do my temps 'stack' up?

PostBy: Ndcoal On: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:28 pm

freetown fred wrote:Temps look real good & placement is perfect Ndc :) JUst heard from my nephew out in Fargo--YEP--chilly indeed--his company deals with derailed/ accidents w/ trains---seems to be a bunch out that way???


I'm not in really in the know, but I am aware that there is greatly increased railroad activity to haul all the oil out of western ND. The keystone pipeline was planned to handle a lot of that, but I guess Warren Buffet owns the railroad and he's in pretty tight with the current administration. So as of yet the federal govt has not green lighted the pipeline.
Ndcoal
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Shelter 2626

Re: Just got my stove thermometers...how do my temps 'stack' up?

PostBy: JohnB On: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:54 pm

I'd try all 3 thermometers in the same spot to see how much variation there is between them. I bought 2 new ones last month & checked their accuracy with my Raytek IR gun. One was pretty much spot on while the other read close to 100° low at 400°. I "recalibrated" that one by moving the needle and use it on the stove where I don't need the low temp reading to be accurate as I have a good one on the opposite side.

As far as flue temps I'm seeing 140° 7" to 8" out from the stove just before the Baro & 95° after the baro with a 400° stove.
JohnB
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Hitzer 50-93

Re: Just got my stove thermometers...how do my temps 'stack' up?

PostBy: oliver power On: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Yes, your temps look good.
oliver power
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II)
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER / KEYSTOKER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93 & 30-95 , Kaa-2

Visit Hitzer Stoves