coalstoves wrote:Not that I would ever advocate not using a CO detector, but you do know that for many years the human race survived without them and yes they even burned Coal and the local papers never needed extra space to list all the dead folks from CO poisoning amazing isn't it that people could use their brains and common sense instead of a battery operated gadget with a microprocessor .
So do you think 'Smoke detectors' are just a 'battery opperated gadget with microprocessor' ?? The newspapers today, as well as in the past often have whole pages about people dying from fires in their homes... which could have been avoided by having operational smoke detectors....
Yes as Gambler stated those houses were not well sealed, used kerosene lamps and candles for lighting.. and electricity was rare...if available at all, this depends on where and when you are refering to.
The stoves sold by LeisureLine and all stoker stoves require electricity.. whether hooked to a chimney or to a powervent. If the electricity fails, the combustion blower goes out, and the combustion of the coal quickly fails, the CO is eliminated. The quantity of coal is pretty small, usually about a double-handfull... However, in a hand feed stove, there is a bucketfull or two of coal burning, and it will produce a LOT more CO before the fire is out.
Actually the papers often had deaths described as from 'coal gas' , a 'blocked chimney' or similar explaination that today would be described as Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
IT really doesn't have much to do with common sense... or using their brains... I'm sure if people back before electricity could have some form of inexpensive alarm, say an animal that made a real racket if the air got too foul to breath, then that 'alarm system' would have been common, like the canary in the mines... But you would need an 'alarm animal' that would make enough noise to wake you from a sound sleep to be effective...