Slowly but surely getting ready to switch from wood to coal

Re: Slowly but surely getting ready to switch from wood to coal

PostBy: just peter On: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:58 pm

Davian wrote:Stupid question for the group: Why dont they make parlor stoves anymore? I mean, my Morso 1410 is considered a parlor stove by some but why dont they make those Glenwood style stoves anymore? I'd buy one in a heartbeat but I cant afford $2-3K for a stove right now.

Is it an emissions issue (ie EPA restriction) or did they just fall out of style? Cant imagine why they would but who knows.

It's still made, the type is now 1412.

Peter
just peter
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Weso 225 C3, unknown Altan
Coal Size/Type: bituminous coal,
Stove/Furnace Make: unknown, Weso
Stove/Furnace Model: Altan, 225C tile stove

Re: Slowly but surely getting ready to switch from wood to coal

PostBy: wsherrick On: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:36 pm

This is my advise. Get a Glenwood Oak No 40 with an indirect back pipe. This one stove will solve all your heating problems, save you tons of money and be the answer to most if not all of your questions.
It is a high capacity stove. It will yawn sleepily at the task of heating your whole house.
It is highly reliable and easy to operate.
It has the best, cleanest and most reliable grate system.
It is air tight.
It is multi fuel. You can burn wood, soft coal or hard coal in it.
It is a common stove, Glenwood made them by the tens of thousands. There are two series of this stove. The one pictured below and the modern series that came out in 1905. They are same except for the styling.
Parts are easy to get. The only thing ever needed is grates and they are easily recast. If you operate the stove properly the grates and the stove will last until after you and me and everybody here is long dead.
They cost about as much as a new box stove.
Attachments
ff4f9f5e1b90dcd1ba3c6265cf720a37.jpg
(16.08 KiB) Viewed 53 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
Glenwood Oak
[nepathumb]48746[/nepathumb]
wsherrick
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: Slowly but surely getting ready to switch from wood to coal

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Awesome! We just need to find him one in good shape now!
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Slowly but surely getting ready to switch from wood to coal

PostBy: grumpy On: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:53 pm

Barnstable has one.
grumpy
 

Re: Slowly but surely getting ready to switch from wood to coal

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:58 pm

Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Re: Slowly but surely getting ready to switch from wood to coal

PostBy: KingCoal On: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:30 pm

wsherrick wrote:This is my advise. Get a Glenwood Oak No 40 with an indirect back pipe. This one stove will solve all your heating problems, save you tons of money and be the answer to most if not all of your questions.
It is a high capacity stove. It will yawn sleepily at the task of heating your whole house.
It is highly reliable and easy to operate.
It has the best, cleanest and most reliable grate system.
It is air tight.
It is multi fuel. You can burn wood, soft coal or hard coal in it.
It is a common stove, Glenwood made them by the tens of thousands. There are two series of this stove. The one pictured below and the modern series that came out in 1905. They are same except for the styling.
Parts are easy to get. The only thing ever needed is grates and they are easily recast. If you operate the stove properly the grates and the stove will last until after you and me and everybody here is long dead.
They cost about as much as a new box stove.


William,

which Glenwood Modern Oak would be the performance / capacity equal of the earlier # 40 ?

thanks,
steve
KingCoal
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DSM 1400, Riteway # 37, Comforter Stove Works
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none
Stove/Furnace Model: 2013 1400 Circulator

Re: Slowly but surely getting ready to switch from wood to coal

PostBy: wsherrick On: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:32 pm

A 118. I think the No 40 is a little larger though, but: a Modern Oak 118 would approximate it.
wsherrick
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: Slowly but surely getting ready to switch from wood to coal

PostBy: KingCoal On: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:28 pm

MY decision's made then, thanks.
KingCoal
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DSM 1400, Riteway # 37, Comforter Stove Works
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none
Stove/Furnace Model: 2013 1400 Circulator

Re: Slowly but surely getting ready to switch from wood to coal

PostBy: Pancho On: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:11 pm

coaledsweat wrote:Welcome aboard Pancho. LOL I knew you would get the info you need here but had no idea you would get this much this fast! Enjoy, you are going to love this adventure. :)


Thanks for the invite and yes....LOTS of information on the quick but that is what I wanted.

I will get up to Greg's place in the next week or so and see the hardware in action. I'm geeked.
Pancho
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Re: Slowly but surely getting ready to switch from wood to coal

PostBy: Pancho On: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:13 pm

wsherrick wrote:This is my advise. Get a Glenwood Oak No 40 with an indirect back pipe. This one stove will solve all your heating problems, save you tons of money and be the answer to most if not all of your questions.
It is a high capacity stove. It will yawn sleepily at the task of heating your whole house.
It is highly reliable and easy to operate.
It has the best, cleanest and most reliable grate system.
It is air tight.
It is multi fuel. You can burn wood, soft coal or hard coal in it.
It is a common stove, Glenwood made them by the tens of thousands. There are two series of this stove. The one pictured below and the modern series that came out in 1905. They are same except for the styling.
Parts are easy to get. The only thing ever needed is grates and they are easily recast. If you operate the stove properly the grates and the stove will last until after you and me and everybody here is long dead.
They cost about as much as a new box stove.


Now is that considered a 'base heater'?. That is one beautiful stove......I WANT!.
Pancho
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Re: Slowly but surely getting ready to switch from wood to coal

PostBy: titleist1 On: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:28 am

Pancho wrote:I will get up to Greg's place in the next week or so and see the hardware in action. I'm geeked.


I hear that he gets all misty eyed if ya show up with a snow shovel this time of year!! :lol:
titleist1
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Re: Slowly but surely getting ready to switch from wood to coal

PostBy: Pancho On: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:51 pm

titleist1 wrote:
Pancho wrote:I will get up to Greg's place in the next week or so and see the hardware in action. I'm geeked.


I hear that he gets all misty eyed if ya show up with a snow shovel this time of year!! :lol:


Sounds like he's got the the proper toys for moving snow....dunno if a shovel is one of em'. :D
Pancho
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Re: Slowly but surely getting ready to switch from wood to coal

PostBy: Pancho On: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Talked to Emery at the Stove Hospital....he suggested a Herald and Wing's Best base heater, the Glewnwood 11 or the Crawford 30 or 40 and said there are many more options.

Sounds like he can hook me up with a stove....now I need to hammer out the bulk delivery of the coal.
Pancho
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Re: Slowly but surely getting ready to switch from wood to coal

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:43 pm

If you are set up for a tractor trailer delivery, you can get a pretty good deal. Most, if not all the major suppliers can arrange that. Give them a call
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Re: Slowly but surely getting ready to switch from wood to coal

PostBy: Pancho On: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:46 pm

Carbon12 wrote:If you are set up for a tractor trailer delivery, you can get a pretty good deal. Most, if not all the major suppliers can arrange that. Give them a call


I can get a lead trailer in here.....no pup though.
Pancho
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Visit Hitzer Stoves

cron