This is my first post and I'm new to the forums and I'm looking for help. I bought a house a year ago that had a Keystoker 90 coal stove in the basement. I really love the stove but it seems to hate me
The first winter the fire constantly went out and I would need to restart it several times a week. I've used charcoal to start it each time which I know is not recommended but it seems to work best for getting the coal lit. I should mention the stove is self feeding with rice coal and has a chimney on the top that has a fan to help remove smoke.
I'm not sure what I had right or wrong last year but this winter the stove has almost never gone out. However the problem now is it constantly smokes and seems to have nothing to do with where the chimney fan speed is at. The first year when the stove was out constantly I didn't have this problem. The blower that puts air up through the coal that is burning needs to be turned almost all the way off or the smoke literally billows out of the coal hopper. The whole house smells like sulfer and I worry about my wife and young kids. I did not clean anything over the summer so I'm questioning if the chimney needs to be swept but I though I would ask here before spending the money to have it done.
Thank you for any suggestions