Dealer install question?

Dealer install question?

PostBy: Flyerfan64 On: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:48 pm

Hello everyone, I placed a deposit on a Keystone Koker furnace on Dec 14 and was told by the dealer that he could not get to the install till after the new year. So I emailed him 3 weeks ago to see if he had a date to do the install, he said that he would get back to me in a week to set up a date . I still have not be heard back from him and it is now 3 weeks since email I sure they are busy but 40 plus days to set up a install seams to be a bit extreme time to wait . Is this normal for dealers to do this or is he raking me through the coals . was thinking of canceling my credit card payment and find a new dealer. I am worried bthat if I need service on my stove that I would have to wait a crazy amount of time, what do you guys think?
Flyerfan64
 

Re: Dealer install question?

PostBy: lewis On: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Honestly these are questions I would ask the Dealer themselves. Personally I think you've been more than patient.
Where you located ??
lewis
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: Old Model Magnum

Re: Dealer install question?

PostBy: dcrane On: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:55 pm

I would simply call and ask for George here... (when they ask George who.... say George Somers) ;)
just express your concerns so they are aware and they will call you back and explain their "take" on it...

Keystone Manufacturing Company

60 Keystoker Lane
Schuylkill Haven, PA 17972

Phone: (570) 385-3873
Fax: (570) 385-2755
Email: keystoker1@verizon.net
Web Site: www.keystoker.com
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Re: Dealer install question?

PostBy: oilman On: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:37 pm

We were 60-70 days out this fall. Right now for us anyway, this is the worst possible time of year to do an elective non-emergency install. The service work will come first.
The time to get started on install projects is around March-April. Gives you plenty of time to get things done.
oilman
 

Re: Dealer install question?

PostBy: dcrane On: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:17 pm

oilman wrote:We were 60-70 days out this fall. Right now for us anyway, this is the worst possible time of year to do an elective non-emergency install. The service work will come first.
The time to get started on install projects is around March-April. Gives you plenty of time to get things done.


service work all winter long :shock: .... DO TELL??? are these stokers your servicing (i assume they are not hand fired coal stoves), what brands? what common problems? etc... would be good to hear when your able ;)
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Dealer install question?

PostBy: oilman On: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:44 pm

Well, I do all types of heating. Oil, gas, wood , coal. The oil is 80% of it.
On the coal side, we have the usual stuff- motors, controls, feeders, system stuff like pumps, valves, blowers, etc. etc.
Alot of trouble shooting like feed problems, draft issues, direct vent issues, power vent issues, etc. etc.
On the hand fed side-yes.........alot of hand holding and instruction to new hand fed users and alot of draft and chimney issues to diagnose. ( guys, remember if you are considering a hand fed unit, please remember the appliance is only half the system. The chimney is the other half.........it's gotta be right or that unit won't work) :)
We also do mid-winter vent cleanings on Keystoker direct vents. Alot of guys are highway workers or truckers etc. and don't have time to do that stuff.
On the boilers we also do stuff like clean domestic coils and add coil booster tanks, etc.
I mainly work on Keystoker, EFM, Hitzer, Leisure and Alaska. Hand fed furnaces and boilers- too many different brands to count.
oilman
 

Re: Dealer install question?

PostBy: dcrane On: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:53 am

oilman wrote:Well, I do all types of heating. Oil, gas, wood , coal. The oil is 80% of it.
On the coal side, we have the usual stuff- motors, controls, feeders, system stuff like pumps, valves, blowers, etc. etc.
Alot of trouble shooting like feed problems, draft issues, direct vent issues, power vent issues, etc. etc.
On the hand fed side-yes.........alot of hand holding and instruction to new hand fed users and alot of draft and chimney issues to diagnose. ( guys, remember if you are considering a hand fed unit, please remember the appliance is only half the system. The chimney is the other half.........it's gotta be right or that unit won't work) :)
We also do mid-winter vent cleanings on Keystoker direct vents. Alot of guys are highway workers or truckers etc. and don't have time to do that stuff.
On the boilers we also do stuff like clean domestic coils and add coil booster tanks, etc.
I mainly work on Keystoker, EFM, Hitzer, Leisure and Alaska. Hand fed furnaces and boilers- too many different brands to count.


I get it... a lot of hand holding for the manual stove folks & a lot of parts & labor & money for the stoker folks toothy Im teasing...
but thank you for explaining (i did not realize your an oil/gas appliance guy also, i should have looked at your profile name :doh: ) ... its good to see some dealers actually step up and be part of the forum :clap:
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Dealer install question?

PostBy: Rob R. On: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:30 am

Anyone involved with servicing heating equipment has been slammed for the last month or so. I am sure it is tough to schedule a new install when the phone keeps ringing with no-heat calls. That isn't an excuse not to get back to you, just saying that they are probably maxed out with their existing customer base.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Dealer install question?

PostBy: oliver power On: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:43 am

Rob R. wrote:Anyone involved with servicing heating equipment has been slammed for the last month or so. I am sure it is tough to schedule a new install when the phone keeps ringing with no-heat calls. That isn't an excuse not to get back to you, just saying that they are probably maxed out with their existing customer base.
I'm busy in my business every year. My year starts out trying to finish the previous years work load. Because I can not see the future work load, I don't stop doing estimates. By Fall, my work load has increased. And so has my pile of estimates to do. When contractors call, they have to be priority, as my part ties up money, & Certificates of Occupancy's. Not to mention, contractors are re-peat work. We find ourselves installing 7 long days a week. THEN, at some point in the fall, the "Work God" drops a big load on us. Everyone calls at once (remember all the estimates I do?). Contractor work also picks up. Again, contractors must be priority. Another thing that throws off our "So Called" Schedule is; The home owner adds work, The neighbor wants a little something done, people driving by want something done, etc.. Did I mention, I'm the owner of the business? Other than the major holidays, I get to work 7 days, year round. I do my utmost best to juggle the whole operation (Installing, Estimates, Phone calls, inventory, ordering, fabricating, emergencies , etc.). This year, the "Work Gods" dropped 2 or 3 times the work on me. We are further behind on installs than previous years. Same with estimates to do. Then bitter cold temps hit. Installs come to a dead stop. During this short time frame, we do maintenance. Long Story Short; When you're overwhelmed as I had gotten, you can not set down and call 150 - 200 people every time it rains, or the wind blows too hard. I agree; Still not an excuse. More like Physically Impossible! I need to concentrate on installs. Talk about pulling your hair out.... This year, other contractors were in the same boat, including UPS & FED-EX. So, I feel a little more at ease knowing I'm not alone. Personally, I'm gearing up to better handle this overwhelming situation, should it happen again.
oliver power
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II)
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER / KEYSTOKER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93 & 30-95 , Kaa-2

Re: Dealer install question?

PostBy: oilman On: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:50 pm

It's tough.........it seems in the heating business we are either dead or slammed. Too seasonal I guess?
oilman
 

Visit Lehigh Anthracite