I just stumbled onto this forum, and I am intrigued to say the least. I'm looking to go off grid in the near future, and I've been researching various means to achieve energy independence. I'm interested in the practical side of coal. In particular, I'm curious about COST. I will be locating in the east Texas region, so I imagine this will increase my cost in acquiring quality coal. So, anyone please help me get a real world estimate on the costs to acquire this fuel in east Texas. To lower net fuel costs, I desire to purchase in bulk and store it over a long period.
1. What kind of storage system is required?
2. Are the 50 pound bags of process anthracite worth the additional price?
3. What is the ash yield, and is there a useful purpose and market for this ash?
4. How much cheaper is it to purchase anthracite of a similar grade as the bagged product, but receive it in bulk form that might be stored in bulk (vs. bags)? Would this bulk (non-bagged) product be very dusty? If so, how much dust are we talking about?
5. What size purchase would be required to see a decent unit price delivered to east Texas?
Thanks for any insight you can offer.