General Petraeus on Iraq

General Petraeus on Iraq

PostBy: spc On: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:56 pm

“We are going after al Qaeda relentlessly wherever they are, and wherever we can find them, we put our teeth into their jugular,”
Greatest General since George Patton.
spc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: General Petraeus on Iraq

PostBy: stockingfull On: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:03 pm

I'm not a real student of generals, and I'm against the war, but I agree that he's done a great job. ( And he grew up about a mile from where I live.)
stockingfull
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Yellow Flame
Stove/Furnace Model: W.A. 150 Stoker Furnace

Re: General Petraeus on Iraq

PostBy: Richard S. On: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:30 pm

He's done great job so far, hopefully his success will continue.


How come Gernerals/Admirals always have cool names huh?

Powell, Schwartzkopf, MacArthur, Patton, Eisenhower, Marshall, Bradley, Nimitz , Halsey, Montgomery, Rommel, Zhukov...


Is it just me or do these names evoke a sense of power. Or is it the person behind the name.. :?
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite


Re: General Petraeus on Iraq

PostBy: pvolcko On: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:36 am

Of course they have great names, that's why they get promoted. That's why Gen. Clark didn't get anywhere in the 2004 election, name wasn't cool enough. :D Though he did have the coolest of the cool titles this world has to offer, Supreme Allied Commander. You just have to love the sound of that title. Current holder of that title: Gen. Craddock. Another good name, has the same hard consonant sounds like Clark, but he has the "Cr" combo in there to really sell it. Another good one, Gen. Alexander Haig. Have to say the Alexander or else it doesn't have enough "omph". :)
pvolcko
 

Re: General Petraeus on Iraq

PostBy: daveuz On: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:42 am

Richard S. wrote:He's done great job so far, hopefully his success will continue.


How come Gernerals/Admirals always have cool names huh?

Powell, Schwartzkopf, MacArthur, Patton, Eisenhower, Marshall, Bradley, Nimitz , Halsey, Montgomery, Rommel, Zhukov...


Is it just me or do these names evoke a sense of power. Or is it the person behind the name.. :?

Richard you are on to something here . Let me add to the great names: General Ulysses S. Grant and General Robert E Lee and let us not forget Stonewall Jackson.
daveuz
 

Re: General Petraeus on Iraq

PostBy: Richard S. On: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:07 am

pvolcko wrote: Have to say the Alexander or else it doesn't have enough "omph". :)


Yea, you add the Omar to Bradley it gives it more omph too. say it out loud, Omar Bradley... it just sounds tough. :lol:
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: General Petraeus on Iraq

PostBy: Charlie Z On: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:16 am

Is he talking about Iraq or Afghanistan? Queda didn't exist in Iraq before we whacked Saddam.

If we had more results than a 'stabilizing' situation and Bin Laden in the bag, I'd feel better with ranking Patraeus.

He has great 'situational awareness', capacity and energy. He also has the right education and background and has surrounded himself with the best military men we have. The right guy in the right place.

He's been given one tough job and seems to have made progress - but his task in no way compares to any of the generals mentioned above. He hasn't had the tests they had and you only get so many points for what amounts (historically) to an expensive police action.
Charlie Z
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Coalbrookdale
Stove/Furnace Model: Darby

Re: General Petraeus on Iraq

PostBy: ken On: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:57 am

in iraq , as long as that sader clan keeps the quiet everything is cool. they gave 6 more months for staying out of *censored*. thats why it's so quiet there. we will see how things go after 6 months.
ken
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker - Rice Coal
Stove/Furnace Model: 75K - Bay Window - Direct Vent

Re: General Petraeus on Iraq

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:56 pm

daveuz wrote:
Richard S. wrote:He's done great job so far, hopefully his success will continue.


How come Gernerals/Admirals always have cool names huh?

Powell, Schwartzkopf, MacArthur, Patton, Eisenhower, Marshall, Bradley, Nimitz , Halsey, Montgomery, Rommel, Zhukov...


Is it just me or do these names evoke a sense of power. Or is it the person behind the name.. :?

Richard you are on to something here . Let me add to the great names: General Ulysses S. Grant and General Robert E Lee and let us not forget Stonewall Jackson.


The one we won't forget is Hooker. :)
coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Re: General Petraeus on Iraq

PostBy: spc On: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:16 pm

Treason. :x
"Are Iraqi Insurgents Emboldened by Antiwar Reporting?
In periods immediately after a spike in "antiresolve" statements in the American media, the level of insurgent attacks increases between 7 and 10 percent."
http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/ira ... rting.html
spc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: General Petraeus on Iraq

PostBy: Devil505 On: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:43 pm

spc wrote:Treason. :x
"Are Iraqi Insurgents Emboldened by Antiwar Reporting?
In periods immediately after a spike in "antiresolve" statements in the American media, the level of insurgent attacks increases between 7 and 10 percent."
http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/ira ... rting.html



Do you know how dangerous to a free society what you/'re advocating is? We shouldn't even discuss the possibility that what this administration is doing is wrong because that very discussion iself gives aid & comfort to the enemy?!? Man.......That's Nazi Germany or Stalin's Russia kinda thought!!

If you really believe that, then perhaps you would be happier living in a totalitarian state like North Korea because that kinda thinking has no place in any Democracy!
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: General Petraeus on Iraq

PostBy: spc On: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:28 pm

Devil5052 wrote:
spc wrote:Treason. :x
"Are Iraqi Insurgents Emboldened by Antiwar Reporting?
In periods immediately after a spike in "antiresolve" statements in the American media, the level of insurgent attacks increases between 7 and 10 percent."
http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/ira ... rting.html



Do you know how dangerous to a free society what you/'re advocating is? We shouldn't even discuss the possibility that what this administration is doing is wrong because that gives aid & comfort to the enemy?!? Man.......That's Nazi Germany or
Stalin's Russia kinda thought!!

If you really believe that, then perhaps you would be happier living in a totalitarian state like North Korea because that kinda thinking has no place in any Democracy!

Lets start with the NYT running 32 successive front page articles on Abu Ghraib prison
or this "If You Were a Terrorist, How Would You Attack?"
http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... ou-attack/

Please read this whole article.
http://counterterrorismblog.org/2007/08 ... adists.php

Another good article by LTC Tim Ryan is Commander, Task Force 2-12 Cavalry, First Cavalry Division in Iraq.
http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribun ... 55557.html
Last edited by spc on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: General Petraeus on Iraq

PostBy: Charlie Z On: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:32 pm

You don't think Abu Ghraib is an embarrassment to the concept of due process and justice?
My God, when is torture acceptable to Americans? It's absolutely un-American.
Charlie Z
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Coalbrookdale
Stove/Furnace Model: Darby

Re: General Petraeus on Iraq

PostBy: spc On: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:41 pm

Charlie Z wrote:You don't think Abu Ghraib is an embarrassment to the concept of due process and justice?
My God, when is torture acceptable to Americans? It's absolutely un-American.

I'm not saying don't report it but 32 successive articles (that means every day) for 32 days on their front page?
Last edited by spc on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: General Petraeus on Iraq

PostBy: Devil505 On: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:48 pm

[quote="spcPlease read this whole article.


There are articles available to be read on any side of a debate in a free society. I guess you feel that only the Official State Sanctioned views should be available & that is the very defintion of Un-American!
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000