Glenwood No. 8 in da house!.

Re: Glenwood No. 8 in da house!.

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Mon May 26, 2014 10:05 am

Do you remember this thread on stove polishes ?

Stove polish

Paul
Sunny Boy
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Re: Glenwood No. 8 in da house!.

PostBy: Pancho On: Tue May 27, 2014 6:54 am

Sunny Boy wrote:Do you remember this thread on stove polishes ?

Stove polish

Paul


No, I must have missed it.....but then I didn't have anything to polish at that point. :D Thanks for the linky though.

BTW, I picked up some 'Imperial' stove polish. I didn't see any difference between it and the old 'Blue Ribbon' stove polish that Wilson sent with the stove. I haven't put heat to it yet but as far as how it goes on and looks cold.....it looks good.
Pancho
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Re: Glenwood No. 8 in da house!.

PostBy: Pancho On: Tue May 27, 2014 6:20 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:Some of those old stove polishes weren't complicated. This is one that has only three ingredients. I know the person who's job it was to mix it and then fill the tins.

Paul


Paul, prior to your response on the stove paste I had sent an e-mail to the Baldwin's inquiring about availability. I was just sent this:

Good morning! I’m afraid manufacture of our Stazon Stove Paste has ceased for the time being – we will keep your email on file and notify you when production starts up again! Thanks for your inquiry! Jackie/Charles H. Baldwin & Sons


:up:

If nothing else, it's a cool looking tin!.
Pancho
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Glenwood No. 8 in da house!.

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Wed May 28, 2014 6:52 am

Pancho wrote:
Sunny Boy wrote:Some of those old stove polishes weren't complicated. This is one that has only three ingredients. I know the person who's job it was to mix it and then fill the tins.

Paul


Paul, prior to your response on the stove paste I had sent an e-mail to the Baldwin's inquiring about availability. I was just sent this:

Good morning! I’m afraid manufacture of our Stazon Stove Paste has ceased for the time being – we will keep your email on file and notify you when production starts up again! Thanks for your inquiry! Jackie/Charles H. Baldwin & Sons


:up:

If nothing else, it's a cool looking tin!.


Yup, I keep it with my small collection of stove stuff.

As long as you know of their website, here's a shameless plug for their products (Jackie is my future sister in law :D ). Their extracts are wonderful, and they make the best Worcestershire sauce. Also my favorite maple syrup.

And if you ever get over near West Stockbridge stop in, even if only just to look at the place. The business goes back in the family to the 1880's. The old place is part store, part museum and a delight to see with it's copper still for making the vanilla extract, the oak parlor stove that heated the place (they were coal people too), the oak barrels for storing the vanilla, and the old brass cash register they still use. Like stepping back 100 years.

Paul
Sunny Boy
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Re: Glenwood No. 8 in da house!.

PostBy: Pancho On: Wed May 28, 2014 9:29 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
As long as you know of their website, here's a shameless plug for their products (Jackie is my future sister in law :D ). Their extracts are wonderful, and they make the best Worcestershire sauce. Also my favorite maple syrup.

And if you ever get over near West Stockbridge stop in, even if only just to look at the place. The business goes back in the family to the 1880's. The old place is part store, part museum and a delight to see with it's copper still for making the vanilla extract, the oak parlor stove that heated the place (they were coal people too), the oak barrels for storing the vanilla, and the old brass cash register they still use. Like stepping back 100 years.

Paul


Site is bookmarked and I plan on making some orders.....looks like a neat place. I assume the syrup is seasonal?.

I would bet the smell of one of those oak barrels is intense.

BTW....minus the elbow, she's all assembled and cemented. Rumor has it there will be a day or so next week with a high in the 60's....we'll start curing the cement then.
Pancho
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Re: Glenwood No. 8 in da house!.

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Thu May 29, 2014 10:01 am

Pancho wrote:
Site is bookmarked and I plan on making some orders.....looks like a neat place. I assume the syrup is seasonal?.

I would bet the smell of one of those oak barrels is intense.

BTW....minus the elbow, she's all assembled and cemented. Rumor has it there will be a day or so next week with a high in the 60's....we'll start curing the cement then.



Nope, syrup available all year long as far as I know. They sell a special blended maple "table" syrup on the website - which is my favorite. Nice maple flavor without being too intense. I seem to remember seeing regular maple syrup on the shelf next to it, also in quarts and gallons, but I don't see that on their website, so maybe they just carry the pure maple syrup in the store.

If you like the smell of vanilla, a whiff of one of those barrels after three months of aging is pure heaven ! :) They're extract is made from special vanilla beans unlike the ones used in the vanilla extracts sold in Supermarkets and such stores. Much richer and more flavorful.,. . . even when used in baking.

We're back to damp and chilly - down in the low 50's - so I lit the range again. Looking at the national weather, looks like you too should be cold enough to give that stove a good try . . . even if only for a day or two to quench your curiosity, .......... and ours ! :D
Paul
Sunny Boy
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Re: Glenwood No. 8 in da house!.

PostBy: Pancho On: Thu May 29, 2014 12:29 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:Nope, syrup available all year long as far as I know. They sell a special blended maple "table" syrup on the website - which is my favorite. Nice maple flavor without being too intense. I seem to remember seeing regular maple syrup on the shelf next to it, also in quarts and gallons, but I don't see that on their website, so maybe they just carry the pure maple syrup in the store.

If you like the smell of vanilla, a whiff of one of those barrels after three months of aging is pure heaven ! :) They're extract is made from special vanilla beans unlike the ones used in the vanilla extracts sold in Supermarkets and such stores. Much richer and more flavorful.,. . . even when used in baking.


....I can almost smell it right now.
I'll get with my wife and we'll be making some purchases through them. Neat lookin' deal they have going.

We're back to damp and chilly - down in the low 50's - so I lit the range again. Looking at the national weather, looks like you too should be cold enough to give that stove a good try . . . even if only for a day or two to quench your curiosity, .......... and ours ! :D
Paul


Yeah, I talked to Skip yesterday and he said it was chilly out his way. We've been mid 70's to low 80's and the seven day forecast has us right around 80 so I dunno that firing the old gal up is in the cards anytime soon. Maybe some cool morning we'll touch it off and open the windows.
Pancho
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Re: Glenwood No. 8 in da house!.

PostBy: Photog200 On: Thu May 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Paul, I did not see the link to your future Sister-in-law's web site for the vanilla. That is something I would be interested in...

Randy
Photog200
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & Geneva Oak Andes #517
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Re: Glenwood No. 8 in da house!.

PostBy: Pancho On: Fri May 30, 2014 5:54 am

Photog200 wrote:Paul, I did not see the link to your future Sister-in-law's web site for the vanilla. That is something I would be interested in...

Randy



Here ya go: http://www.baldwinextracts.com/
Pancho
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Re: Glenwood No. 8 in da house!.

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Fri May 30, 2014 8:50 am

Photog200 wrote:Paul, I did not see the link to your future Sister-in-law's web site for the vanilla. That is something I would be interested in...

Randy



Randy,

Yes, I think you'd really enjoy, not only to cook with their extracts, but also to see their store. The Oak parlor there in the store is only used for display now, but it was used to heat the store back when Melissa was young.

However, Jackie and her husband Earl are into still using old stoves too. They cook on the Fuller and Warren Stewart wood/coal/gas range I posted about in the Cookin' with Coal thread. So, they are kindred spirits when it comes to using old stoves. ;)

Paul
Sunny Boy
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Re: Glenwood No. 8 in da house!.

PostBy: oldmanstyle On: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:52 pm

Been away from the forum for awhile Pancho. Congrats on the stove! I have the Glenwood #8 also. Love this stove! I'm sure you will too !
oldmanstyle
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8 Baseburner
Coal Size/Type: Nut & Stove Anthracite

Re: Glenwood No. 8 in da house!.

PostBy: Pancho On: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:09 pm

oldmanstyle wrote:Been away from the forum for awhile Pancho. Congrats on the stove! I have the Glenwood #8 also. Love this stove! I'm sure you will too !


As far as I know, there are three of us with #8's on NEPA....probably more I don't know of.

Small but happy club. :)
Pancho
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Re: Glenwood No. 8 in da house!.

PostBy: KingCoal On: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:16 am

never mind, wrong thread :oops:
KingCoal
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Comforter Stove Works
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Visit Hitzer Stoves