Upgrading to a DS Machine 1500

Upgrading to a DS Machine 1500

PostBy: Ditch-digger On: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:09 pm

I've been lurking here for a couple of years. I'm very thankful that I have found this site! It has helped me greatly.
I've been running a Harman Mk ll for 5-6 years now. I am hooked on coal.
I'm thinking of upgrading to a DS Machine 1500 in the next year or two.
I have a couple questions.
1) Are there any Ct. Members heating with this stove?
2) If so, would you ever purchase another?
3) Do you use a Baro or MPD?
4) What kind of burn times do you get when it's 10- 20 degrees at night?
5) Lastly, where did you purchase it? I figure I'll have to take a ride to go pick it up, as I don't notice any Ct. dealers.
Thanks in advance!
Our house is a single level ranch, about 2000 sq. Ft. Oil fired furnace, radiators.
Thanks again
Digger
Ditch-digger
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk ll
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Nut Size
Other Heating: Oil furnase

Re: Upgrading to a DS Machine 1500

PostBy: davidmcbeth3 On: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:17 pm

Welcome to the forum ..

I do not has a DS but plenty of folks on the site do ... a search for them maybe of help.

I don't see why limiting opinions to CT residents is helpful.
davidmcbeth3
 
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

Re: Upgrading to a DS Machine 1500

PostBy: Ditch-digger On: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:45 am

Thanks
I realized i was limiting the responce by put it in the Ct. catagory, after i had submitted it! I wonder if a moderator could move it to the Hand Fired stove catagory.If not, I'll repost it there in a day or so.
I put it in Ct. hoping to be able maybe go see one in action at a members place.
I'm torn between getting a Hitzer 50-93, or the DS Machine 1500 Circulator. Kind of looking for Pro's + Con's of each.
Digger
Ditch-digger
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk ll
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Nut Size
Other Heating: Oil furnase

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Upgrading to a DS Machine 1500

PostBy: KingCoal On: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:43 pm

that's simple. just put Hitzer 50-93 and / or DS Machine 1500 in the search this forum bar on the Hand Fired index page, grab a sandwich, beverage and put your feet up on the desk. ;)
KingCoal
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DSM 1400, Riteway # 37, Comforter Stove Works
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none
Stove/Furnace Model: 2013 1400 Circulator

Re: Upgrading to a DS Machine 1500

PostBy: coalfan On: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:43 pm

am very much interested in the ds 110 and 75 and am not getting ant responce or hits on them ??????????????? help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
coalfan
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: handfed coal stove
Stove/Furnace Model: hitzer /brunco hearthglow

Re: Upgrading to a DS Machine 1500

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:57 pm

Don't get discouraged guys, the honey do list starts when the temps hit 50ish. Hopefully there will be more traffic in the evening, when the boys get home.
michaelanthony
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

Re: Upgrading to a DS Machine 1500

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:41 pm

Yep outdoor time is almost here...
Richard needs a Coal App...
Download this...
Go for the DSM...
Had a Mark II...
Upgraded to the DSM Basement #4...
A very good upgrade... ;)
Picked up at the factory in PA...
CapeCoaler
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Re: Upgrading to a DS Machine 1500

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:25 pm

coalfan wrote:am very much interested in the ds 110 and 75 and am not getting ant responce or hits on them ??????????????? help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


If you want to learn about DS Machines and their stoves you're best to go to the source. You can call them directly; 717/768.3853 as to speak to Amos. They don't have a website because they are Amish and the whole technology thing. Most of the websites that do list they carry DSM stoves I find don't update their information on new models or changes to current ones so the information on them is old at best.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: Upgrading to a DS Machine 1500

PostBy: Rex On: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:01 pm

Ditch-digger wrote:I've been lurking here for a couple of years. I'm very thankful that I have found this site! It has helped me greatly.
I've been running a Harman Mk ll for 5-6 years now. I am hooked on coal.
I'm thinking of upgrading to a DS Machine 1500 in the next year or two.
I have a couple questions.
1) Are there any Ct. Members heating with this stove?

We are into our 4 winter using the DS 1500

2) If so, would you ever purchase another?

Yes I would. It has been a solid burner and built like a tank.

3) Do you use a Baro or MPD?

I do not. I used one for the first 2 years and found the stove running better without one, even in windy conditions I had no issues. This obviously could result differenlty with your chimney and setup.

4) What kind of burn times do you get when it's 10- 20 degrees at night?

This has been the hardest winter on the stove so far. Used to heat a 2800 square ft home, I always shake down and reload every 12hrs. Even in the blistery -30 below the stove was running hard and still kept the 12 hour refill without any issues. So far have used about 3.5 tons this season.

5) Lastly, where did you purchase it? I figure I'll have to take a ride to go pick it up, as I don't notice any Ct. dealers.
Thanks in advance!
Our house is a single level ranch, about 2000 sq. Ft. Oil fired furnace, radiators.
Thanks again
Digger
Rex
 
Stove/Furnace Make: D.S. Machine
Stove/Furnace Model: Circulator 1500

Re: Upgrading to a DS Machine 1500

PostBy: Ditch-digger On: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:04 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies!
I'm kind of leaning toward the DS Machine 1500. I think that the circulater pipes will help radiate way more heat than even the Hitzer 50-93. Which is my second choice!
I've found a place in New Jersey that sells both. I'll make a point of going there this summer, to check them out side by each.
I definitely want a stove with the hopper, for extended burns.
Anyone have any any Pro's or Con's of either stove?
Our Haman Mk ll has served well, but has to work to hard. Just under sized for this poorly insulated house.
Thanks again for your help!
And hey the honey do list is there year round!
Ditch-digger
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk ll
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Nut Size
Other Heating: Oil furnase

Re: Upgrading to a DS Machine 1500

PostBy: coalfan On: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:37 pm

too all thanx spoke with ds machine directand got a lot of answers takin care of and have pamphlets on the way and according to them it they ,the 110/75 both burn coal very well and as i was on the phone they had the 110 goin full of coal and no complaints !!!!!!!!! me gettin closer to my choice :D
coalfan
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: handfed coal stove
Stove/Furnace Model: hitzer /brunco hearthglow

Re: Upgrading to a DS Machine 1500

PostBy: lsayre On: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:32 pm

coalfan wrote:too all thanx spoke with ds machine directand got a lot of answers takin care of and have pamphlets on the way and according to them it they ,the 110/75 both burn coal very well and as i was on the phone they had the 110 goin full of coal and no complaints !!!!!!!!! me gettin closer to my choice :D


Did you ask them if it was designed more for anthracite or more for bituminous?
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: Upgrading to a DS Machine 1500

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:53 pm

[quote="Ditch-digger"]........... And hey the honey do list is there year round![/quote]

hee hee, I'm talkin' about the list left over from '13 :lol:
michaelanthony
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

Re: Upgrading to a DS Machine 1500

PostBy: KingCoal On: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:04 pm

Ditch-digger wrote:Thanks everyone for your replies!
I'm kind of leaning toward the DS Machine 1500. I think that the circulater pipes will help radiate way more heat than even the Hitzer 50-93. Which is my second choice!
I've found a place in New Jersey that sells both. I'll make a point of going there this summer, to check them out side by each.
I definitely want a stove with the hopper, for extended burns.
Anyone have any any Pro's or Con's of either stove?
Our Haman Mk ll has served well, but has to work to hard. Just under sized for this poorly insulated house.
Thanks again for your help!
And hey the honey do list is there year round!


do you intend to install this stove in a basement and heat the space above ? if yes, the DS stoves are excellent at that because they tend to throw most of the heat straight up, just the way it works.

do you intend to install the stove directly in the living space ? if yes, the Hitzer 50-93 will bury the DSM 1500. it's just a better radiant heater.
KingCoal
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DSM 1400, Riteway # 37, Comforter Stove Works
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none
Stove/Furnace Model: 2013 1400 Circulator

Re: Upgrading to a DS Machine 1500

PostBy: lsayre On: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:07 pm

KingCoal wrote:do you intend to install the stove directly in the living space ? if yes, the Hitzer 50-93 will bury the DSM 1500. it's just a better radiant heater.


Is that with or without the blower? Why is it a better radiant heater?
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Visit Hitzer Stoves

cron