That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

Re: That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

PostBy: gambler On: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:59 pm

If it is rice coal and you use a 5 gallon bucket for a shovel you can move a ton of coal in 20-30 minutes. Or you could have your kids shovel it.
gambler
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

PostBy: spc On: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:13 pm

beatle78 wrote:Here's what I don't get. What do you do with bulk? Do you use a pickup bed and the shovel it into a bin? That seems like quite a bit of work to me :shock:
I have a friend with a dump truck & it was $210 ton back in Nov 07. I also use my pickup truck, coal isn't too heavy to shovel & if you can back up to your bin it isn't bad. I use a big grain shovel.
spc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

PostBy: spc On: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:22 pm

beatle78 wrote: I always thought I got a lot more ash than I'm supposed to be getting from Cranston Coal. (not unburnt, just a lot of ash).
I noticed the same thing, alot of ash with their bulk rice. I don't know if their bulk is Blaschak??? Their bagged says "Blaschak". Let us know what you think of coal from Mansfield. Thanks.
spc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer


Re: That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

PostBy: bksaun On: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:37 pm

I burned Reading last year and while I did find a few large pieces in it, it had no trash and burned well.

This year I am burning Blashak and it is slightly better, remember it is strip coal and they may have to move to a different area and the quality may change, also if they have trouble getting good employees that too can affect qulity.

BK
bksaun
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid, Gentleman Janitor GJ-6RSU/ EFM 700
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Pea Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer/ EFM-Gentleman Janitor
Stove/Furnace Model: 503 Insert/ 700/GJ-62

Re: That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

PostBy: sandman On: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:05 pm

beatle78 wrote:
sandman wrote:
beatle78 wrote:
Ok, so Cranston Coal was $225/ton bagged and picked up? So that's $4.50 per 40lb bag.


no, it's bulk. they probably use a front end loader and fill up whatever your got with one or more tons


ohhhh... ok, I'll call them tomorrow to see how much it is bagged.

Here's what I don't get. What do you do with bulk? Do you use a pickup bed and the shovel it into a bin? That seems like quite a bit of work to me :shock:


i agree. i plan on picking it up in a dump trailer and dumping it through a window into the cellar.

carrying bags into the cellar seems like too much work for me.
sandman
 
Stove/Furnace Make: harman
Stove/Furnace Model: VF3000, mark III sf150&250

Re: That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

PostBy: beatle78 On: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:00 am

spc wrote:
beatle78 wrote:Here's what I don't get. What do you do with bulk? Do you use a pickup bed and the shovel it into a bin? That seems like quite a bit of work to me :shock:
I have a friend with a dump truck & it was $210 ton back in Nov 07. I also use my pickup truck, coal isn't too heavy to shovel & if you can back up to your bin it isn't bad. I use a big grain shovel.


sandman wrote:
beatle78 wrote:
ohhhh... ok, I'll call them tomorrow to see how much it is bagged.

Here's what I don't get. What do you do with bulk? Do you use a pickup bed and the shovel it into a bin? That seems like quite a bit of work to me :shock:


i agree. i plan on picking it up in a dump trailer and dumping it through a window into the cellar.

carrying bags into the cellar seems like too much work for me.



OK So you lucky guys with dump trucks it makes more sense :)

I agree dumping into a cellar is WAY more appealing than carrying bags. My "basement" is a walkout so there are no stairs involved.

I can only back my truck up to the side of the bin which means I would have to shovel over the side :(
beatle78
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker KA-4

Re: That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

PostBy: beatle78 On: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:02 am

spc wrote:
beatle78 wrote: I always thought I got a lot more ash than I'm supposed to be getting from Cranston Coal. (not unburnt, just a lot of ash).
I noticed the same thing, alot of ash with their bulk rice. I don't know if their bulk is Blaschak??? Their bagged says "Blaschak". Let us know what you think of coal from Mansfield. Thanks.


OK, I will keep you posted. With this warm weather, I haven't filled the hopper in 2 days now ahhhh......

It will be 1.5 weeks before I need to get more at this rate....
beatle78
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker KA-4

Re: That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

PostBy: Richard S. On: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:35 am

Coal is easy to shovel, nut can be somewhat of pain but not from a pickup bed because you have the flat surface to get under it. Get yourself an aluminum #12 shovel... About 20lbs a scoop or 100 scoops per ton. I once shoveled 7 ton of rice in just over an hour in my "youth"... so shouldn't take you more than that for 1 or 2 ton. :D
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

PostBy: sandman On: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:54 am

spc wrote:
beatle78 wrote: I always thought I got a lot more ash than I'm supposed to be getting from Cranston Coal. (not unburnt, just a lot of ash).
I noticed the same thing, alot of ash with their bulk rice. I don't know if their bulk is Blaschak??? Their bagged says "Blaschak". Let us know what you think of coal from Mansfield. Thanks.


i asked last week and they said it could be either reading or blaschak.

i guess it depends on the day you get it and or what part of the pile it comes from.

do they weigh your truck or guestimate as to how how much a bucket load weighs?

are there any other bulk places in the area other than brockton ice?

the blaschak from mansfield looks like i burning good to me.
sandman
 
Stove/Furnace Make: harman
Stove/Furnace Model: VF3000, mark III sf150&250

Re: That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

PostBy: beatle78 On: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:10 pm

I guess the thought of "1 TON" of coal was intimidating.

I guess it wouldn't be too bad to shovel it..... My kids are only 21 months and 3 months so I have a few years before I can send them out to shovel :D
beatle78
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker KA-4

Re: That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

PostBy: spc On: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:18 pm

sandman wrote:do they weigh your truck or guestimate as to how how much a bucket load weighs?

They weight your truck.
sandman wrote:are there any other bulk places in the area other than brockton ice?


sandman wrote:the blaschak from mansfield looks like i burning good to me.

I guess mansfield doesn't sell bulk?
spc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

PostBy: sandman On: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:59 pm

spc wrote:
sandman wrote:do they weigh your truck or guestimate as to how how much a bucket load weighs?

They weight your truck.
sandman wrote:are there any other bulk places in the area other than brockton ice?


sandman wrote:the blaschak from mansfield looks like i burning good to me.

I guess mansfield doesn't sell bulk?


nope there idea of bulk is a pallet of bagged.

csm is $15 more a ton and a much farther drive.

it looks like cranston coal is my best bet..

thanks
jim
sandman
 
Stove/Furnace Make: harman
Stove/Furnace Model: VF3000, mark III sf150&250

Re: That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

PostBy: Devil505 On: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 pm

Jammed again!! (Can't wait to burn through this crap!)
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

PostBy: Devil505 On: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Taking your advice I bought a small bag of Kingsford Match Light charcoal to start it up after I let it go out & relight tomorrow am. (at around $8.00 per small bag, I hope I'll get a few lights out of it!)
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:43 pm

Devil5052 wrote:Taking your advice I bought a small bag of Kingsford Match Light charcoal to start it up after I let it go out & relight tomorrow am. (at around $8.00 per small bag, I hope I'll get a few lights out of it!)


Sorry it's jammed again. I hate crap coal.
You can buy regular charcoal, it's cheaper, but then you have to add lighter fluid to it, which is actually Petroleum Naptha (Stoddard Solvent) which you can buy at the Home Depot, I believe. It's probably cheaper by the gallon then those little squeeze bottles of charcoal lighter fluid. Just fill a large coffee can with charcoal and add the fluid there, just enough to soak the charcoal, not drown it. Ball up some newspaper in the stove, dump the can in , close the loading door and light it from below the grate.
You can also use lamp oil on the charcoal, it actually works better than Naptha because it is less volatile and burns longer, I emptied all the oil lamps in the house starting the coal burner!
However you light it--Safety First!
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert