Well life is full of compromises and as I noted in the hunt for an FEL thread I picked up a Deere 430 garden tractor with a loader and other implements - rear blade, rake, deck, vac system, snow blade. The most important accessory it came with was a tech service manual! While it is smaller than I wanted I think I can make it work short term at least and the price was right.
I had a chance to check it out last week and noticed a few things that need attention. Started by changing out the soft low pressure hydro lines that go to the front ports. They were cracked and spitting oil real bad. Simple pair of short sections of fuel line to run between the hard lines and no more leaks there. Next was to replace the worst of the hydro lines on the loader set up. A few were seeping real bad, and most are cracked badly on the outer cover. Found out the local NAPA builds hose / fittings had them make up 4 to see how competent they are. Replaced those 4 and no more seepage there. Will run these a little while before deciding whether to get the rest done there also.
Next it got interesting. I noticed a steady drip around the hydro filter and took off the fender pan to get a better look. The seal around the input shaft of the charge pump was leaking pretty steady. Started reading the manual on what is involved with replacing that...
Thought there may be a better / easier way and read quite a few JD forums. But all had a common theme....pull the rear back to get access to the shaft & seal.
I don't get in this deep often but apparently I have even less sense than fear of failure so I started taking a lot of pics and got on with the dis-assembly. After a couple evenings of carefully reading / re-reading and taking pics and figuring out a few things the manuals and forums didn't cover some progress was made.
I was finally able to roll out the rear assembly and get to the input shaft.
While taking the machine apart I noticed a couple simple hardware fixes that were needed and some things that needed to be straightened and cleaned up. So it was good to go through the process because I probably wouldn't have noticed those until they caused bigger issues.
Today I got the seal and O-Ring replaced and the charge pump back on. The actual replacement only took about 15 minutes compared to the hours and hours spent getting to that part!
I will start putting it back together today in stages and see if I find any other seepage back there to address while it is easier to get to.
Got some fuel line to replace as it goes back together. Probably new radiator hoses sometime as they are dried and cracked real bad too - Not leaking yet so its not next on the list.