Well, it's definitely not a dirty chimney, I have never really had to clean my chimney during burn season but I did it yesterday and there really wasn't much accumulation. Maybe 3 or 4 large handfuls of creosote? And that's counting the accumulation at the bottom that falls out when I remove the undercap.
I'm starting to think its a problem with the house. The stove is in the basement of a large house and the whole second story is cathedral ceilings, which means only a thin layer of styrofoam insulation on the roof. I believe is called something like the " house chimney effect" ? Anyway, last puff back I witnessed I opened the window next to the stove and within a minute or 2 the flames were back on and everything was ok. I think that certain conditions "starve" it for combustion air.
But DANG is it scary!!!
The thing I'm really am scared of the most is that , I have 2 screws in every piece of pipe BUT, the hitzer has a a strange opening out of the stove, not a male extension but FEMALE, sooooo.... NO WAY TO SCREW IT IN. I used chimney cement around the opening and I'm sure that is the only reason it didn't blow off BUT.... It is now cracked up and falling apart, just redid half of it but I'm very worried.