Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: MarkG On: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:11 pm

Jack, I will definitely consider Roy. Thanks!

Moving is just not an option. We bought this house for a reason, and everything except the neighbors played to our benefit. I'm not uprooting my family because of some immature neighbors. I get what you mean, but we bought this house just as fairly as they bought theirs and are entitled to live our lives and enjoy our home just as they are. If they didn't want neighbors, they should have bought it while they had the chance. They had more than ample time to buy this house because the previous owner kept it off the market for a long time waiting for them to get the funds. They would just make excuses and tiptoe around the subject, hoping the guy would cut his price by 25K (seriously). We made an offer, had it accepted, and closed in six weeks. We got a lot of house and land for a fair price and we're not going to throw it away over them.

Ultimately, we're putting another access window into the coal bin. Even with both of their vehicles, it's impossible to block both. Try to block one, the other will be left open due to their locations. We're also going to stuff the bin. It can hold 3 ton easily, and we will be doing that shortly. We used 5 ton in a year (furnace heats the water, too), so we shouldn't have to have delivery more than twice a year. We'll see how he acts this winter, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it anymore.
MarkG
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Wagner
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: Frackstoker On: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:11 pm

Only in Frackville..or Girardville, or Shenandoah :P Any updates on your situation? No surprise that the local PD was no help (could be worse, Morgan could still be chief haha). Six pack of beer for him to move the car might be the easiest even though he doesn't deserve it. So, you can piss in one of those beers too!
Frackstoker
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Coal Size/Type: Rice - Blaschak
Other Heating: New Yorker Oil Boiler

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: MarkG On: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Frackstoker wrote:Only in Frackville..or Girardville, or Shenandoah :P Any updates on your situation? No surprise that the local PD was no help (could be worse, Morgan could still be chief haha). Six pack of beer for him to move the car might be the easiest even though he doesn't deserve it. So, you can piss in one of those beers too!


They haven't been a problem as of late. They're more or less laying low, or at least appears that way. I don't anticipate it being a problem any longer due to the nature of his legal issues he just dealt with recently. He was basically told that one phone call from any of the neighbors regarding him causing problems will result in an instant harassment fine and possibly jail time. The judge apparently tore him a new one due to how he was acting so he's walking on egg shells and his wife finally got the hint to keep to herself. We'll see what this winter brings, but at this point I think it's a non-issue. Regardless, I will be creating another access hole and will be ordering 3 tons of coal here shortly so that will definitely carry me through for a while. Less deliveries means less opportunity for problems, and I'll take that.
MarkG
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Wagner
Coal Size/Type: Rice


Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: Frackstoker On: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:46 pm

Sounds good. I don't miss that type of stuff living there. I do miss hiking out the pole lines though. I lived in Gordon next attach to a house that was about to be condemned and 5 feet from another that was condemned. Whew, what a 2 year stretch!
Frackstoker
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Coal Size/Type: Rice - Blaschak
Other Heating: New Yorker Oil Boiler

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: Lu47Dan On: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:06 am

Talking about blocked driveways, my house is directly on the top of the hill. One deer season, I came back from hunting to find a group of ten trucks and cars parked across the road from the driveway and one was parked blocking my mailbox, I thought you have two miles of road to park along and you have to block my driveway. I was waiting for my paycheck, so I decided that I would pull my truck out to the end of the drive and wait for the mailman. While I was waiting a PSP patrol car comes up the road and see's the parked vehicles and stops to ask what is going on. So I told him I was waiting for the mail so I could get my paycheck as it was coming in the mail. He asked If I knew any of the owners of the trucks. I said no. He ended up towing three trucks that were blocking the mail box and ticketing the rest.
Then the Game Warden came by and checked to see if the hunters had permission to hunt on the land, when he asked me I told him that I had been told I could not hunt there by the owners and I gave the GW the phone number of the land owner. He was told the by him that no one had permission to hunt on the land.
The GW asked them if they had permission and from whom they had it. OF course they lied to him and did not know who owned it, they were driving around and just hunting property they thought looked good. While the GW was determining what to write them up for one of them noticed that three trucks were missing and the others had tickets on them. I was heading back out to the woods after getting the mail and one of them yelled at me about towing the truck and also yelled a threat that "I would pay for towing their truck" The game warden called in asking for a PSP officer to be dispatched or the one that wrote the tickets and had the trucks towed came back through. In the end their was all the non Interstate patrol officers on the scene and they towed the rest of the vehicles and the hunters all ended up in the county Jail overnight, the one that yelled the threat stayed in the jail for four days until he got bailed out by his father. I do not remember what that cost them but it was not cheap I am sure. The father and his lawyer showed up here at the house to ask me not to resist the sons plea agreement, I told them that I had nothing to do with it as the Game Warden was the one that signed the complaint and was the one who I thought the kid had threatened.
I heard that the kid would lose his hunting privileges for ten years do 1500 hrs of community service in his hometown and not return to this area while he was under suspension.
And It could have all been avoided by not blocking my mailbox! :woot: :woot:
Dan.
Lu47Dan
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Sears circulator air tight stove.
Other Heating: Crown 115,000 BTU oil fired boiler(house) Weil Mclain 150,000BTU oil fired boiler(Shop)

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: MarkG On: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:01 am

Frackstoker wrote:Sounds good. I don't miss that type of stuff living there. I do miss hiking out the pole lines though. I lived in Gordon next attach to a house that was about to be condemned and 5 feet from another that was condemned. Whew, what a 2 year stretch!


That's the one thing I love about this area, even though it isn't the most desirable to live in. There's some beautiful areas to hike/sight-see around here.
MarkG
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Wagner
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: MarkG On: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:06 am

Lu47Dan wrote:Talking about blocked driveways, my house is directly on the top of the hill. One deer season, I came back from hunting to find a group of ten trucks and cars parked across the road from the driveway and one was parked blocking my mailbox, I thought you have two miles of road to park along and you have to block my driveway. I was waiting for my paycheck, so I decided that I would pull my truck out to the end of the drive and wait for the mailman. While I was waiting a PSP patrol car comes up the road and see's the parked vehicles and stops to ask what is going on. So I told him I was waiting for the mail so I could get my paycheck as it was coming in the mail. He asked If I knew any of the owners of the trucks. I said no. He ended up towing three trucks that were blocking the mail box and ticketing the rest.
Then the Game Warden came by and checked to see if the hunters had permission to hunt on the land, when he asked me I told him that I had been told I could not hunt there by the owners and I gave the GW the phone number of the land owner. He was told the by him that no one had permission to hunt on the land.
The GW asked them if they had permission and from whom they had it. OF course they lied to him and did not know who owned it, they were driving around and just hunting property they thought looked good. While the GW was determining what to write them up for one of them noticed that three trucks were missing and the others had tickets on them. I was heading back out to the woods after getting the mail and one of them yelled at me about towing the truck and also yelled a threat that "I would pay for towing their truck" The game warden called in asking for a PSP officer to be dispatched or the one that wrote the tickets and had the trucks towed came back through. In the end their was all the non Interstate patrol officers on the scene and they towed the rest of the vehicles and the hunters all ended up in the county Jail overnight, the one that yelled the threat stayed in the jail for four days until he got bailed out by his father. I do not remember what that cost them but it was not cheap I am sure. The father and his lawyer showed up here at the house to ask me not to resist the sons plea agreement, I told them that I had nothing to do with it as the Game Warden was the one that signed the complaint and was the one who I thought the kid had threatened.
I heard that the kid would lose his hunting privileges for ten years do 1500 hrs of community service in his hometown and not return to this area while he was under suspension.
And It could have all been avoided by not blocking my mailbox! :woot: :woot:
Dan.


Imagine that!

To be honest, I wouldn't even care about the parking situation if they weren't jerks about it from the get-go. I know it's public parking and nobody has a right to any spot, but it's just common courtesy to allow someone to park in front of their own home. I grew up on a packed street and that's just the way it was. Times have obviously changed, but I didn't realize that courtesy changed with them. Either way, I'm not going to lose sleep over it anymore. It's just not worth the stress and frustration anymore. As long as I have a way to get coal and heat my home/hot water, I'm fine.

My future plans, whether these neighbors still live there or not, are to put a garage there with a driveway. I just need to find about $20,000 :P
MarkG
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Wagner
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: SMITTY On: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:29 am

I used to live in a shitty apartment complex right in the ghetto of Worcester (the one near Hamilton St. - there are many ghettos .... :lol: ). People wouldn't even leave their apartments until the plow came through. Well, I was the only one that would shovel my car out, then shovel out my spot. The minute I'd leave, a car would pull right in there! They'd sit and watch you bust your ass shoveling, then pull right in your spot like you did them a favor. That didn't go over well with me. Didn't take long before everyone in the building knew not to screw with "that guy's" parking spot .. ;)
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: MarkG On: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:24 am

SMITTY wrote:I used to live in a shitty apartment complex right in the ghetto of Worcester (the one near Hamilton St. - there are many ghettos .... :lol: ). People wouldn't even leave their apartments until the plow came through. Well, I was the only one that would shovel my car out, then shovel out my spot. The minute I'd leave, a car would pull right in there! They'd sit and watch you bust your ass shoveling, then pull right in your spot like you did them a favor. That didn't go over well with me. Didn't take long before everyone in the building knew not to screw with "that guy's" parking spot .. ;)


My neighbors don't dig their cars out since they have 4WD Jeeps. They just run it over until it's packed into 7 inches of ice and then don't know where the sidewalk ends and the ice begins so they just park halfway on the sidewalk. It's sheer laziness. Yeah, the cops took care of that real quick last winter. Not putting up with that kind of idiocy. They can't force them to shovel, but they can force them to not park on the sidewalk. Unless they want to replace my sidewalk when it's damaged, they'll learn quickly where their Jeep is in relation to the sidewalk. They run up on the sidewalk anyway when parking, snow or not. It's either lack of depth perception or lack of ability to maneuver their vehicles.

I'm telling you, it's gotten to the point where it's comical because it's borderline unbelievable. I have documentation (pictures) and the police have call logs regarding them parking on the sidewalk though, in case I do need to present a case for damaged property. I'm considering getting parking blocks to place on the edge of the sidewalk to try preventing them from actually getting up on the sidewalk.
MarkG
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Wagner
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: rberq On: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:42 pm

A friend of ours has a driveway about 200 feet long. The neighbors have a right-of-way over the first 60 feet to get to their garage. The neighbors refused to share in the snowplowing cost because they knew our friend had to plow their portion to get to her portion. So one storm she told her plow guy not to come; the neighbors got a plow, did their 60 feet, and left a big bank in the middle of the driveway blocking her remaining 140 feet. Rotten bastards. :mad: The irony is that the neighbors are loaded with money, travel to Europe whenever the urge strikes them, and our friend is an elderly woman on a very low fixed income.
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: Davian On: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:26 pm

rberq wrote:A friend of ours has a driveway about 200 feet long. The neighbors have a right-of-way over the first 60 feet to get to their garage. The neighbors refused to share in the snowplowing cost because they knew our friend had to plow their portion to get to her portion. So one storm she told her plow guy not to come; the neighbors got a plow, did their 60 feet, and left a big bank in the middle of the driveway blocking her remaining 140 feet. Rotten bastards. :mad: The irony is that the neighbors are loaded with money, travel to Europe whenever the urge strikes them, and our friend is an elderly woman on a very low fixed income.


Total BS...if there is a right-of-way outlined in the property deed, there should almost certainly be a clause regarding common road maintenance including plowing costs. I have the same sort of arrangement with my two neighbors for our private road/driveways and its there. They likely have to pay PERIOD...or she can sue them for the cost. Its a pretty standard arrangement for such things so I'd be pretty surprised if its not in there.
Davian
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: NJJoe On: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:40 am

Davian wrote:Total BS...if there is a right-of-way outlined in the property deed, there should almost certainly be a clause regarding common road maintenance including plowing costs. I have the same sort of arrangement with my two neighbors for our private road/driveways and its there. They likely have to pay PERIOD...or she can sue them for the cost. Its a pretty standard arrangement for such things so I'd be pretty surprised if its not in there.



I have a buddy who lived in a 2 family condex. 1 structure with a wall between the 2 living units. 1 driveway that branches towards 2 garages. 1 septic tank and 1 property that needs to be maintained etc...

There is no HOA or agreement for this one property and everything needs to be agreed on between the two occupants. There is no money that is monthly deposited into a fund designated for repairs etc... Years ago, the structure needed a new roof and they could not come to an agreement. My friend did construction in his younger years and wanted to use a more expensive roofer with better shingles. His neighbor wanted to go as cheap as possible so the end result is the building has 1 roof but installed by two different roofers. The more expensive job is holding up fine and the cheap job looks like crap with degrading shingles. All on the same roof. :o :shock:

The septic needs to be ripped out and reinstalled (clogged leach field and failing tank). But the neighbor doesnt have the money to contribute so they need to get the tank pumped YEARLY to prevent a total failure and flood. Its even a hassle to get the neighbor to pay for her half of the septic pumping. They have fights in the winter over who pays for to snowblow/plow the shared portion of the driveway. The neighbor has two delinquint sons who park on the shared lawn that only my friend has enough responsibility to take care of. He has reseeded and patched up car damage on the lawn countless times.

My friend has so many tales about the neighbor's cheapness, unwillingness to pay up, choices in shoddy construction etc etc etc. Nothing he can do about it. Over time the property is worth less and less and there is no incentive for my friend to put work and pay more for premium construction on his half if the neighbors hires crappy contractors or lets her side deteriorate. He has been truly dealt a bad hand when he bought this house. It makes me mad to even have to listen to my friend complain. So much that I will never ever ever buy a shared maintenance property unless there is a contract between all parties involved. I just cannot be subject to the whims of my neighbor on these types of issues.
NJJoe
 

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: rberq On: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:32 pm

NJJoe wrote:I will never ever ever buy a shared maintenance property unless there is a contract between all parties involved. I just cannot be subject to the whims of my neighbor on these types of issues.

Even a contract might not help. If you have a condo where all units get one vote, you can end up in trouble if your neighbors are financially better off and vote to improve the buildings and grounds more than you can afford. Or you wind up living in a dump if your neighbors are poor and would like to do proper maintenance but can't afford it. Can't get blood from a turnip, as the saying goes. I had a friend in the latter situation and he eventually sold his unit at a loss but felt lucky to get free of it.
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: Davian On: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:57 pm

So much that I will never ever ever buy a shared maintenance property unless there is a contract between all parties involved. I just cannot be subject to the whims of my neighbor on these types of issues.


We don't have a contract but its in the property deed so I could go to the town gov't or even local sheriff for enforcement if I didnt simply sue them. The town would simply put a lien on their property for violating the property deeds (all 3 deeds mention the shared right of way and "maintenance and upkeep costs shall be shared equally among the properties"). My home has a shared well with one of the other homes too and that is also outlined for any shared maintenance issues.

I am shocked to hear that on a duplex though...that's just ridiculous and its a failure of the local zoning board to allow it. Happy to live in VT where that would never fly.
Davian
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel


cron