samhill wrote:Not knowing all the particulars but in NSs case it could well be what is in the flux used on the rod than metal itself. I recall years ago Lincoln Electrodes changed the compounds used in the flux in (I believe) it was the 6018 rods which we used literally tons of. At that time it was more the fumes that caused concern but a good welded looses very little molten metal, it's the flux burning off that cause most of the problem & knowing what type of welding is required in what NS does that's more likely than a metal burn.
I asked this question as well, though I was more concerned with the weldable primer that is used to keep the steel from rusting more than I was the filler metal itself. Either way it is a moot point because bacteria cannot survive at elevated temperatures and molten metal would indicate it well exceeded that the Doctor said.
I believe in this case it might have been the welding gear I had on that did it. It was critical welding (the rudder) and be laid on its side on pylons with blanket heaters keeping the thick steel to a constant 350 degrees. The areas requiring welding were also very hard to access, some as small as 6" by 12" leaving my only approach to weld it from the bottom where sparks and slag were landing on me. I was well protected; not only wearing a fire resistant coveralls, but a full leather jacket and a nomex hood leaving just my face exposed. This of course was covered by my welding hood and safety glasses. Well protected, but as I moved, sparks inevitably found chinks in the armor and migrated to my elbows. With the temps that week nearing 90 degrees, and steel at 350 degrees, it was like welding in an oven. I was drenched in sweat and am pretty sure that sweat drenched clothes contributed to the cause of introducing bacteria to some deep burns.