I agree, the warranty should cover this and my first call was to the dealer on Wed. It is the usual story that this dealer doesn't know a whole lot about the stoves (they sell mostly pellet) and was waiting on a call back from Harmon. When I called them, I was hoping they would have a Mark III in stock that I could drive over and look at to see how it was supposed to be, but they didn't. At the time I didn't know the Mark I & II's were the same or I would have driven over to look at the Mark I they have in their warehouse. Looking at the pictures and descriptions you guys were great enough to post answered all my questions.
I did hear back from the dealer this morning. Even with my "unofficial" part names, the dealer said Harmon knew immediately what was being described and the problem that I was having and didn't need to see the pic's I had emailed to the dealer. Sounds like maybe I'm not the first to have this issue?????? Maybe a mfg. update should be made?????? Anyway, Harmon said that it is covered under warranty and the dealer should send out their welder to weld the rod back onto the linkage. Slight issue in that the dealer doesn't have a welder on staff to send out. Harmon then said to have the customer arrange for a welder to come out and fix it and they will pay for the house call.
So that is where I am now, getting a friend to come over with a portable welder at some point to get me back in coal burning mode.
I can get about a 5 hour burn out of a decent load of firewood in the stove. I got up once last night to reload so it wouldn't burn out through the night. I have oak that has been drying for 1-2 years depending on where I am in my pile (stored in a mostly dry pole barn).
Just to let you know that Murphy is alive and well....
I wasn't too concerned with getting the stove fixed asap since we have a propane furnace. Of course I would rather not run it full time, but figured for a few days it could be primary while burning wood in the stove could be supplemental. Well after supper last night I noticed it was feeling a little cool in the house and I go check the thermostat....65 and I have it set to come on at 67....hmmmmm.... I pull off the cover and the furnace board led is flashing an error code and the furnace won't fire up.
After checking about half of the 10 possibilities listed in the manual I decided to stockpile some firewood inside and get the stove stoked to keep the house warm while I considered this amazing run of luck that I am having!!! I tried a couple more things last night, no luck. I came up with an idea that worked this morning so the furnace is back in business.
Just in case somebody out there runs into something similar, here is what worked for me. Ours is a fairly new (6 yo) high efficiency model that pulls combustion air in and is vented through a sleeved PVC pipe through the wall. I disconnected a port where the combustion air is piped in and held my leaf blower to this port so it could blow any debris out of the pipe to the outside that may be causing a blockage. Nothing big came out, only a few PVC shavings that were in the pipe from when it was cut to size, but I connect everything back up and turn on the furnace and wallah..... it now works. There are a couple pressure switches that monitor this incoming air and maybe there was some small blockage that the leaf blower dislodged.