Gun Thread

Re: Gun Thread

PostBy: Ed.A On: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:28 am

Flyer5 wrote: he would rather have criminal control .

What a novel idea, punish the punks....so hard to understand. :lol:
Ed.A
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Re: Gun Thread

PostBy: sandman On: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:35 pm

"Any man may not, in honor, submit to threats of violence. But many men
who are not cowards are simply unprepared for the fact of human
savagery. They have not thought about it (incredible as this may appear to
anyone who reads the papers or listens to the news) and they just don't
know what to do. When they look into the face of depravity or violence
they are astonished and confounded." --Jeff Cooper


However, complete, fully-thought-through, professional, well executed violence never leads to more violence because, you see, afterwards, the other guys are all dead.

Gen. Richard E. Hawley (USAF-Ret)


btw: while i ride if i was in a truck and had a group of bikers putting me in danger of death or grave bodily harm and i'm in a 8000 lb vehicle it woulld be a lot easier to run them all over/ off the road than it would be to engage them with a firearm.

if all you have is a hammer everthing starts to look like a nail.
sandman
 
Stove/Furnace Make: harman
Stove/Furnace Model: VF3000, mark III sf150&250

Re: Gun Thread

PostBy: acesover On: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:35 pm

Someone top this one, I once lit a cigarette off the barrel of my M-60 machinegun, May 5, 1970, Cambodia.
acesover
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Baker
Stove/Furnace Model: insert, modified


Re: Gun Thread

PostBy: Scottscoaled On: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:01 pm

I once shot the filter in half on a marlboro at 373 yards. Scott
Scottscoaled
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520x3, 700 Van Wert 800
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: EFM 150, Keystoker 150
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck

Re: Gun Thread

PostBy: acesover On: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:05 pm

how many rounds did that filter get back at you, before you split it?
acesover
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Baker
Stove/Furnace Model: insert, modified

Re: Gun Thread

PostBy: e.alleg On: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:46 am

acesover wrote:Someone top this one, I once lit a cigarette off the barrel of my M-60 machinegun, May 5, 1970, Cambodia.


didn't you know that smoking is dangerous?




















:D Just kidding
e.alleg
 
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 520

Re: Gun Thread

PostBy: spc On: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:37 pm

"U.S. Supreme Court seems poised to strike down D.C. handgun ban."


http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-scotus19mar19,0,2685078.story
This link is broken, either the page no longer exists or there is some other issue like a typo.
spc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: Gun Thread

PostBy: spc On: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:28 pm

Pizza Hut driver suspended & maybe fired for defending himself.
"he fired multiple shots at a man who put a gun to his head"

Does Pizza Hut want drivers carrying? No.
Does the guy have a right to defend himself? Yes.


http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/p ... S/80401028
spc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: Gun Thread

PostBy: LsFarm On: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:36 pm

Interesting read, the 'blog' after the news article is a good read... one 'snippet' from one comment: Guns are for crime prvention, cops are for crime reaction.. LOL

Someone started a site for this pizza-delivery guy...
http://www.jamesspiershero.com
This link is broken, either the page no longer exists or there is some other issue like a typo.


Greg L

.
LsFarm
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Re: Gun Thread

PostBy: Devil505 On: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:06 pm

Greg & I have gotten off on a "Grease Gun" question, for any of you experts out there:
We know the old 45cal "grease gun" (so named for it's resemblance to the auot garage tool it looks like) was "Blowback" operated, but neither of us are sure if the bolt actualy locked for firing (we think it probably did) or if its mass was enough to allow the round to fire & then was massive enough to absorb most of the recoil so it wasn't blown out of the back end of the weapon. Anyone know?


Edit: Here's a site relatimng to it
http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/grease.htm
This link is broken, either the page no longer exists or there is some other issue like a typo.
Last edited by Devil505 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Gun Thread

PostBy: Devil505 On: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:09 pm

Another question: When a firearm is said to fire "from an open bolt", can someone explain exactly what that means & what are the benefits/drawbacks to firing from an open or closed bolt? (I think firing from a closed bolt keeps the weapon cleaner but makes it hotter, but not positve)
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Gun Thread

PostBy: spc On: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:25 pm

Devil5052 wrote:Another question: When a firearm is said to fire "from an open bolt", can someone explain exactly what that means & what are the benefits/drawbacks to firing from an open or closed bolt? (I think firing from a closed bolt keeps the weapon cleaner but makes it hotter, but not positve)
A semi or fully automatic firearm is said to fire from an open bolt if, when ready to fire, the bolt and working parts are held to the rear. When the trigger is pulled the bolt goes forward, feeding a round from the magazine into the chamber and firing it. Like any other self-loading design without an external power supply, the action is cycled by the energy of the shot; this sends the bolt back to the rear, ejecting the empty cartridge case and preparing for the next shot.

Compared to a closed bolt design, open bolt weapons generally have fewer moving parts. The firing pin is usually part of the bolt, saving on manufacturing costs. In automatic weapons an open bolt helps eliminate the dangerous phenomenon known as "cook-off," wherein the firing chamber becomes so hot that rounds spontaneously fire without trigger input, often causing the weapon to fire uncontrollably until it jams or exhausts its ammunition. Accuracy can suffer somewhat in an open-bolt design, but this is generally less of a concern in automatic weapons.

Many movies and video games portray open-bolt weapons as needing to be charged after reloading. This is not generally true, however, as the operation of basic open bolt weapons sends the bolt carrier back into a cocked position via the excess gas from the spent round. The sole exception is if the trigger was held down after the last round has been fired, at which point the bolt will fly forward once more and stay there. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_bolt
spc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: Gun Thread

PostBy: e.alleg On: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:52 pm

You can legally own a machine gun, check the current prices. $15,000+ and a stack of paperwork, but it can be done.
e.alleg
 
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 520

Re: Gun Thread

PostBy: Devil505 On: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:55 pm

spc wrote:
Devil5052 wrote:Another question: When a firearm is said to fire "from an open bolt", can someone explain exactly what that means & what are the benefits/drawbacks to firing from an open or closed bolt? (I think firing from a closed bolt keeps the weapon cleaner but makes it hotter, but not positve)
A semi or fully automatic firearm is said to fire from an open bolt if, when ready to fire, the bolt and working parts are held to the rear. When the trigger is pulled the bolt goes forward, feeding a round from the magazine into the chamber and firing it. Like any other self-loading design without an external power supply, the action is cycled by the energy of the shot; this sends the bolt back to the rear, ejecting the empty cartridge case and preparing for the next shot.

Compared to a closed bolt design, open bolt weapons generally have fewer moving parts. The firing pin is usually part of the bolt, saving on manufacturing costs. In automatic weapons an open bolt helps eliminate the dangerous phenomenon known as "cook-off," wherein the firing chamber becomes so hot that rounds spontaneously fire without trigger input, often causing the weapon to fire uncontrollably until it jams or exhausts its ammunition. Accuracy can suffer somewhat in an open-bolt design, but this is generally less of a concern in automatic weapons.

Many movies and video games portray open-bolt weapons as needing to be charged after reloading. This is not generally true, however, as the operation of basic open bolt weapons sends the bolt carrier back into a cocked position via the excess gas from the spent round. The sole exception is if the trigger was held down after the last round has been fired, at which point the bolt will fly forward once more and stay there. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_bolt


Thanks for the info spc but I was really hoping that someone with first hand, real life experience with firearms would answer this question so that I could ask them a few more questions on the subject. I know Wikipedia's url too, & could have looked it up myself if I just wanted a basic, canned answer.
I'm trying to figure you out spc but am not suceeding??? :?: :?: :?:
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Gun Thread

PostBy: e.alleg On: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:58 pm

if you are looking for info on how to make your own: don't. you will go to jail guaranteed.
e.alleg
 
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 520