Gun advice?

Re: Gun advice?

PostBy: warminmn On: Thu May 22, 2014 9:14 pm

I think both the 870 and the Mossbergs are good shotguns. They are both reliable. The main difference would be that the Mossberg has the safety on top and the 870 it is on the trigger guard. I think the mossberg may be a little lighter.

I have a Mossberg because I shoot traditional muzzleloaders and singleshots, revolvers, and am used to a safety or hammer for my thumb that I have trouble remembering where the safety is on a trigger guard. But dont be scared of either gun.

And dont be scared to get a 20 gauge if a 12 kicks too much for you. Or if smaller people are going to shoot it too. They will do almost anything a 12 will do. For home use, at 20 feet, I doubt any criminal will be a threat after being shot with either one.

A youth stock will shorten them up a little too.
warminmn
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite. Soft coal
Other Heating: wood

Re: Gun advice?

PostBy: SMITTY On: Thu May 22, 2014 9:46 pm

I like the 870 for the same reason I love cars built before '72 - simplicity, and the reliability of a stone ax.

As mentioned, there are different variations of the 870, but the basic action is all the same. There's billions of them around, and they're affordable (for the most part) - another reason to love them. Also why I love the 1911. I carry a 3" version of one, with a doublestacked mag of .45 ACP. 8-)



Yeah, NJ's gun laws make liberal Massachusetts' gun laws seem like the wild west, if you can believe that one! :shock: We used to be the worst in the nation - not anymore! Seems NY & CT are duking it out to overtake NJ in who can trample citizens' Second Amendment rights the most ... :mad:

I have an 870 Express. It's been slightly modified ....

Image
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: Gun advice?

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Fri May 23, 2014 6:28 am

SMITTY wrote:I like the 870 for the same reason I love cars built before '72 - simplicity, and the reliability of a stone ax.

As mentioned, there are different variations of the 870, but the basic action is all the same. There's billions of them around, and they're affordable (for the most part) - another reason to love them. Also why I love the 1911. I carry a 3" version of one, with a doublestacked mag of .45 ACP. 8-)



Yeah, NJ's gun laws make liberal Massachusetts' gun laws seem like the wild west, if you can believe that one! :shock: We used to be the worst in the nation - not anymore! Seems NY & CT are duking it out to overtake NJ in who can trample citizens' Second Amendment rights the most ... :mad:

I have an 870 Express. It's been slightly modified ....


And people think Christie would make a good president. :mad: Nice shotgun there Smitty,
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer


Re: Gun advice?

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Fri May 23, 2014 6:59 am

Damn Smitty, that is nice. I've been looking at all kinds of cool add-ons for the 870. I think that's the one I'm going to go with. I'm going to be picking my paperwork up tonight after work; may even leave a tad early too. Tomorrow I'm going to go hit up the one gun shop by me and take a gander at what he's got. He's both a Remington and Taurus dealer so that's a plus. But like it's been said, I'll probably shop hop and handle as much as I can before I commit to anything.

I also like rifles but haven't bothered looking at any because the one I want isn't cheap. Although my wife did look in my NRA magazine, yes, I'm a member already one year and like 3 months. She pointed out an AR-15 and said, 'Why aren't you getting one of those?' I just looked at her and said, "$$$, I'm already looking at $1k+ for the 1911 and shotgun plus a safe and ammo. We can't afford an AR right now."

Oh, I was actually considering a 20 gauge already. But it was more of a, get a 12 and a 20 at some point.

I can already see this is going to be an expensive hobby, but it should be a fun one. My brother also works with an NRA instructor so I may try and weasel a few free lessons out of him. My brother said he'd ask but I haven't heard anything yet. I really was surprised it only took 3 weeks for the paperwork to come back, I honestly did expect it to take six months like I was told.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: Gun advice?

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Fri May 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Called the PD and told them I was on my way at 14:20. 15:40 I still wasn't there. The guy who runs the records counter called me back at 15:41, 'What happened? You said you were on your way.', I apologized, told him I was in Newark when I called and thought I'd be there. 'That's fine, but I'm closing up the counter in 15 minutes for the weekend.' I made it there with 10 minutes to spare and apologized again for holding him up. He was cool about it.

It is official, I am now a card carrying legal to purchase firearms holder.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: Gun advice?

PostBy: KLook On: Fri May 23, 2014 9:19 pm

Awesome....and here is my .02 cents worth. I grew up with an 870 Wingmaster and my uncles and extended family had them as well. Old ones generally . They are the finest shotgun made since the Model 12 Winchester for durability and reliability. Some of the new Benelli's and such are probably better, but you don't need a Porsche, just a working mans shotgun.
I have heard many stories about problems with Taurus. I can't however verify or quantify those concerns. When I purchased it was a Springfield XD45C and a Keltec PF-9. Both are superb. I admire the 1911's for the history and quality that is put into them, they are a design years ahead of their time. But time moves on and I don't want 5 safeties, and a heavy steel gun. Not to mention the cost. I will eventually own a Kimber 1911 just because I like superb weapons, but it won't be my go to gun. It will be a treasure.
Just be sure to get something that fits your hand, get it in a size you can handle, and practice with it.
Have fun selecting!!! :D

Kevin
KLook
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

Re: Gun advice?

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Fri May 23, 2014 9:20 pm

Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: Gun advice?

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Fri May 23, 2014 9:51 pm

KLook wrote:Awesome....and here is my .02 cents worth. I grew up with an 870 Wingmaster and my uncles and extended family had them as well. Old ones generally . They are the finest shotgun made since the Model 12 Winchester for durability and reliability. Some of the new Benelli's and such are probably better, but you don't need a Porsche, just a working mans shotgun.
I have heard many stories about problems with Taurus. I can't however verify or quantify those concerns. When I purchased it was a Springfield XD45C and a Keltec PF-9. Both are superb. I admire the 1911's for the history and quality that is put into them, they are a design years ahead of their time. But time moves on and I don't want 5 safeties, and a heavy steel gun. Not to mention the cost. I will eventually own a Kimber 1911 just because I like superb weapons, but it won't be my go to gun. It will be a treasure.
Just be sure to get something that fits your hand, get it in a size you can handle, and practice with it.
Have fun selecting!!! :D

Kevin


I looked at some Kimber pistols. Wow are they too rich for my blood. I've heard mixed things about Taurus. I'm going to swing by the gun shop by me tomorrow to look at some Remington shotguns, o do like the Wingmaster but I'm not looking for a 22"+ barrel; I don't hunt and it'd be too long for home defense. Although I know I can just buy a shorter barrel for it. I'll see what he has in the way of .45 handguns too.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: Gun advice?

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Fri May 23, 2014 9:52 pm



Christie is a tool.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: Gun advice?

PostBy: KLook On: Fri May 23, 2014 9:55 pm

o do like the Wingmaster but I'm not looking for a 22"+ barrel;


Yes, yes, I am sorry...but the action is the critical thing and they are the same no matter what 870 you get. I like the older guns as they have been "worn" in and yes you can add barrels and accessories like Smitty has. You might save money buying an old used shotgun and then putting the things you want on it as you can.

kevin
KLook
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

Re: Gun advice?

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Fri May 23, 2014 9:59 pm

KLook wrote:
o do like the Wingmaster but I'm not looking for a 22"+ barrel;


Yes, yes, I am sorry...but the action is the critical thing and they are the same no matter what 870 you get. I like the older guns as they have been "worn" in and yes you can add barrels and accessories like Smitty has. You might save money buying an old used shotgun and then putting the things you want on it as you can.

kevin


It's cool, the Wingmaster is nice and the only thing putting me off on it is the barrel length. I'm going to see what he has in the way of used before I ask about new. I totally get where you are coming from.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: Gun advice?

PostBy: SMITTY On: Fri May 23, 2014 10:54 pm

Yeah, Kimber is like a '14 Cadillac ... but you can get around just fine in a 60 year old Ford. ;)

I paid around $500 for my 1911 - it's an Auto Ordinance, made right here in Worcester, MA by Kahr. One of the few and dwindling manufacturers left in the city ...

I like to stick with American guns - not that the foreign ones are bad - it's just my thing. I think Glocks are some of the best shooting guns out there, but I don't own one. Not just because they're nearly impossible to get in MA, & because of that, cost a fortune here (thanks to our moronic state government, and their "list" of "non-compliant" guns :mad: ) ... but because I like my 1911-style pistols. You have to work at doing something stupid to get a negligent discharge with a 1911.
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: Gun advice?

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Sat May 24, 2014 6:59 am

SMITTY wrote:Yeah, Kimber is like a '14 Cadillac ... but you can get around just fine in a 60 year old Ford. ;)

I paid around $500 for my 1911 - it's an Auto Ordinance, made right here in Worcester, MA by Kahr. One of the few and dwindling manufacturers left in the city ...

I like to stick with American guns - not that the foreign ones are bad - it's just my thing. I think Glocks are some of the best shooting guns out there, but I don't own one. Not just because they're nearly impossible to get in MA, & because of that, cost a fortune here (thanks to our moronic state government, and their "list" of "non-compliant" guns :mad: ) ... but because I like my 1911-style pistols. You have to work at doing something stupid to get a negligent discharge with a 1911.


Damn you, Smitty. I totally forgot about Auto-Ordnance now I'm going to have to swing by Simon Peter's too to look at those.
Last edited by I'm On Fire on Sat May 24, 2014 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: Gun advice?

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sat May 24, 2014 7:40 am

IOF think about looking up a good pistol self defense course as well if you haven't already. You can go to NRA website http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx orother searches.

I am trying to convince my wife to go next time. At least for self defense in the home.She is not much for shooting but she is on the fence and may do it.
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: Gun advice?

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Sat May 24, 2014 7:43 am

Flyer5 wrote:IOF think about looking up a good pistol self defense course as well if you haven't already. You can go to NRA website http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx orother searches.

I am trying to convince my wife to go next time. At least for self defense in the home.She is not much for shooting but she is on the fence and may do it.


My brother works with an NRA instructor. He said he was going to talk to him and see if he could swing me some free lessons. If not I'm still going to take them, I'll just have to pay.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator