bed thickness

bed thickness

PostBy: harley On: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:36 pm

I have a koker 160 new install and the coal bed seems to be thick it is the same height as the sides of the burn grate i thinned it with a poker
and the fire seemed to burn much hotter and brighter should it thin this out and if so could someone please tell me how this is done
harley
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Re: bed thickness

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:48 pm

If it's not backing up on the grate or overflowing the grate and is heating the house well,..I'm not sure you have a problem. Can you post some photos?
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Re: bed thickness

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:49 pm

Also, what's your feed rate? How many inches of burned out ash do you have at the end of the grate?
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Re: bed thickness

PostBy: freetown fred On: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Well CRAP, I just went in & measured my damn mattress--never mind :oops:
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: bed thickness

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:58 pm

Fred, it must be pretty thick with all the $$$ you've been stashing there all these years from what you've saved burning coal :D
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Re: bed thickness

PostBy: freetown fred On: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Indeed C12 :)
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: bed thickness

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:10 pm

Is the unit level?
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: bed thickness

PostBy: oilman On: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:58 pm

I do alot of Keystoker service and I have been running into this problem this year- it seems the coal does not slide very well even with smooth grates, which you would have since your unit is so new.........it's no secret that there has been coal quality issues this year, I think the demand has been so high since the summer that the companies have been scrambling and some washing procedues haven't been up to standards. At least that's what I'm thinking as what else would cause good looking well sized product to be sticky? (any coal processing experts reading this? Help!)
Anyway, I've been sanding grates on the older ones and with one new Koker the other day I shimmed the hopper end up slightly, I couldn't think of anything else besides having him get different coal....it worked......
I guess it is a potential clink in the armor of the flat bed design.
So anyway, if the underneath of the burner is clean, if the feed rate is good, if there is not excessive sideplay in the pusher,and there is not a piece of debris caught in the pusher area causing the bar not to extend all the way...........oh, and if the unit is level.....then you have the coal won't slide issue.
oilman
 

Re: bed thickness

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:33 pm

oilman wrote:I do alot of Keystoker service and I have been running into this problem this year- it seems the coal does not slide very well even with smooth grates, which you would have since your unit is so new.........it's no secret that there has been coal quality issues this year, I think the demand has been so high since the summer that the companies have been scrambling and some washing procedues haven't been up to standards. At least that's what I'm thinking as what else would cause good looking well sized product to be sticky? (any coal processing experts reading this? Help!)
Anyway, I've been sanding grates on the older ones and with one new Koker the other day I shimmed the hopper end up slightly, I couldn't think of anything else besides having him get different coal....it worked......
I guess it is a potential clink in the armor of the flat bed design.
So anyway, if the underneath of the burner is clean, if the feed rate is good, if there is not excessive sideplay in the pusher,and there is not a piece of debris caught in the pusher area causing the bar not to extend all the way...........oh, and if the unit is level.....then you have the coal won't slide issue.



I agree with this as well. Seen a lot of different issues this year related to coal. Not bad coal but coal that is not as good I guess you could say.
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: bed thickness

PostBy: WNYRob On: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:24 am

harley wrote:I have a koker 160 new install and the coal bed seems to be thick it is the same height as the sides of the burn grate i thinned it with a poker
and the fire seemed to burn much hotter and brighter should it thin this out and if so could someone please tell me how this is done


The coal bed thickness you are talking about sounds about right. If you look inside the stove at the back end of the coal bed you will see a steel plate that the coal is forced under. This can not be adjusted and the coal will only be as high as the plate allows it to be which at that end of the burn grate is about even with the top of the side rails. I have included a picture of mine that shows the plate fairly clearly.

coal fire1.JPG
(122.27 KiB) Viewed 51 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]50445[/nepathumb]


The reason your coal bed appeared to burn hotter and brighter when you thinned the coal bed out is that you essentially lowered the air resistance of the combustion air blowing up through the thinner bed. With the air "effectively" blowing harder, the coal will burn hotter, BUT you are burning less coal across the grate than what the koker was designed to burn so you really aren't gaining anything.

Also for those having problems with coal feeding in kokers. Based on what my stove dealer told me to do to ensure proper coal feeding. You need to shim the back of the stove so that is is leaning slightly forward, just a smidge beyond level. This causes the stoker bed to tilt slightly downward. If the bed is tilted upward, coal won't feed well. My basement floor is level, so I have the back of my stove shimmed up maybe 1/4". Again, just enough to get the bed tilted downward.
WNYRob
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker controlled with CoalTrol

Re: bed thickness

PostBy: Stoker6268 On: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:07 pm

Sounds like a design flaw to me. Also, I can see the plate controlling the thickness coming out, but after that, if the coal is binding up, its going to back up/build up. I would do as Rob suggests. Shim the unit and see if that improves anything.
Stoker6268
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Re: bed thickness

PostBy: WNYRob On: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:58 am

Stoker6268 wrote:Sounds like a design flaw to me. Also, I can see the plate controlling the thickness coming out, but after that, if the coal is binding up, its going to back up/build up. I would do as Rob suggests. Shim the unit and see if that improves anything.


I wouldn't really consider it a design flaw, the plate just ensures that there is a consistent depth of coal being pushed down the grate. But you are correct, if there is something sticking to the plates near the drop end, then coal will get bunched up once it is out from under that plate. In the three years of burning, my grates have absolutely no build up on them. At the end of the season, I just vacuum them off and they look just as good as the day I installed it. I know I am not using it to its full BTU capacity, house doesn't need that many BTU's to heat, so I probably am not running it as hard as some others need to.
WNYRob
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker controlled with CoalTrol

Visit Lehigh Anthracite