SS Chimney Liners

Re: SS Chimney Liners

PostBy: oliver power On: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:52 am

dcrane wrote:Interesting & Entertaining thread for sure... its great to see :clap:

For my two cents... I would NEVER take a viable clay/terra cotta lined chimney built to last 200 years and line it with SS to last 2-5 with coal (or even 10 years if your one of the "lucky" few). The warranty on SS liners has always been a hokes because of the labor, time, mess, hassle of installing the new "so called free" SS liner. If my clay lined chimney was grossly oversized I'd do anything and everything before turning it forever into a permanent SS lined chimney, (thats just me)! Its just common sense that flue gases containing corrosive acids do not belong joined/mixed with metals that react adversely with those very same corrosive acids. I know a lot of folks have to adhere to "codes" or "inspectors" and have to follow the guidance of who they "perceive" to be more knowledgeable before they will "act" on anything... It does not make those codes or inspectors "right"! Taking a viable Tera Cotta lined chimney flu and turning it into a SS lined flu should be the absolute last & hopeless avenue to pursue (and even then, I personally would find another way if i intended to use coal to heat my house).

old english chimneys.jpg
My thoughts exactly...........
oliver power
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II)
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER / KEYSTOKER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93 & 30-95 , Kaa-2

Re: SS Chimney Liners

PostBy: scalabro On: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:42 am

dcrane wrote:
For my two cents... I would NEVER take a viable clay/terra cotta lined chimney built to last 200 years and line it with SS to last 2-5 with coal (or even 10 years if your one of the "lucky" few).



Um....who posted on this thread that they were going to line a "viable" tile flue?

That would be stupid.

And for the record ALL metals will be attacked to some degree by fly ash IF enough moisture gets absorbed into it while in contact with it. No moisture no corrosion, my Crawford's 100+ year old ash pan is proof!
scalabro
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14 in the works.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired forced hot air

Re: SS Chimney Liners

PostBy: titleist1 On: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:22 am

Gekko wrote:Um....who posted on this thread that they were going to line a "viable" tile flue?


ummmm...... i don't think he was poking at anyone in this thread.....

i think he would be referring to Oliver's post that showed the pic of the insert install (from the principles of home inspection book) with the SS liner being used without regard to the tile liner condition/performance that it says is required in many areas.......

but i could be wrong.
titleist1
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite


Re: SS Chimney Liners

PostBy: scalabro On: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:27 am

titleist1 wrote:
Gekko wrote:Um....who posted on this thread that they were going to line a "viable" tile flue?


ummmm...... i don't think he was poking at anyone in this thread.....

i think he would be referring to Oliver's post that showed the pic of the insert install (from the principles of home inspection book) with the SS liner being used without regard to the tile liner condition/performance that it says is required in many areas.......

but i could be wrong.


Was thinking I missed someone's post regarding such.
scalabro
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14 in the works.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired forced hot air

Re: SS Chimney Liners

PostBy: VigIIPeaBurner On: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:52 am

Gekko wrote:...>8... And for the record ALL metals will be attacked to some degree by fly ash IF enough moisture gets absorbed into it while in contact with it. No moisture no corrosion, my Crawford's 100+ year old ash pan is proof!


:!: DING-DING-DING- DING :!:
    better living thru chemistry :)
There are few absolutes without defining environmental conditions as constants. Otherwise, all personal testimonies are anecdotal. Still can't beat a properly installed masonry.


View: New PagePopup

Picture is looking up my 14 year old class A stainless steel chimney. Given my druthers, I'd prefer masonry but ...
VigIIPeaBurner
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Re: SS Chimney Liners

PostBy: franco b On: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:30 am

Have to agree that moisture is the problem. Avoid wet coal and very low stack temperatures to get the longest life from a metal chimney. In the summer humidity will condense on the cold metal, so good ventilation will help. I like also to coat the chimney with some wood smoke after cleaning. i think it helps.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea