WalMart is beginning to collapse. A sure sign of recession.

Re: WalMart is beginning to collapse. A sure sign of recession.

PostBy: warminmn On: Fri May 30, 2014 5:02 pm

I'm not beyond working for walmart if I had too, but on the rare occassions I shop there, they are the most depressed, sad looking bunch of employees I see anywhere but some factories. that kind of tells me that they are treated like crap.

IOF, sorry about your wifes problems. I cant imagine having only 38 hours of vacation pay, plus the other things. A person does get trapped into jobs by wages, health care, children, etc. They can make it difficult to quit, but sometimes you just have too leave irregardless. I wish her luck.

Greed and a lack of respect really took over after the last recession/depression started.
warminmn
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite. Soft coal
Other Heating: wood

Re: WalMart is beginning to collapse. A sure sign of recession.

PostBy: freetown fred On: Fri May 30, 2014 5:17 pm

Upset with $18.00 an hr??????? You damn sure don't want to live in this part of upstate NY. Of course, living with-in our means always comes to the fore-front for me. YES, raised 5 kids, all got the post education they wanted, didn't go to school in rags--nor $100.00 dollar fancy jeans or sneakers & had food on the table every meal--plus ALL had mandatory chores to do. Unfortunately, this whole thing is as much a WE problem as it is a Wally World problem--Anybody want to get me started on unions?????? I think NOT!!!
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: WalMart is beginning to collapse. A sure sign of recession.

PostBy: anthony7812 On: Fri May 30, 2014 5:22 pm

Lightning wrote:I actually shop elsewhere and am willing to pay a little more for my items instead of being surrounded by the freaks they attract..


Thats half the FUN! You should see the looneys around 2 in the morning :lol: ;)
anthony7812
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Nut/Anthracite


Re: WalMart is beginning to collapse. A sure sign of recession.

PostBy: jpete On: Fri May 30, 2014 5:27 pm

$18/hr is more than I started at as an HVAC apprentice and nearly as much as I make after a year. Maybe she could take up a trade? :D
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: WalMart is beginning to collapse. A sure sign of recession.

PostBy: anthony7812 On: Fri May 30, 2014 5:27 pm

I'm On Fire wrote:Clearly you don't know of anyone that works there. .


Sounds like the Location she works at sucks, and thats a bumber. Im being serious, working conditions affect all parts of your life. BUT I do know people who work at walmart and they are happy as can be expected.Of course they want more money but who doesnt and how can that be sustained in the grand scheme of things. IN fact I know someone who left a damn great job to go back because they liked what they did.
anthony7812
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Nut/Anthracite

Re: WalMart is beginning to collapse. A sure sign of recession.

PostBy: anthony7812 On: Fri May 30, 2014 5:36 pm

northernmainecoal wrote:WalMart is a perfect example of what is wrong with this country


Hold up a sec, how is walmart an example of whats wrong with this country?? You wanna know whats really wrong with this country, the lack of decent PARENTING. I guess thats a whole other can of worms in itself tho. Your not made to go thier, they used capitalism to its favor and are maximizing however they (Walmart) see fit. Whether we agree with it or not. Free choice cannot be a pick and choose case.
anthony7812
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Nut/Anthracite

Re: WalMart is beginning to collapse. A sure sign of recession.

PostBy: Lightning On: Fri May 30, 2014 6:27 pm

Because of Wal-Mart's low pricing, many people only see the "external" effects. For example, small businesses can't compete and go under. The small Ma and Pa stores don't thrive. When the owners retire or pass away, many of them just close shop since a young person looking to invest in a business knows it wouldn't pay the bills.

Being a bread man, I also see the "internal" effects of their low pricing. Wal-Mart pretty much dictates what products we can take in their store, how much we sell them for (retail) and how much they (Wal-Mart) will pay us (the company/manufacturer) for the products. They even dictate how much space will be given for an item and how it will be displayed on their shelves..

So, as the Ma and Pa stores loose ground where they could get full retail and we could get full wholesale, we begin to cut our own throats selling at places like Wal-Mart. This all propagates thru with more demand from our company on us as salesman to sell more and work harder for our pay. It works its way up the chain into cutting costs on manufacturing, ways of distribution and also means producing an inferior product. The disease spreads throughout both sides of the equation.

Wal-Mart and their way is absolutely not healthy for the economy. People think they are saving money by shopping there, but in the long run it will have detrimental consequences.. And now, I think they are just starting to show up. :o
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

Re: WalMart is beginning to collapse. A sure sign of recession.

PostBy: jpete On: Fri May 30, 2014 6:38 pm

To your point Lee, and maybe you are already familiar with what Wal-Mart did to Vlasic.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bac_1342681195

This is the product that Wal-Mart fell in love with: Vlasic's gallon jar of pickles.

Wal-Mart priced it at $2.97--a year's supply of pickles for less than $3! "They were using it as a 'statement' item," says Pat Hunn, who calls himself the "mad scientist" of Vlasic's gallon jar. "Wal-Mart was putting it before consumers, saying, This represents what Wal-Mart's about. You can buy a stinkin' gallon of pickles for $2.97. And it's the nation's number-one brand.


For Vlasic, the gallon jar of pickles became what might be called a devastating success. "Quickly, it started cannibalizing our non-Wal-Mart business," says Young. "We saw consumers who used to buy the spears and the chips in supermarkets buying the Wal-Mart gallons. They'd eat a quarter of a jar and throw the thing away when they got moldy. A family can't eat them fast enough."


Young remembers begging Wal-Mart for relief. "They said, 'No way,' " says Young. "We said we'll increase the price"--even $3.49 would have helped tremendously--"and they said, 'If you do that, all the other products of yours we buy, we'll stop buying.' It was a clear threat." Hunn recalls things a little differently, if just as ominously: "They said, 'We want the $2.97 gallon of pickles. If you don't do it, we'll see if someone else might.' I knew our competitors were saying to Wal-Mart, 'We'll do the $2.97 gallons if you give us your other business.' " Wal-Mart's business was so indispensable to Vlasic, and the gallon so central to the Wal-Mart relationship, that decisions about the future of the gallon were made at the CEO level.

Finally, Wal-Mart let Vlasic up for air. "The Wal-Mart guy's response was classic," Young recalls. "He said, 'Well, we've done to pickles what we did to orange juice. We've killed it. We can back off.' " Vlasic got to take it down to just over half a gallon of pickles, for $2.79. Not long after that, in January 2001, Vlasic filed for bankruptcy.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: WalMart is beginning to collapse. A sure sign of recession.

PostBy: anthony7812 On: Fri May 30, 2014 6:46 pm

Lightning wrote:Because of Wal-Mart's low pricing, many people only see the "external" effects. For example, small businesses can't compete and go under. The small Ma and Pa stores don't thrive. When the owners retire or pass away, many of them just close shop since a young person looking to invest in a business knows it wouldn't pay the bills.

Being a bread man, I also see the "internal" effects of their low pricing. Wal-Mart pretty much dictates what products we can take in their store, how much we sell them for (retail) and how much they (Wal-Mart) will pay us (the company/manufacturer) for the products. They even dictate how much space will be given for an item and how it will be displayed on their shelves..

So, as the Ma and Pa stores loose ground where they could get full retail and we could get full wholesale, we begin to cut our own throats selling at places like Wal-Mart. This all propagates thru with more demand from our company on us as salesman to sell more and work harder for our pay. It works its way up the chain into cutting costs on manufacturing, ways of distribution and also means producing an inferior product. The disease spreads throughout both sides of the equation.

Wal-Mart and their way is absolutely not healthy for the economy. People think they are saving money by shopping there, but in the long run it will have detrimental consequences.. And now, I think they are just starting to show up. :o


I will agree with everything you stated except for healthy economy. Walmart is always growing or rebuilding. All the skilled labor that is contracted out for building these buildings or rebuilding/maintaining property. The Hvac guy who maintains thier setup, the truck drivers (such as you yourself) that hauls product to and from. I can go on and on but I guess if ALL we look at is the mom and pop stores i can see the hurt.
anthony7812
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Nut/Anthracite

Re: WalMart is beginning to collapse. A sure sign of recession.

PostBy: anthony7812 On: Fri May 30, 2014 6:50 pm

jpete wrote:To your point Lee, and maybe you are already familiar with what Wal-Mart did to Vlasic.


If Vlasic had all thier "chips" tossed into one buyer than the inevitable was bound to happen. Big buyer(walmart), but you have to be prepared for a disruption.
anthony7812
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Nut/Anthracite

Re: WalMart is beginning to collapse. A sure sign of recession.

PostBy: Lightning On: Fri May 30, 2014 7:01 pm

anthony7812 wrote:I will agree with everything you stated except for healthy economy.

OK, I'm easy to get along with :) .. I think its fair to say its probably good for some but not good for most... I think in the long haul, in the big picture, with the whole freegin apple cart :lol: Its gonna do damage when it all washes out. But that's just a hunch.. Not only does it hurt ma and pa stores, it infiltrates companies, manufacturers and all their employees as well, at some level. They play the part well looking good for the community with donations and help. Guess who they come to for the donations and help? They ask the company I work for, nearly every year for donations for "their" causes.. I'm sure they ask others too..
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

Re: WalMart is beginning to collapse. A sure sign of recession.

PostBy: jpete On: Fri May 30, 2014 8:28 pm

anthony7812 wrote:
jpete wrote:To your point Lee, and maybe you are already familiar with what Wal-Mart did to Vlasic.


If Vlasic had all thier "chips" tossed into one buyer than the inevitable was bound to happen. Big buyer(walmart), but you have to be prepared for a disruption.


But Wal Mart wants its shelves stocked in all its stores. That quantity didn't allow "excess" product to go to anyone else. They demanded all the inventory, and then demanded a low price.

Yes, Vlasic could have told them to pound sand, but most companies can't do that to the worlds largest retailer.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: WalMart is beginning to collapse. A sure sign of recession.

PostBy: anthony7812 On: Fri May 30, 2014 8:37 pm

jpete wrote:Yes, Vlasic could have told them to pound sand, but most companies can't do that to the worlds largest retailer.

Cant Argue that...
anthony7812
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Nut/Anthracite

Re: WalMart is beginning to collapse. A sure sign of recession.

PostBy: lsayre On: Fri May 30, 2014 8:53 pm

My company tried several times to sell its products at WalMart. WalMart dictates the price and cuts the margin for everyone but themselves to zilch, so we gave up even trying.

I don't know if this is true, but I've heard rumors that loads of the stuff sold at WalMart is on consignment, so WalMart doesn't have a penny invested in the goods until after they are already sold.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: WalMart is beginning to collapse. A sure sign of recession.

PostBy: Lightning On: Fri May 30, 2014 9:25 pm

lsayre wrote:I don't know if this is true, but I've heard rumors that loads of the stuff sold at WalMart is on consignment, so WalMart doesn't have a penny invested in the goods until after they are already sold.


Well partner, here is a prime example of this. The bread I take into Wal-Mart isn't charged to the store. The bill I print for the product isn't even given to the store. The bill means nothing to them. The only reason I process a bill is so I get my commission on the product. As a matter of fact, the product I take in, or take out (old bread) isn't checked by the Wal-Mart receiver to see if it matches the bill! It's called "scan based payment". Wal-Mart ONLY pays the bread company for what it scans as sold at the front register. They take NO LOSS on theft or missing product or damaged product for that matter (damaged by them or customers). SO, if they decide to have a company picnic and nobody scans the rolls they use thru the front register, GUESS WHAT? The bread company just bought it for them!
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix