Does President Bush's Endorsment Help Or Hurt McCain?

Re: Does President Bush's Endorsment Help Or Hurt McCain?

PostBy: stockingfull On: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:27 pm

coalkirk wrote:You are awfully quick to whine about name calling. You think maybe you could refer to the president, vice president and presidential candidates without your gutter mouth double meaning cutsie names? I "get it" that you hate them. If you can't respect the man, at least respect the office. I find it very offensive and its juvenile. And if you think it makes you sound cute and clever, it does not. It makes you sound like a crackpot. I hope saying "makes you sound like a crackpot" doesn't get me "time to think about." It's not like I called you a crackpot. Oh and the smilie with the tounge sticking out? Yea, that's getting old too.


Who whined about "name-calling?"

Look, we've got public figures here; we're not debating them personally, we're debating each other. You on the right love to refer to "liberals" derogatorily; there was even a suggestion earlier that "real men" would defend their families with guns, as opposed to something as quaint as a system of laws. Those attacks are far more personal, I would argue, than the grand tradition in our country -- in fact, dating to the most legendary publications of the Revolutionary Era -- of referring derogatorily to public figures. In fact, our constitutional freedom of speech depends upon our absolute right to speak derogatorily -- indeed, disrespectfully -- of office holders.

BTW, have you seen any references to "Slick Willie" here? Do you find them offensive? Shouldn't Congress and the press have been more "respectful" or "deferential" of President Clinton's private life, or the "office" of the Presidency, back in 1998? How about Al Gore? Or Jimmy Carter? Both Nobel Peace Prize winners. Don't they deserve our "deference" and "respect?"

So far as I am aware, I have not attacked anybody personally here. I have disagreed with what people have written, and they with what I have written. If my language in writing about political leaders disturbs you, you may wish to consider that the language which often is used to describe other political leaders or schools of political thought is also disrespectful and disturbing to me. I, however, have not "whined" about that. The idea is to think critically about what's going on all around us. The description of critical thought often involves critical language.

I understand your point that I should be more "respectful" of certain office-holders whom you believe are entitled to that. I respectfully disagree with your position. I think you should lighten up; nobody's forcing you to read this thread, nor am I or is anybody else, so far as I know, trying to censor the language you use about public political figures, like, oh, for example, "Barack Hussein Obama" or "Billary" or "Hillbilly."

So, it's absolutely nothing personal, but :P
Last edited by stockingfull on Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stockingfull
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Yellow Flame
Stove/Furnace Model: W.A. 150 Stoker Furnace

Re: Does President Bush's Endorsment Help Or Hurt McCain?

PostBy: Devil505 On: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:30 pm

spc wrote:
Devil5052 wrote:This is the actual transcript b4 SPC changed some of Bennet's words! :D

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/ ... om.01.html

You guy's are really grabbing at straws. :lol:
I accept your apology.



It was a joke :lol: :lol:
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Does President Bush's Endorsment Help Or Hurt McCain?

PostBy: Devil505 On: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:39 pm

stockingfull wrote:
coalkirk wrote:You are awfully quick to whine about name calling. You think maybe you could refer to the president, vice president and presidential candidates without your gutter mouth double meaning cutsie names? I "get it" that you hate them. If you can't respect the man, at least respect the office. I find it very offensive and its juvenile. And if you think it makes you sound cute and clever, it does not. It makes you sound like a crackpot. I hope saying "makes you sound like a crackpot" doesn't get me "time to think about." It's not like I called you a crackpot. Oh and the smilie with the tounge sticking out? Yea, that's getting old too.


Who whined about "name-calling?"





LOL.....Been waiting almost a year to be able to say this:

Calm down boys!!........ Let's keep the arguments civil & not resort to personal attacks!
(Can't believe I'm actualy on the outside of one of these tiffs! :D )
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000


Re: Does President Bush's Endorsment Help Or Hurt McCain?

PostBy: stockingfull On: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:48 pm

stockingfull
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Yellow Flame
Stove/Furnace Model: W.A. 150 Stoker Furnace

Re: Does President Bush's Endorsment Help Or Hurt McCain?

PostBy: spc On: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:00 pm

stockingfull wrote:BTW, about that 3 AM phone call...

http://www.salon.com/2008/03/06/commander_in_chief_2/

:jawdrop:
McCain screamed "*censored* you!" I love it. Notice the author using the word "screamed". Come on.
"salon.com" And you question my sources. :wtf: Keep digging.
spc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: Does President Bush's Endorsment Help Or Hurt McCain?

PostBy: stockingfull On: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:11 pm

spc wrote:McCain screamed "*censored* you!" I love it. Notice the author using the word "screamed". Come on.
"salon.com" And you question my sources. :wtf: Keep digging.



Of course he couldn't have "screamed": "f*@k you"; nobody ever does that, right? :roll:

The article is full of quotes. Do you dispute any of them? :smoke:
stockingfull
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Yellow Flame
Stove/Furnace Model: W.A. 150 Stoker Furnace

Re: Does President Bush's Endorsment Help Or Hurt McCain?

PostBy: spc On: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:29 pm

stockingfull wrote: The article is full of quotes. Do you dispute any of them? :smoke:
No at all:
retired Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton, campaigning for Clinton.
retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Scott Gration, who is supporting Obama.
Stephen Wayne, a political science professor at Georgetown. Think he's a lefty?

Come on. Is there any bias? :no2:
spc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: Does President Bush's Endorsment Help Or Hurt McCain?

PostBy: stockingfull On: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:52 pm

Yeah, Maj. Gen. Eaton says: "I like McCain. I respect McCain. But I am a little worried by his knee-jerk response factor."

And you missed Gen. Merrill McPeak, a former Republican who said, "McCain has got a reputation for being a little volatile," and Retired Rear Adm. John Hutson, who has been a Republican his entire adult life, but who now supports Obama, and who put it this way about facing a national security crisis: "When everybody else goes nuts, the president of the United States needs to get cooler and cooler."

See? Lots of dyed-in-the-wool Republican military brass realize that sitting in the Oval Office isn't the same as sitting in the fighter.

Good for them, right? :P
stockingfull
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Yellow Flame
Stove/Furnace Model: W.A. 150 Stoker Furnace

Re: Does President Bush's Endorsment Help Or Hurt McCain?

PostBy: Devil505 On: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:32 am

stockingfull wrote:
coalkirk wrote:You are awfully quick to whine about name calling. You think maybe you could refer to the president, vice president and presidential candidates without your gutter mouth double meaning cutsie names? I "get it" that you hate them. If you can't respect the man, at least respect the office. I find it very offensive and its juvenile. And if you think it makes you sound cute and clever, it does not. It makes you sound like a crackpot. I hope saying "makes you sound like a crackpot" doesn't get me "time to think about." It's not like I called you a crackpot. Oh and the smilie with the tounge sticking out? Yea, that's getting old too.


Who whined about "name-calling?"

Look, we've got public figures here; we're not debating them personally, we're debating each other. You on the right love to refer to "liberals" derogatorily; there was even a suggestion earlier that "real men" would defend their families with guns, as opposed to something as quaint as a system of laws. Those attacks are far more personal, I would argue, than the grand tradition in our country -- in fact, dating to the most legendary publications of the Revolutionary Era -- of referring derogatorily to public figures. In fact, our constitutional freedom of speech depends upon our absolute right to speak derogatorily -- indeed, disrespectfully -- of office holders.

BTW, have you seen any references to "Slick Willie" here? Do you find them offensive? Shouldn't Congress and the press have been more "respectful" or "deferential" of President Clinton's private life, or the "office" of the Presidency, back in 1998? How about Al Gore? Or Jimmy Carter? Both Nobel Peace Prize winners. Don't they deserve our "deference" and "respect?"

So far as I am aware, I have not attacked anybody personally here. I have disagreed with what people have written, and they with what I have written. If my language in writing about political leaders disturbs you, you may wish to consider that the language which often is used to describe other political leaders or schools of political thought is also disrespectful and disturbing to me. I, however, have not "whined" about that. The idea is to think critically about what's going on all around us. The description of critical thought often involves critical language.

I understand your point that I should be more "respectful" of certain office-holders whom you believe are entitled to that. I respectfully disagree with your position. I think you should lighten up; nobody's forcing you to read this thread, nor am I or is anybody else, so far as I know, trying to censor the language you use about public political figures, like, oh, for example, "Barack Hussein Obama" or "Billary" or "Hillbilly."

So, it's absolutely nothing personal, but :P






Gotta agree with Stockingfull here. I have heard many more derogatory names used against Democrats on this forum than ever used against the current Pres & VP, & that is really fine. As far as showing respect for the "office" of President & VP I feel that if the persons sitting in these offices bring shame upon them, as in the present case, that they ( Bush & Cheney) do no deserve the right to hide their shameful activity behind the name of the office itself & deserve to be called out. (pretty ungramatical sentance,. but you get my point ;) )
Words cannot adequitly convey my loathing of the current President & VP, but that has nothing to do with my patriotism & love of my country. George W. Bush & Dick Cheney do not embody United States of America, but are disgraceful aberrations to their offices in my opinion, & deserve nothing but my contempt, loathing & hopefully...long prison terms!
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Does President Bush's Endorsment Help Or Hurt McCain?

PostBy: spc On: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:47 am

stockingfull wrote:Yeah, Maj. Gen. Eaton says: "I like McCain. I respect McCain. But I am a little worried by his knee-jerk response factor."

And you missed Gen. Merrill McPeak, a former Republican who said, "McCain has got a reputation for being a little volatile," and Retired Rear Adm. John Hutson, who has been a Republican his entire adult life, but who now supports Obama, and who put it this way about facing a national security crisis: "When everybody else goes nuts, the president of the United States needs to get cooler and cooler."

See? Lots of dyed-in-the-wool Republican military brass realize that sitting in the Oval Office isn't the same as sitting in the fighter.

Good for them, right? :P
I'm going to give you a little advice. When you are out trying to convince people to vote for B Hussein Obama don't bring up this McCain argument, it won't fly. In fact you should not use these words or phrases, military, war, terror, foreign policy, foreign intelligence, Islam (big no no), platoon :D , POW, fighter pilot, lapel pin, American flag. Phrases to use: feel good, feeling running up my leg, :rofl: I guess anything that has the words "feel, feeling or felt" are good. :roll:
Last edited by spc on Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
spc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: Does President Bush's Endorsment Help Or Hurt McCain?

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:59 am

McCain won't need anybody's endorsement if Al Qaida kills 100-1000 Americans a few days before the election. It will be a landslide.
coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Re: Does President Bush's Endorsment Help Or Hurt McCain?

PostBy: coalkirk On: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:36 am

Devil5052 wrote: Gotta agree with Stockingfull here. I have heard many more derogatory names used against Democrats on this forum than ever used against the current Pres & VP, & that is really fine. As far as showing respect for the "office" of President & VP I feel that if the persons sitting in these offices bring shame upon them, as in the present case, that they ( Bush & Cheney) do no deserve the right to hide their shameful activity behind the name of the office itself & deserve to be called out. (pretty ungramatical sentance,. but you get my point ;) )
Words cannot adequitly convey my loathing of the current President & VP, but that has nothing to do with my patriotism & love of my country. George W. Bush & Dick Cheney do not embody United States of America, but are disgraceful aberrations to their offices in my opinion, & deserve nothing but my contempt, loathing & hopefully...long prison terms!


Don't worry about the inadequacy of your words, your loathing is coming through loud and clear. :D
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: Does President Bush's Endorsment Help Or Hurt McCain?

PostBy: stockingfull On: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:21 am

spc wrote:I'm going to give you a little advice. When you are out trying to convince people to vote for B Hussein Obama don't bring up this McCain argument, it won't fly. In fact you should not use these words or phrases, military, war, terror, foreign policy, foreign intelligence, Islam (big no no), platoon :D , POW, fighter pilot, lapel pin, American flag. Phrases to use: feel good, feeling running up my leg, :rofl: I guess anything that has the words "feel, feeling or felt" are good. :roll:


Thanks for your "advice." Maybe I'll heed it; maybe I won't need it.

Because, "my dear friends," there's a new descriptor which we may be hearing more of with respect to the Honorable Senator John Sidney McCain, III, (in addition to his 5th-from-the-bottom class-standing at Annapolis) and that is PTSD.

http://www.usvetdsp.com/dec07/mccain_suicide_ptsd.htm

During McCain's 1999 presidential campaign, he carefully controlled the release of some "redacted medical records" in what appeared to be an effort to counter discussions of whether McCain's legendary "short fuse" temperament makes him unfit to serve as president and commander in chief of the military. His campaign did not allow any pages to be photocopied and selectively picked news organizations to examine the records.

The 1999 campaign released a statement by Dr. Michael M. Ambrose, director of the Robert E. Mitchell Center for Prisoner of War Studies, that said: ''Senator McCain has never been diagnosed with or treated at the center for a psychological or psychiatric disorder. He has been subject to an extensive battery of psychological tests and following his last examination in 1993, we judged him to be in good physical and mental health.''


Nothing quite like having that 3 AM phone call answered by somebody who's a borderline mental case.

And, before you all question my "bias" on the above link, check out the bumper sticker at the bottom of the link page, and the B. Hussein Obama photo on the left. These guys are your real, manly hand-fired stove burning, gun-totin', Duncan Hunter-supporting he-men. :rambo:

But no worry, PTSD's just a phony excuse that sissies use, right? That's what Patton said, right? :roll:
stockingfull
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Yellow Flame
Stove/Furnace Model: W.A. 150 Stoker Furnace

Re: Does President Bush's Endorsment Help Or Hurt McCain?

PostBy: stockingfull On: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:44 am

Thought you'd like that link. 8-)

Here's more from it:

Early in 2007, columnist Sidney Blumenthal, who once served as a senior adviser to President Bill Clinton, questioned if McCain's "volatile temper" might derail his bid to be President.

Blumenthal wrote that the senator's temper sometimes surfaces in the form of obscenities: "McCain's political colleagues, however, know another side of the action hero -- a volatile man with a hair-trigger temper, who shouted at Sen. Ted Kennedy on the Senate floor to 'shut up,' called his fellow Republican senators 's#!thead,' 'f******* jerque,' 'a**hole,' and joked in 1998 at a Republican fundraiser about the teenage daughter of President Clinton, 'Do you know why Chelsea Clinton is so ugly? Because Janet Reno is her father.'"

Regardless of all the obvious signs pointing to McCain's PTSD, the one outstanding fact is that McCain, by his own admission, broke under the stress of captivity and tried to kill himself.

National columnists and pundits have, so far, given McCain a "free pass" on the attempted suicide. Would the other presidential candidates be treated with the same indifference if they had an attempted suicide in their biographies?


:taz:
stockingfull
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Yellow Flame
Stove/Furnace Model: W.A. 150 Stoker Furnace

Re: Does President Bush's Endorsment Help Or Hurt McCain?

PostBy: spc On: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:24 pm

stockingfull wrote:National columnists and pundits have, so far, given McCain a "free pass"
Maybe because they think it will blow up in their faces as it is doing in yours. :blowup:
spc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer