I've got the stove working as well as I can expect ... maybe even better. Keeping in mind, that it was meant to be "supplementary heat", it did a pretty good job last night, with the temps being 1*F.. Of course the oil furnace kicked on several times, with the coal stove being drafted down. During the day, while I can tend it, the furnace doesn't run.
So, this morning, while adding coal to the stove and the sun shinning through the window, I noticed what a cloud of coal dust there was, as I shoveled from the coal pail. Since I have to do my own cleaning, and have noticed the black dust on the furniture in the stove room, I felt this should be my next "area of attention".
Since I have odd pieces of pipe and fittings, I decided to make a "pre-load" (speed loaders) container. (The muzzle loaders will know what I mean.) I made up a piece of 6" pipe X 12" long, with end cap, 45* elbow and a 5" extension. Plus, I installed a handle. The intent, is to fill this "device" outside and be able to dump it right into the stove ... no dust! Once I get the hang of it, the pre-load should "just fill" the stove.
I carry my coal in from a back building .. about 6' behind the house. If this thing works out, I'll make several of them, take them out, scoop them full and bring them inside, rather than the coal pail. I haven't tried it, yet, so am open to suggestions.
This the first mod. to the filler (even though only modified on the computer). The fill spout should have had a vertical cut.