Flatrscreen TV Lift Ideas

Re: Flatrscreen TV Lift Ideas

PostBy: Dallas On: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:08 am

Devil5052 wrote:Just thought of somehow using those gas storm door closers, somehow. (I want the mechanism to have a failsafe mechanism that will not just drop th TV like a stone!) I could connect 2 door closers to a TV holder but tbhen I have to figure a way to keep the TV up without sliding those washers up to hold it....


Some of the air shocks used to hold up SUV trunk lids would do the job. You'd need one (at lease) on each side.
Dallas
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air
Stove/Furnace Make: Russo
Stove/Furnace Model: Modified C-35

Re: Flatrscreen TV Lift Ideas

PostBy: WNY On: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:37 am

Be careful with the Hood Lift Struts, they may be TOO powerful for a small project. It might go up and you may no be able to put it back down. I like the Door closer Idea, nice and smooth and adjustable

You could mount it to a couple of draw slides and hook a cantilever system bracket system to the shock to change the required up/down force pressure required and maybe only one type of shock required.
WNY
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Re: Flatrscreen TV Lift Ideas

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:56 am

Dallas wrote:
Devil5052 wrote:Just thought of somehow using those gas storm door closers, somehow. (I want the mechanism to have a failsafe mechanism that will not just drop th TV like a stone!) I could connect 2 door closers to a TV holder but tbhen I have to figure a way to keep the TV up without sliding those washers up to hold it....


Some of the air shocks used to hold up SUV trunk lids would do the job. You'd need one (at lease) on each side.


The struts are too powerful. On the test run the flatscreen may end up firmly inserted into the kitchen ceiling. :D
Matt's idea sounds good.
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert


Re: Flatrscreen TV Lift Ideas

PostBy: Dallas On: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:02 am

There are "weaker" struts available. My diamond plate aluminum toolbox has two of them on the lid.
Dallas
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air
Stove/Furnace Make: Russo
Stove/Furnace Model: Modified C-35

Re: Flatrscreen TV Lift Ideas

PostBy: cheapheat On: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:12 am

I used to work for a 12volt car audio distributor and we sold linear actuators to the custom car builders. They would use them for Hidden tv lifts or amplifier racks and subwoofers. Im gonna check with my friend who still owns the business about who still supplies actuators, but a search for linear actuators turned up racointernational.com . They probably have just what you want if you go that route. Jim
cheapheat
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska Channing 3
Stove/Furnace Model: Bagging my own rice coal

Re: Flatrscreen TV Lift Ideas

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:14 am

Dallas wrote:There are "weaker" struts available. My diamond plate aluminum toolbox has two of them on the lid.


Good idea, I didn't realize that they were available. I'm still in favor of the motorized screw type of lift, preferable with a wireless remote. That was the screen could be lowered and raised without any pushing or pulling, and it could be done from across the room. Would really impress guests. I'd wait until the cat is on top of it before hitting the button on the remote.
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Re: Flatrscreen TV Lift Ideas

PostBy: Devil505 On: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:41 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:
Dallas wrote:There are "weaker" struts available. My diamond plate aluminum toolbox has two of them on the lid.


Good idea, I didn't realize that they were available. I'm still in favor of the motorized screw type of lift, preferable with a wireless remote. That was the screen could be lowered and raised without any pushing or pulling, and it could be done from across the room. Would really impress guests. I'd wait until the cat is on top of it before hitting the button on the remote.



Screw type lift sounds good! Any specifics?
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Flatrscreen TV Lift Ideas

PostBy: Dallas On: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:00 pm

There are electric car scissor jacks http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?PIN=38789&SC=WIF10001& , however they are D.C. voltage.
However you could use a converter. Also, you could hook it to your programmable thermostat, so that when the heat goes down, so does the TV. :lol:

The other option would be the gear box and worm from a stoker. :arrow: You're on your own. ;)
Dallas
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air
Stove/Furnace Make: Russo
Stove/Furnace Model: Modified C-35

Re: Flatrscreen TV Lift Ideas

PostBy: Devil505 On: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:27 pm

Dallas wrote:There are electric car scissor jacks http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?PIN=38789&SC=WIF10001& , however they are D.C. voltage.
However you could use a converter. Also, you could hook it to your programmable thermostat, so that when the heat goes down, so does the TV. :lol:

The other option would be the gear box and worm from a stoker. :arrow: You're on your own. ;)



I like it!! (Have to see how much travel it'll do...Figure I'll need at least a cpl of feet)
Thanks!
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Flatrscreen TV Lift Ideas

PostBy: tvb On: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Pulleys and counterweights ala a manual dumbwaiter http://www.ehow.com/how_2100432_build-dumbwaiter.html

I like that the link above suggests putting springs on the bottom in case of a too fast down motion.

I wonder if that would work for bringing up coal from the basement....hmmmmm.
tvb
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: Flatrscreen TV Lift Ideas

PostBy: Dallas On: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:50 pm

Dallas
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air
Stove/Furnace Make: Russo
Stove/Furnace Model: Modified C-35

Re: Flatrscreen TV Lift Ideas

PostBy: Adamiscold On: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:01 am

Here are a few sites that sell them. Maybe a couple of their PDF files will help give you some ideas?


http://www.auton.com/category_page_lift.asp?ID=1
This link is broken, either the page no longer exists or there is some other issue like a typo.


http://www.mk1studio.com/www.mk1studio.com/Welcome.html

http://www.firgelliauto.com/ <- some parts for making your own.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=914194 <-- this guy made his own, very cool :o AVS Forums are a great site, very informative guys on high tech gear.



http://www.liftmytv.com/ They have some lifts, of course there is no pricing on their web site :(

I guess any type of lift would you wouldn't want to skimp on, just like you wouldn't want a cheap hanger holding you TV on the wall.
Adamiscold
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Chubby Sr. Old School

Re: Flatrscreen TV Lift Ideas

PostBy: traderfjp On: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:09 am

Can you post some pics where you want this to go?
traderfjp
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing 3

Re: Flatrscreen TV Lift Ideas

PostBy: Devil505 On: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:05 am

Here you go trader:

Pics of the front & back of the divider which was a 2x3 partition wall between the kitchen & living room that I cut down. I would want the tv (pic attached) a 17" lcd & only a few inches thick, to pop-up out of the divier just to the right of the red flower on the ledge. The back side is the kitchen & I have a few inches to play with as far as making the wall cavity thick enough to hold the TV & the lift mechanism. I would want the tv to be able to swivel (when raised) to be able to watch it from the living room or the kitchen. ( the new cherry hardwood floor I struggled to install last week came out pretty good, if I do have to say so myself! :D )
Attachments
DSCF0001.JPG
(156.6 KiB) Viewed 38 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]3680[/nepathumb]
DSCF0004.JPG
(155.89 KiB) Viewed 28 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]3681[/nepathumb]
DSCF0005.JPG
(162.84 KiB) Viewed 23 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]3682[/nepathumb]
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Flatrscreen TV Lift Ideas

PostBy: Dallas On: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:32 am

Personally, I wouldn't rip and tear on that finished wall. I'd consider making or obtaining a hanging device, which might allow it to "fip-up" for storage, against the kitchen ceiling. Look for options. KISS
Dallas
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air
Stove/Furnace Make: Russo
Stove/Furnace Model: Modified C-35