D.S. Machine Stove

Re: D.S. Machine Stove

PostBy: jeromemsn On: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:51 pm

Now that there be a stove! I like that! And that hood gives me an idea :idea: I kinda play with metal for a living and I think I'm going to build me a fume hood like they use above the cook stoves in restaurants to circulate the air in the house. the cold air return would be the make-up air and a small blower to move everything around, couple of limit switches to turn it on and off, hmmmm got some sketches and fab to do. Thanks for the great pics, and welcome to the forum!
jeromemsn
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker 90 dvc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman elite fireplace insert

Re: D.S. Machine Stove

PostBy: Amishdude On: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:22 am

jeromemsn wrote:Now that there be a stove! I like that! And that hood gives me an idea :idea: I kinda play with metal for a living and I think I'm going to build me a fume hood like they use above the cook stoves in restaurants to circulate the air in the house. the cold air return would be the make-up air and a small blower to move everything around, couple of limit switches to turn it on and off, hmmmm got some sketches and fab to do. Thanks for the great pics, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome. I have never seen a setup like this before, but it's what the Amish company said we needed for electric-free heating. Hope they know what they're doing. Sounds like you've got yourself a little "work" to do too. :D Good luck.
Amishdude
 

Re: D.S. Machine Stove

PostBy: europachris On: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:38 am

Do they have a model that will burn bituminous coal (keep the top load door but eliminate the hopper)? If so, it would look just like Berlin's bituminous burner he built.
europachris
 
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM 350/Iron Fireman
Stove/Furnace Model: Custom bituminous burner

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: D.S. Machine Stove

PostBy: Amishdude On: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:53 pm

europachris wrote:Do they have a model that will burn bituminous coal (keep the top load door but eliminate the hopper)? If so, it would look just like Berlin's bituminous burner he built.

I really can't answer that question. They only had 2 models in the showroom and they were very similar.
Amishdude
 

Re: D.S. Machine Stove

PostBy: Linc On: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:47 am

Did the stove come with the sheet metal housing? It would be nice if there was an outlet in NY for one of there stoves. :)
Linc
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Re: D.S. Machine Stove

PostBy: coalstoves On: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:50 am

Thanks fer posting pictures it looks like a Harman/Kodiak crossbreed good price . How do they instruct you to use it as a Hopper feed or standard handfired
coalstoves
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman and Liberty
Stove/Furnace Model: Magnum and Victory 700

Re: D.S. Machine Stove

PostBy: lincolnmania On: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:16 am

neat!
lincolnmania
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: efm af-150 1982
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning 1980 kenmore

Re: D.S. Machine Stove

PostBy: Amishdude On: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:40 pm

Linc wrote:Did the stove come with the sheet metal housing? It would be nice if there was an outlet in NY for one of there stoves. :)

Yes, the housing was part of the unit from the manufacturer.
Last edited by Amishdude on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amishdude
 

Re: D.S. Machine Stove

PostBy: Amishdude On: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:41 pm

coalstoves wrote:Thanks fer posting pictures it looks like a Harman/Kodiak crossbreed good price . How do they instruct you to use it as a Hopper feed or standard handfired

Unfortunately, they did not give any instructions at all. As soon as I get the returns installed, I'm going to try to fire her up. Wish me luck!
Amishdude
 

Re: D.S. Machine Stove

PostBy: katman On: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:49 pm

Welcome, and enjoy the quieter lifestyle. That's a nice looking stove. Where is the showroom?
katman
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Other Heating: Harman PB 105 Pellet Boiler

Re: D.S. Machine Stove

PostBy: Amishdude On: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:50 pm

katman wrote:Welcome, and enjoy the quieter lifestyle. That's a nice looking stove. Where is the showroom?

I purchased mine at an Amish heating shop called Coalway, in Apple Creek, Ohio.
Amishdude
 

Re: D.S. Machine Stove

PostBy: Amishdude On: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:15 pm

Finally got the returns installed and got the nerve to fire this thing up. IT IS WONDERFUL. After 35 years of nat. gas heat, I had forgotten how wonderful coal heat really is. Have been burning about 1 bag per day heating an 1800 sq. ft. home and doing a nice job of taking the chill off of the full basement as well. I am really liking this! :D
Amishdude
 

Re: D.S. Machine Stove

PostBy: pelletsrevil On: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi all,I know this is an old thread but I am currently thinking about getting a D.S Machines coal stove. If you have one do you like it? I am intersted where you got one installed for $1295. I am looking a 96,000 btu hopper model and they want $1599 just for the stove.Does anyone know of any dealers in NE PA. I am currently looking at the dealer in White Mills but will travel to save money.
Last edited by pelletsrevil on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pelletsrevil
 
Stove/Furnace Make: St Croix Afton Bay

Re: D.S. Machine Stove

PostBy: Freddy On: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:44 pm

Thanks for sharing the photos. That's a good looking rig. I think you got a real fair deal.
Freddy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: Need Coal? Post it here!

PostBy: tbilyeu On: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:54 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Amishdude wrote: All I have to do now is to re-learn how to fire and maintain a coal stove. Last time was 30 years ago when I was 13 years old. I hear things have changed a bit since then. :?


Just remember the coal is 30 years older too, so its probably a lot grumpier. :)

if you figure out how to fire the stove and keep it burning let me know
tbilyeu
 
Stove/Furnace Make: d.s. machine
Stove/Furnace Model: riteburn downdraft 135000 btu

Visit Hitzer Stoves