I'm tired of Winter & I'm tired of Shaking

I'm tired of Winter & I'm tired of Shaking

PostBy: Cap On: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:17 pm

Hello List--

I'm down to my last few lbs. of coal and I just can't wait to close up for the season. I'm flat out tired of dealing with the heavy ash and the dust from this last batch. :mad: I'm flat out tired of winter too and want to get on with long days outside either working or playing. :D

I think I am ready to go stoker next year just so I do not have to shake out the crud two x a day. It use to be a hobby for me, now it's become too much to deal with everyday. And too darn dusty. I realize I can be more careful but I ain't got all day to wait for the dust to settle prior to taking out the waste.

So if anyone wants to make me a reasonable offer for a 3 yr old Harman SF250, by all means, shout my way. I'll also be looking for a large stoker capable of 100k btu's. I've always liked the Harman's best so A Harman Mag might be in my future although it could be a tad small to heat 3 floors. I think it could do it based on the fact I almost never have to ramp up the current SF 250 cooker much past 50% output.
Cap
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator

Re: I'm tired of Winter & I'm tired of Shaking

PostBy: coal berner On: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Cap wrote:Hello List--

I'm down to my last few lbs. of coal and I just can't wait to close up for the season. I'm flat out tired of dealing with the heavy ash and the dust from this last batch. :mad: I'm flat out tired of winter too and want to get on with long days outside either working or playing. :D

I think I am ready to go stoker next year just so I do not have to shake out the crud two x a day. It use to be a hobby for me, now it's become too much to deal with everyday. And too darn dusty. I realize I can be more careful but I ain't got all day to wait for the dust to settle prior to taking out the waste.

So if anyone wants to make me a reasonable offer for a 3 yr old Harman SF250, by all means, shout my way. I'll also be looking for a large stoker capable of 100k btu's. I've always liked the Harman's best so A Harman Mag might be in my future although it could be a tad small to heat 3 floors. I think it could do it based on the fact I almost never have to ramp up the current SF 250 cooker much past 50% output.
Well Cap if you would of drove 15 more miles you would of got
the good stuff :P
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: I'm tired of Winter & I'm tired of Shaking

PostBy: coalkirk On: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:45 am

Cap wrote:Hello List--

I'm down to my last few lbs. of coal and I just can't wait to close up for the season. I'm flat out tired of dealing with the heavy ash and the dust from this last batch. :mad: I'm flat out tired of winter too and want to get on with long days outside either working or playing. :D

I think I am ready to go stoker next year just so I do not have to shake out the crud two x a day. It use to be a hobby for me, now it's become too much to deal with everyday. And too darn dusty. I realize I can be more careful but I ain't got all day to wait for the dust to settle prior to taking out the waste.

So if anyone wants to make me a reasonable offer for a 3 yr old Harman SF250, by all means, shout my way. I'll also be looking for a large stoker capable of 100k btu's. I've always liked the Harman's best so A Harman Mag might be in my future although it could be a tad small to heat 3 floors. I think it could do it based on the fact I almost never have to ramp up the current SF 250 cooker much past 50% output.


Welcome to the "girlyman" side. It's like learning to walk upright without dragging knuckles. :lol:
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: I'm tired of Winter & I'm tired of Shaking

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:35 am

coalkirk wrote:Welcome to the "girlyman" side. It's like learning to walk upright without dragging knuckles. :lol:


Exactly what are you incinerating here? :evil: (misspelling intentional.)
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Re: I'm tired of Winter & I'm tired of Shaking

PostBy: coalkirk On: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:43 am

Don't shoot! :surrender: It's just that going from a hand fired to a stoker is alot like the invention of the wheel. It's a natural evolution. For the record, I use a hand fired jotul in my outbuilding workshop/hide out. I've always been slightly insulted (not really) with the girlyman label on the stoker users. I shovel 250# at a time and carry out a large heavy ashpan and get tagged as a girlyman. From what I've seen, the hand fired guys carry a hod of maybe 25# and an ash pan that looks more like my cats litter box. :lol: :lol:
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: I'm tired of Winter & I'm tired of Shaking

PostBy: LsFarm On: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:17 am

I know what you mean coalkirk, my hopper holds 1500# of coal,, that needs filling weekly,, that's over forty five gallon buckets of coal, scouped, carried and dumped into the hopper...

And my ashpans, are 12" deep, and 22"x22",, if I let them get near to full.. they are like 60#... that's usually every two days.. so I make a habit of emptying them daily...

I don't want to meet the 'girl' that can do my 'girlie-man' jobs with my boiler.. She'd be pretty scary !! A Russian female weightlifter maybe??

Greg
LsFarm
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Re: I'm tired of Winter & I'm tired of Shaking

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:44 pm

coalkirk wrote:Don't shoot! :surrender: It's just that going from a hand fired to a stoker is alot like the invention of the wheel. It's a natural evolution. For the record, I use a hand fired jotul in my outbuilding workshop/hide out. I've always been slightly insulted (not really) with the girlyman label on the stoker users. I shovel 250# at a time and carry out a large heavy ashpan and get tagged as a girlyman. From what I've seen, the hand fired guys carry a hod of maybe 25# and an ash pan that looks more like my cats litter box. :lol: :lol:


Don't panic, I'm only kidding.
I can see your point. I shoveled coal all weekend for both stoves.
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Re: I'm tired of Winter & I'm tired of Shaking

PostBy: Charlie Z On: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:50 pm

coalkirk wrote: From what I've seen, the hand fired guys carry a hod of maybe 25# and an ash pan that looks more like my cats litter box. :lol: :lol:


But, that's all we need...

Grok very happy with simple life.
Charlie Z
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Coalbrookdale
Stove/Furnace Model: Darby

Re: I'm tired of Winter & I'm tired of Shaking

PostBy: Mastiffman On: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:52 pm

I debated on letting it go out today, but they are calling for 38 overnight.

Every day that I shovel coal and carry out ashes I remember that I'm saving $35+ every day over oil, for maybe 20 minutes work, and suddenly I don't mind at all.

I'm already on thinking how to improve things for next season. I see a used hand fired boiler in my summer plans.

Steve
Mastiffman
 

Re: I'm tired of Winter & I'm tired of Shaking

PostBy: grizzly2 On: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:33 pm

Having just switched from a small woodstove burned 24/7 for 7-8 months a year, to a gravity fed hopper coal stove, I can't believe anyone could object to the work of tending a coal stove. I suppose we naturally get used to one thing then seek something even easier. To paraphrase the famous line from "Treasure of the Sierah Modre" "Stoker? We no need no stinkin' stoker!"

Signed,
A real manly man
:P
grizzly2
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30 - 95
Coal Size/Type: pea and nut/ anthracite
Other Heating: Jotul #3 wood stove in garage. Oil backup in house. Electric backup in house.

Visit Hitzer Stoves