Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

PostBy: lewis On: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:42 pm

lewis
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: Old Model Magnum

Re: Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

PostBy: titleist1 On: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:50 pm

Horrible accident and totally avoidable.... :cry:

Please... everyone get a CO monitor if you don't have one and if you do, double check the dates to make sure they are not more than 5 years old.

I have a couple monitors in addition to the co/smoke detectors. I alternately replace the CO monitors about every 4 years so that i always have one in place no older than two years.

Also get a manometer and leave it connected. Get into the habit of noticing the draft daily and if it is drifting lower, check for fly ash and other flue blockages. This info can be used as an early warning even before CO gets into the house.
titleist1
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Re: Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

PostBy: carlherrnstein On: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:59 pm

The worst accidents are the simplest to avoid.

I will admit to taking shortcuts to get something done quick which I'm sure that's the case here. The house was probably cold and he just wanted to get it heated back up without delay and he didn't check for bird nests or whatever.
carlherrnstein
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous


Re: Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:07 pm

Terrible news, and yes, avoidable.
I will repeat what others have already said: Have working CO detectors in the house if you have ANY appliances that burn solid or liquid fuels. They aren't that expensive. There's NO EXCUSE!!
IMG_4337.jpg
(102.7 KiB) Viewed 13 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]48264[/nepathumb]
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Re: Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

PostBy: Rob R. On: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:38 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:Have working CO detectors in the house if you have ANY appliances that burn solid or liquid fuels.


x2.

Last week a lady I know got called to a house that had a CO alarm going off (tied into security system). The flue pipe on the oil boiler had come apart and was venting into the basement. Thankfully no one was home, but the CO readings were high enough to cause serious harm.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:39 pm

Sad news indeed!

Think about all the people who died from generators improperly operated inside their houses during the last few hurricanes. Several elderly in Connecticut were involved. :(
EarthWindandFire
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer model 75.
Other Heating: Oil and Natural Gas.

Re: Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

PostBy: Rob R. On: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:57 pm

My dad had a CO detector go off in his basement with a generator running 10' from the house...basement window was cracked open to run some wires through, and that is all it takes.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:24 pm

CO will follow air flow, basement window always seems to allow airflow in! My generator sits in the pole barn doorway, quite a distance from the house.
Can never be too safe.

BC (before coal) I was servicing the dreaded oil furnace and I notice a distinct lack of draft. I pulled the pipe into the chimney. The flue to the cellar "dead ends", a piece of the tile liner had broken off and fallen down the chimney and the opening was 3/4 blocked. I bought the first CO detector the next day.
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Re: Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:CO will follow air flow, basement window always seems to allow airflow in! My generator sits in the pole barn doorway, quite a distance from the house.
Can never be too safe.


That's because of the natural chimney affect houses have in cold weather. Pulls in at the basement - leaks out at the upper levels.

Even running a car in an attached garage, to warm it up with the garage door open, can still pull some CO into the house.

Paul
Sunny Boy
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Re: Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

PostBy: Lightning On: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:48 pm

Before I burned coal, I had a propane furnace. During the removal of the propane furnace I found a gaping hole where the power vented flue met the chimney. It had a thimble made of tin that had rotted out. It made me think back to the previous winter when my daughter went thru a spell of being tired and sleepy for two weeks strait. Even to the point we took her to the doctor. It still haunts me that it could have been caused by that hole in my stack that I was unaware of and had no CO detectors ..

Maybe my stumbling onto this site and getting educated about Co had more behind it. .
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

Re: Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

PostBy: Freddy On: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:27 pm

So sad. For sure, we all need to take the time to be prepared & be careful.
Freddy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:33 pm

Lightning wrote:Before I burned coal, I had a propane furnace. During the removal of the propane furnace I found a gaping hole where the power vented flue met the chimney. It had a thimble made of tin that had rotted out. It made me think back to the previous winter when my daughter went thru a spell of being tired and sleepy for two weeks strait. Even to the point we took her to the doctor. It still haunts me that it could have been caused by that hole in my stack that I was unaware of and had no CO detectors ..

Maybe my stumbling onto this site and getting educated about Co had more behind it. .


A properly adjusted gas appliance produces little or no CO, that's why there are "ventless" gas heaters available, both N.G. and propain. Supposedly an improperly adjusted burner (yellow flame instead of blue) will produce CO.

When I installed the propain heater in the kitchen (it's long gone now) I went for a vented model, I didn't want to take any chances.
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Re: Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

PostBy: coalkirk On: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:52 pm

Very sad and as everyone has said, totally avoidable. I certainly hope there is no one on this forum who does not have at least 1 CO detector in their home. There should be one in the basement and one outside of the sleeping areas on all levels. I have 2 on each level which may be overkill but that's how I roll.
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

PostBy: Lightning On: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:15 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:
Lightning wrote:Before I burned coal, I had a propane furnace. During the removal of the propane furnace I found a gaping hole where the power vented flue met the chimney. It had a thimble made of tin that had rotted out. It made me think back to the previous winter when my daughter went thru a spell of being tired and sleepy for two weeks strait. Even to the point we took her to the doctor. It still haunts me that it could have been caused by that hole in my stack that I was unaware of and had no CO detectors ..

Maybe my stumbling onto this site and getting educated about Co had more behind it. .


A properly adjusted gas appliance produces little or no CO, that's why there are "ventless" gas heaters available, both N.G. and propain. Supposedly an improperly adjusted burner (yellow flame instead of blue) will produce CO.

When I installed the propain heater in the kitchen (it's long gone now) I went for a vented model, I didn't want to take any chances.


I wondered if that could be true also. Thanks for the reassurance. :D
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

Re: Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:24 pm

You're welcome.
In addition to the outrageous price I was paying for propain I didn't like the idea of that 100 gallon bomb sitting right outside my kitchen wall.

Propane Ripoff
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert