Replaced glass and looking for guidance

Replaced glass and looking for guidance

PostBy: Seagrave1963 On: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:47 pm

Tried searching using several different words and could not find an answer (if there even is one!) - I recently replaced the glass on our Harman TLC2000 and was wondering if there is a recommended first burn method to "prep" the glass for full use. Is there such a thing as "curing" the glass?

Thanks for the input (or laughter :oops: )
Seagrave1963
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric heat pumps, propane fireplace

Re: Replaced glass and looking for guidance

PostBy: grumpy On: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:59 pm

That I don't know, but to play it safe heat it up slow and let it cool a few times before you take it to full heat.

Someone will chime in soon if I am wrong..
grumpy
 

Re: Replaced glass and looking for guidance

PostBy: McGiever On: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:00 pm

Go for it! And do report back your findings so we all may learn. ;)
McGiever
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Re: Replaced glass and looking for guidance

PostBy: lsayre On: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:10 pm

McGiever wrote:Go for it! And do report back your findings so we all may learn. ;)


It's not glass at all, it's ceramic. If it can't take massive loads of heat the very first time, then a lot of Russian and US space ships that survived re-entry over the past decades would not have done so. They simultaneously get a first/last shot at it.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Re: Replaced glass and looking for guidance

PostBy: Seagrave1963 On: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:35 am

lsayre wrote:
McGiever wrote:Go for it! And do report back your findings so we all may learn. ;)


It's not glass at all, it's ceramic. If it can't take massive loads of heat the very first time, then a lot of Russian and US space ships that survived re-entry over the past decades would not have done so. They simultaneously get a first/last shot at it.


Thanks Isayre - and I'll post the obligatory "first fire of the season" pic too!
Seagrave1963
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric heat pumps, propane fireplace

Re: Replaced glass and looking for guidance

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:26 am

Seagrave1963 wrote:
lsayre wrote:
It's not glass at all, it's ceramic. If it can't take massive loads of heat the very first time, then a lot of Russian and US space ships that survived re-entry over the past decades would not have done so. They simultaneously get a first/last shot at it.


Thanks Isayre - and I'll post the obligatory "first fire of the season" pic too!


We must first confirm that you did use high heat rated clear ceramic and not just a sheet of tempered glass though.

Robax, Pyroceram, and Neoceram are the three brand names to look for here. It looks like Pyroceram and Neoceram are the two best choices. The main difference between these two from a performance perspective comes down to the thickness. To avoid stress or leakage you must choose the same thickness as that which is being replaced.

Property .... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Pyroceram Glass® . . NeoCeram Glass® . . Robax Glass® . . Tempered Glass
Heat Resistance – Short Term . . .1472 degree F . . . . . 1472 degree F . . . . .1400 degree . . . . . . 572 degree F
Heat Resistance – Continuous . . .1382 degree F. . . . . .1382 degree F . . . . .1040 degree F .. . . . 482 degree F
Thicknesses Available . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1/8" . . . . . . . . . . . . .3/16" . . . . . . . . . . 1/8" and 3/16" .. . ... . .1/8" to ½"
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Re: Replaced glass and looking for guidance

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:00 am

If the glass is gasketed and held in with bolts, leave them a tad loose for a burn or two then snug slightly. Stress is what cracks it, so take it easy and let everything settle in slow.
coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Re: Replaced glass and looking for guidance

PostBy: Seagrave1963 On: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:56 pm

lsayre wrote:
We must first confirm that you did use high heat rated clear ceramic and not just a sheet of tempered glass though.

Robax, Pyroceram, and Neoceram are the three brand names to look for here. It looks like Pyroceram and Neoceram are the two best choices. The main difference between these two from a performance perspective comes down to the thickness. To avoid stress or leakage you must choose the same thickness as that which is being replaced.

Property .... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Pyroceram Glass® . . NeoCeram Glass® . . Robax Glass® . . Tempered Glass
Heat Resistance – Short Term . . .1472 degree F . . . . . 1472 degree F . . . . .1400 degree . . . . . . 572 degree F
Heat Resistance – Continuous . . .1382 degree F. . . . . .1382 degree F . . . . .1040 degree F .. . . . 482 degree F
Thicknesses Available . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1/8" . . . . . . . . . . . . .3/16" . . . . . . . . . . 1/8" and 3/16" .. . ... . .1/8" to ½"


I purchased an OEM replacement for the TLC from Mountain View Hearth Products (http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Ha ... -08214.htm) but don't know who Harman/AHS uses for their supplier.

Coaledsweat - will loosen a tad as suggested - Thanks for the tip!
Seagrave1963
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric heat pumps, propane fireplace