Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: MarkG On: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:27 am

Horace wrote:Didn't I just read somewhere that there are 7,500 members on this site? Or was it 3,500? Either way, the next time Mark schedules a delivery we should all show up.

Moving out isn't the answer. It's your house. You stated that it has everything that you wanted and needed when you bought it. You are not the problem. Since you recently purchased it, you probably have already sunk money into it in the form of down payment, closing costs, good faith deposits, attorney's fees, etc etc. If you even tried to sell it now, the lender would probably hit you with a fee for selling within the first five to ten years (it's in the small print somewhere.) That's not the point, though. The point is, you shouldn't have to even think of selling.

I think that we all agree that you're absolutely in the right and have every right to expect this consideration. It's a once-a-month thing. I'm very curious what the police would advise if you called and asked them conversationally. Not lodge a formal complaint. Just seek their advice.

I have an Pearl old drum set here that I bet your kid would love. :D

MarkG wrote:They burn oil

Pee in it. It probably won't do any harm, but I'll bet you'll giggle like a ten-year-old schoolgirl every time you hear the furnace kick on.


I'm going to call the police today and just ask them for their thoughts on the situation. I'll report back what they tell me.

As for the drum set, hell, I think I would love it, too! ;)

It's funny you should mention peeing in their fill pipe. You have no idea how many times I've envisioned doing this, laughing maniacally. And yes, it made me giggle like a ten-year-old schoolgirl. :D
MarkG
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Wagner
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: MarkG On: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:36 am

SMITTY wrote:I've got a JIMMY sitting here all dismantled - I would gladly make the trip down there FOR FREE and leave it in their parking spot, just because I HATE *censored* like that!! It has no wheels ... or axles for that matter, so moving it again would be a problem without dragging it ... :D This could be a good thing. In this communist state you'd be fined for having an inoperable vehicle in the road ... but I digress.

People like those are exactly what is wrong with society today - me, me, me ... I, I, I, ... and the hell with everyone else. :mad: Sounds exactly like the city of Worcester ... except everyone would be on the *censored*'s side!! What your going through is what I went through at EVERY place I lived, up until 11 years ago. It's VERY difficult to restrain yourself from doing illegal things, or escalating the situation to deadly consequences - people get shot for less than this every day. If you end up in jail, he wins. If he ends up in jail, now you've got to watch your back & your personal property (vandalism), and that will wear on your soul after a while. Usually *censored* like this have friends of equally *censored*-ish caliber. Got to think first, and remain calm at all times.

The best course of action is to ignore the pricks. Put on a BIG smile and shout HELLO! whenever they're outside. Act like you couldn't give two shits about anything they do. They'll be furious! I've been through this sort of behavior enough times to have the psychology down to a science.

When they ask you to keep your kid quiet, buy him a drum kit ... and put a clown horn on his bicycle. ;)

Here;s the Jimmy if your interested!

Image


Unfortunately, I'd be fined for having an inoperable vehicle on the streets of this town as well. All vehicles must be tagged, insured, and operable to be on the street.

"People get shot for less than this every day." - the very reason I don't want to escalate this myself. Again, I'm not sure what this guy is capable of, or willing to do, but I know he has a short fuse. I already feel that I have to watch my back and personal property. In fact, a neighbor informed me not too long ago that he let his dog do its business on my lawn just outside the white fence while he stood there laughing. I have the intention of purchasing a camera system anyway, so hopefully I can catch this blowhard doing something stupid.

Staying level-headed is what I intend to do. He won't speak to me if he sees me, and will go as far as waiting for me to go into my house before coming out of his. He usually gets his wife to do his dirty work when it comes to confronting people about anything. They haven't blared their music in about a month or so, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with his wife's kids being there.

My kid has a birthday coming up in June, a bicycle with a clown horn and drum set probably aren't such a bad idea :P
MarkG
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Wagner
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: MarkG On: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:38 am

Rick 386 wrote:Or here's a thought.

Each month host a pizza and beer night. Cost of admission is 50 or 100 lbs of coal. Send the wife to the mother's house. We all come over to socialize and your bin get filled plus we can "talk" to the neighbor through the walls or outside as we park by the house.................



Rick


Now THIS is a good idea, especially since winter falls during football and hockey season. :D
MarkG
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Wagner
Coal Size/Type: Rice


Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: MarkG On: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:42 am

ShawninNY wrote:I like Smitty's Guidance here!its obvious this guy is miserable , Be cool ! don't let them see you affected by there dickeshness, keep smiling ! So far the coal guys have been cool and dealt with it, let them continue dealing with the neighbor let them know what to expect , maybe leave a note on their car the day before with perhaps a few hour window for the del. whenever they are in the yard (hopefully with guests)I would load small loads of wet coal in stove often . Smoldering Cardboard smells horrendous too ! Hopefully you have a hand fired unit! Welcome to the forum . Shawn


Thanks!

They won't ever have guests because nobody likes them.

Anyway, I have an auto-feed stoker so no smoldering cardboard option :(

Apparently my shoveling of coal into the hopper is too loud for them as well, because they'll walk from front door to back door slamming them until I finish. You can't make this stuff up. I could probably write a best-selling novel with some of the stuff we've witnessed/heard!
MarkG
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Wagner
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: MarkG On: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:47 am

DePippo79 wrote:I wouldn't feel bad about the guy's sleeping patterns. I've worked 1st, 2nd, 3rd, split shifts, different days off, etc. 12-16 hours at a time, for the last 15 years. No one ever gave me any sympathy. I use to get pissed off at the landscapers and thier leaf blowers ( I know where I would like to shove one of those things) when the wife and I were renting a condo. My three and five year old can be noisy as a locomotive in the 8th notch and I can still sleep like a baby. You learn to deal with it. Any way good luck with your situation. Matt


Thanks Matt! Back when this first started, I even considered buying a pack of earplugs from Walmart and gift wrapping them for him. However, again, it's the type of escalation I want to avoid. I'm not going to stop my kid from being a kid. If he's making noise, he's having fun, and that's all that matters to me.

This lady has three kids of her own, and the guy has one. I guess they forgot what it's like to have toddlers. Then again, he kicked his own kid out of the house in favor of moving this lady and her kids in, and then proceeds to tell her on a daily basis that he hates her kids. It's unreal.
MarkG
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Wagner
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: MarkG On: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:51 am

Wanna Bee wrote:Is there any chance that you or your wife could get handicap parking plates? Stubbed toe, arthritic knee, something. Then you need to speak with the township and tell them you need a handicap parking place designated in front of your house. Blue curb and a PD sign and whamo no more *censored* neighbors to deal with. The township won't even bat an eyelash due to fear of a lawsuit.

Me I'd, we'll lets not go there. but an f350 can pull jeeps out of the mud... It sure as *censored* could drag that thing to the other side of town one rainy evening.


If only. My wife's mother is disabled and can barely walk, and she visits often and has trouble getting up the stairs. She always needs someone to hold her hands while she walks because she lacks balance and fluid mobility due to the stroke she suffered. Unfortunately, I don't think that would be enough to get a handicap spot reserved. My wife has a bad back due to spinal stenosis at the ripe old age of 29, but it's not enough to consider her handicap.
MarkG
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Wagner
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: smokerdude On: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:14 am

With neighbors like that, this is just the beginning. If it's not the blocking of a coal delivery, it'll be something else. Living right next to you, it would be better to have them as an ally than an enemy, the old honey / vinegar thing. I've amazed myself with what I can get with a six pack of beer. Driveway permit, car inspections on a ratty old deathtrap, elk meat, the use of a lawn mower...... She's going to stay meaner'n cat *censored* but if you would bump into him now and then and offer a beer or two, he might be shoveling your coal and taking your ashes out for you before long.
smokerdude
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: DS Kozy King
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Rice

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: blrman07 On: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:26 am

Hey Mark, I live right around the corner from you in Girardville. I have experienced neighbors like yours before when I had an end row that my son lived in over in Coal Township. They had neighbors that insisted that he keep the noise down and make their 2 year old daughter keep quiet. This was from a lady that didn't work either night or day!!! I told her that if she thought there was too much noise to let my son and daughter in law know, otherwise leave them alone. They got the cops called on them several times and each time the cops failed to cite them. They did get one ticket for noise but the judge threw it out. The last time the lady called the cops she got a warning from the police that they would ticket her if she didn't knock off the harassment. She finally quit but it took a while.

Stop worrying about what your neighbor MIGHT do. Live your life and let your child be a child. Children are children only a very short time so enjoy this time. Don't punish your child or your wife by making them conform to the demands of your neighbors simply because you have jerks for neighbors. Stop living in fear of what they might do. Don't argue with them, don't confront them, don't live in fear of them because other than being disagreeable people, what else can they do? Your doing more to yourself than they every could. Stop letting their attitude control what you and your family do.

The best thing you can do is let these people display the type of person that they are. Don't obsess about coal deliveries. Don't obsess about the parking. Tell your wife to live her life and enjoy your child. Let your child play. That's what kids do. It's not your responsibility to ensure that they get their sleep during the daytime. Noise ordinances are geared to no excessive noise after a certain time at NIGHT, not the day. Take charge of your life. Quit living in fear of your neighbor and show him he is not going to control you or your family because your going to go right on with your life.

Re the coal deliveries. If you can, go to buying coal weekly in buckets. I buy my coal by the bucket each Monday from Keystone Anthracite in between Girardville and Shenandoah on Rt 54. I transport 7 buckets at a time in my Subaru. I will gladly loan you some buckets and if you don't have a vehicle to haul them in I will haul it for you in my vehicle. The most I have hauled is 10 buckets which is about 400-450 pounds. If your burning a ton a month that should do it. You will also save the delivery fee doing it this way. It's easier to get a full ton at a time but is what your going through worth that?

To use a phrase from the movie "Heartbreak Ridge," "Adapt and Overcome."

Make it your mission to become an expert on the ordinances and laws in Frackville. Every time they violate something make sure that code enforcement knows about it. That is a two edged sword though. You have to make sure that your up to snuff on every ordinance yourself. Get copies of the ordinances regarding noise levels and I am sure you will find your not in violation of anything. If your not, live your life and their work schedule is their problem, not yours or your families.

I will be sending you a PM with my personal contact info. I am serious about the buckets and hauling it for you if you can't until something gets changed or rearranged.

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.
blrman07
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Bucket a Day
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant Casting 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: rebuilding a 1906 March Brownback Double Heater, using a UMCO 1920's Pot Belly stove in the church
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Wood in the VC and anything that will fit in the Bucket a Day. It's not fussy.

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: Richard S. On: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:28 am

I've had cars in the way before but can't say I have run into an issue where someone wouldn't move it, that's ridiculous....

There has to be law, how can you prevent the delivery of a fuel to a house? On the other hand I'm not sure how you would enforce such a law. Call the cops but I wouldn't rely on their opinion. If they can't resolve it take it to the council, they should be more than willing to listen and have the solicitor research it. At the very least they should be able to post a temporary no parking zone once a month, that may be the only possible solution.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: Richard S. On: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:30 am

smokerdude wrote:...it would be better to have them as an ally than an enemy, the old honey / vinegar thing.


I'd agree but if you can't get someone to do something as simple as move a car occasionally they are completely irrational. The utter disregard is unbelievable.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: rberq On: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:41 am

MarkG wrote:He won't speak to me if he sees me, and will go as far as waiting for me to go into my house before coming out of his. He usually gets his wife to do his dirty work when it comes to confronting people about anything. They haven't blared their music in about a month or so, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with his wife's kids being there.

I’m going to play devil’s advocate: Overall you have painted a picture of a second-marriage blended-family couple living next door, with below-average social skills and average or above average marital and financial problems, trying to cope with their troubles and feeling disliked, isolated, and persecuted by the neighborhood, you included. The worst they have done to you – and we have only your side of the story – is to refuse to move their car to accommodate your coal deliveries. This on a street where you say parking is very tight, and they could easily lose their space unless they drop whatever they are doing and stand by during your coal delivery. Stop gossiping about them and ganging up on them with the rest of the neighbors. Maybe you can help things work out well in the long run, rather than deteriorate.
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: Richard S. On: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:45 am

rberq wrote: The worst they have done to you – and we have only your side of the story – is to refuse to move their car to accommodate your coal deliveries..


The worst is pretty bad when someone is preventing you from heating your house. This may be an inconvenience to the neighbor but it's not as if there is a choice here.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: rberq On: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:55 am

Richard S. wrote:
rberq wrote: The worst they have done to you – and we have only your side of the story – is to refuse to move their car to accommodate your coal deliveries..


The worst is pretty bad when someone is preventing you from heating your house. This may be an inconvenience to the neighbor but it's not as if there is a choice here.

True, but he says his coal supplier has cheerfully worked around the problem and delivered coal.
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: MarkG On: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:04 am

rberq wrote:
MarkG wrote:He won't speak to me if he sees me, and will go as far as waiting for me to go into my house before coming out of his. He usually gets his wife to do his dirty work when it comes to confronting people about anything. They haven't blared their music in about a month or so, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with his wife's kids being there.

I’m going to play devil’s advocate: Overall you have painted a picture of a second-marriage blended-family couple living next door, with below-average social skills and average or above average marital and financial problems, trying to cope with their troubles and feeling disliked, isolated, and persecuted by the neighborhood, you included. The worst they have done to you – and we have only your side of the story – is to refuse to move their car to accommodate your coal deliveries. This on a street where you say parking is very tight, and they could easily lose their space unless they drop whatever they are doing and stand by during your coal delivery. Stop gossiping about them and ganging up on them with the rest of the neighbors. Maybe you can help things work out well in the long run, rather than deteriorate.


I appreciate your response and playing the devil's advocate, because it is always the right thing to do to view it from their standpoint. Having said that, I have on numerous occasions extended the olive branch to resolve the issues but got nowhere. I don't gossip with the other neighbors about them or gang up on them, and in fact, gave them the benefit of the doubt in the beginning because we were warned while moving in but I believe that everyone deserves a chance and I don't judge people based on others' perceptions. Things were fine after a few weeks and we all got along great. When it came to them asking us, not paraphrasing, to "keep our kid quiet during the day", that's where I drew the line. And we responded politely, saying "He's two years old, we will try to limit the noise but are not going to have him sit on the couch with his hands in his lap all day long." Regarding the gossip, if the neighbors ask me how things are going with "them next door" as they're known, I give a general response because I don't like to gossip about others. However, it's not coincidental that we hear people say that they don't like them because they're disrespectful. I get that people talk and some form opinions based on what they hear, but it's a good mix of people from all walks of life in the neighborhood and the general consensus is not good. I don't talk about the personal stuff that we hear them fight about, don't make up stories, and move to quickly change the subject if they're brought up. The only reason I shared the information in here that I did was to give people an idea of the type of neighbors they are so it doesn't look like I'm just lambasting them for no reason.

I understand that everyone has their own demons to deal with, but I don't think it's justifiable to cause undue stress and problems for others because of it. We don't take our problems out on anyone else, and don't appreciate when it's done to us. I would prefer that we work things out ourselves, as I've clearly stated, but that hasn't worked to this point. That's why I came here - to do some information gathering and see if anyone else has ever experienced this. But again, I appreciate and respect your opinion and position. Sometimes you have to play the devil's advocate, but I believe we've given them enough respect and have done what we could to accommodate them.
MarkG
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Wagner
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Re: Problem with coal delivery and neighbors

PostBy: MarkG On: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:06 am

True, but he says his coal supplier has cheerfully worked around the problem and delivered coal.


And they have, but as I stated in my first post, I'm worried that it's going to become a problem for them and not worth their time to have to do this every single time they deliver. It hasn't to this point, but I'm trying to resolve it before it does. The problem for them is that they have to worry about the liability of damaging someone's vehicle by putting the chute over the hood, dropping something on the vehicle, etc. and at some point, they're going to deem it not worth the risk.
MarkG
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Wagner
Coal Size/Type: Rice