Stupid people

Re: Stupid people

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:42 pm

grumpy wrote:Add this guy to the list..





Pretty sure if he had home owners insurance or renters insurance it would've been replaced.

Yesterday was a good one for me. I've been fighting a cold for the past week but yesterday I woke up with a migraine to boot. I went to work anyway. I'm not sure if it was me being sick and not feeling good or the fact that I just couldn't deal with the idiots. On the way to work I was stuck behind two dump trucks going up a mountain. These two jackasses behind me decided to floor it and pass me, the two dump trucks and whomever else was in front of them on the wrong side of the road with oncoming traffic. Then Another jackwagon decides to get in the left hand turn lane with his blinker on like he's going to turn only to use it as a passing lane to pass everyone that was driving too slow. Again, using the other side of the road with on coming traffic as his own personal lane. By 10 am I had had enough. I just turned around and went home they dumbasses were out enforce yesterday.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: Stupid people

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:22 pm

I'm On Fire wrote:
grumpy wrote:Add this guy to the list..





Pretty sure if he had home owners insurance or renters insurance it would've been replaced.

Yesterday was a good one for me. I've been fighting a cold for the past week but yesterday I woke up with a migraine to boot. I went to work anyway. I'm not sure if it was me being sick and not feeling good or the fact that I just couldn't deal with the idiots. On the way to work I was stuck behind two dump trucks going up a mountain. These two jackasses behind me decided to floor it and pass me, the two dump trucks and whomever else was in front of them on the wrong side of the road with oncoming traffic. Then Another jackwagon decides to get in the left hand turn lane with his blinker on like he's going to turn only to use it as a passing lane to pass everyone that was driving too slow. Again, using the other side of the road with on coming traffic as his own personal lane. By 10 am I had had enough. I just turned around and went home they dumbasses were out enforce yesterday.


I didn't feel that great myself yesterday. I was miserable and cranky. Stayed in my office and told everyone in the shop don't bother me. Sorry if anyone called yesterday and I was cranky. It was a day I should have stayed home. Since I quit smoking I get a few more days like that.
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: Stupid people

PostBy: dcrane On: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:31 pm

dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404


Re: Stupid people

PostBy: franco b On: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:14 pm

Funny. The Boston accent is just a shadow of what it once was.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Stupid people

PostBy: dcrane On: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:34 pm

franco b wrote:Funny. The Boston accent is just a shadow of what it once was.


car keys in boston.jpg
(106.04 KiB) Viewed 1 time
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]48581[/nepathumb]
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Stupid people

PostBy: franco b On: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:49 pm

Excellent.There is still hope.

I have read that Elizabethan English sounded like Boston.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Stupid people

PostBy: Davian On: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:28 pm

Elizabethan English actually sounded like a deep southern/appalachian accent (well late Elizabethan/early Stewart English...ie Shakespeare's English). You can actually go on Youtube and search for Shakespeare pronunciation to hear it...its interesting to say the least and alot of those inside jokes in Shakespeare make more sense if you hear the words pronunced like they used to be. Bostonian English is closer to Hanoverian era English (ie what was spoken in the 1700s) than that.

Knew that history degree would pay off.
Davian
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

Re: Stupid people

PostBy: franco b On: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:40 pm

Davian wrote:Elizabethan English actually sounded like a deep southern/appalachian accent

The problem is, never having heard it, how to tell how it sounded. My understanding is that people tended to spell how they pronounced a word. So spelling was the way to uncover pronunciation which is why the conclusion was Boston. Makes more sense to me too as New England contained more educated immigrants.

Actually there were many different accents and pronunciations. I remember reading an account of two Londoners rowing up the Thames who after getting about twenty miles from London, stopped a farm woman to ask if they could buy some food. She answered " I am sorry I don't speak French".

An English friend told me that when he was a boy he often encountered British people whose speech was entirely unintelligible to him.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Stupid people

PostBy: KLook On: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:48 pm

An English friend told me that when he was a boy he often encountered British people whose speech was entirely unintelligible to him


Still happens in the upper regions of the coast of Maine..... :roll:

Kevin
KLook
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

Re: Stupid people

PostBy: Davian On: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:49 am

franco b wrote:
Davian wrote:Elizabethan English actually sounded like a deep southern/appalachian accent

The problem is, never having heard it, how to tell how it sounded. My understanding is that people tended to spell how they pronounced a word. So spelling was the way to uncover pronunciation which is why the conclusion was Boston. Makes more sense to me too as New England contained more educated immigrants.

Actually there were many different accents and pronunciations. I remember reading an account of two Londoners rowing up the Thames who after getting about twenty miles from London, stopped a farm woman to ask if they could buy some food. She answered " I am sorry I don't speak French".

An English friend told me that when he was a boy he often encountered British people whose speech was entirely unintelligible to him.


Well, you hit on a big part of it with the phonetic spelling...another big part of it is that the printing press was alive and well by then so there are tons of resources to reconstruct it from pronunciation guides, to linguistic studies written at the same time period of Shakespeare to modern studies on the verbal puns ("Loins" and "lines" were pronunced the same for example) present in the writing of Shakespeare, Marlowe, and others. There's also a ton of written history about the beginning of the English RP accent (basically an attempt to sound sophisticated and not like country bumpkins by the British upper class during the 19th century...its that familiar Brit accent you think of today when you think "British").

You are also right about the UK having literally thousands of different accents and the English are quite proud of their ability to listen to someone speak and determine "Oh, you're from Cornwall...western Cornwall" or "You sound like a Yorkshire man" or "you sound like you're from the upper midlands....Bristol perhaps?" etc etc.
Davian
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

Re: Stupid people

PostBy: SMITTY On: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:04 pm

KLook wrote:
An English friend told me that when he was a boy he often encountered British people whose speech was entirely unintelligible to him


Still happens in the upper regions of the coast of Maine..... :roll:

Kevin

Happens all over MA too! :lol:

I grew up in a town of 13k people (way over 16k now), and the south side guys talked different than the north end guys - it's only 6 miles end to end too. There;s probably 1,000 different versions of a MA accent. Me and the guys from my neighborhood talk different than everyone else in town. :lol:

When I was living in AZ & CA, people would say to me " You must be from New Jersey". I'd reply, "No, worse." :D
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: Stupid people

PostBy: Rob R. On: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:20 pm

SMITTY wrote:This also goes the other way too.

I've been stuck behind people going so unreasonably slow that I HAD to pass them.


Where are you going on such a critical schedule?
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Stupid people

PostBy: SMITTY On: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Life's too short to be stuck behind jackasses. :D
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: Stupid people

PostBy: Rob R. On: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:20 pm

SMITTY wrote:Life's too short to be stuck behind jackasses. :D


I was wondering if you were one of those impatient people that likes to pass me on the two lanes in VT...only to get caught behind the next tractor trailer. 8-)

It amazes me how people will continue to pass cars and trucks day after day on the same road, even though the road is ALWAYS full of trucks going the same speed...it is impossible to gain even 5 seconds on my commute by passing anything faster than a tractor, but people do it over and over.

I guess everyone has their own way of dealing with traffic. Mine is to always fill my coffee mug before I leave, and if things get boring I call Freetown Fred and get him cranked up. :lol:
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Stupid people

PostBy: franco b On: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Rob R. wrote: I call Freetown Fred and get him cranked up.

That's no solution, what if we all did that? I think his sweet disposition would be bound to change.

I think I can understand Smitty's frustration when drivers slow down to two MPH with 1/4 inch of snow on the ground. On the other hand there are also those with four wheel drive that don't realize that they can't stop any faster than those with two wheel drive.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea