Quality of This Coal ?

Re: Quality of This Coal ?

PostBy: cntbill On: Mon. Nov. 07, 2016 4:45 am

Is there an suggested approximate time frame to break it up like after 15min or after an hour ? But I'm guessing there is a bit of variables so I'm going to have to find the sweet spot in time for myself.

But one other question concerning loading, once I have a decient bed of coals should I only do like half buckets at a time and break it up or just go for broke and fill it?
cntbill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A70/A90 at my sisters... EFM A-150 Project
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace


Re: Quality of This Coal ?

PostBy: corey On: Mon. Nov. 07, 2016 6:29 pm

I'd just bump up the amounts slowly till you get the hang of how it does.
corey
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: USS Ashley coal stove
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Re: Quality of This Coal ?

PostBy: Lightning On: Mon. Nov. 07, 2016 7:34 pm

cntbill wrote:Is there an suggested approximate time frame to break it up like after 15min or after an hour ? But I'm guessing there is a bit of variables so I'm going to have to find the sweet spot in time for myself.

But one other question concerning loading, once I have a decient bed of coals should I only do like half buckets at a time and break it up or just go for broke and fill it?


Wait longer to break up the mass, like a 2-3 hours maybe even 4 hours. Be careful putting a lot on at once, you could smother the fire and blow your stove up, er I mean a bitchin puff back lol.
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size

Re: Quality of This Coal ?

PostBy: Lightning On: Mon. Nov. 07, 2016 7:56 pm

I remember one time I put in whole bag of 40+ pounds on. It was like nut size with a lot of fines and once it caught fire it went totally out of control. There was nothing I could do to tame it. Whenever I tried to cut combustion air it would belch thick yellow smoke out of every opening on the stove. The temp over the load door shot like a rocket to nearly 600 degrees. This bit coal was very high volatile I think anyways. Scared the hell outta me. I was fully prepared to throw open the load door and shovel 80 pounds of ash on top of it. Good times..... Won't do that again hahaha.
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size

Re: Quality of This Coal ?

PostBy: corey On: Mon. Nov. 07, 2016 7:59 pm

The Warm Morning has flues built into the fire bricks in each corner. That will help a lot with preventing puff backs.
corey
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: USS Ashley coal stove
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Re: Quality of This Coal ?

PostBy: cntbill On: Mon. Nov. 07, 2016 10:44 pm

I think my mistake was just adding the coal little by little and I waited till after I had it full before I started breaking up those masses...

Lightning wrote:I remember one time I put in whole bag of 40+ pounds on. It was like nut size with a lot of fines and once it caught fire it went totally out of control. There was nothing I could do to tame it. Whenever I tried to cut combustion air it would belch thick yellow smoke out of every opening on the stove. The temp over the load door shot like a rocket to nearly 600 degrees. This bit coal was very high volatile I think anyways. Scared the hell outta me. I was fully prepared to throw open the load door and shovel 80 pounds of ash on top of it. Good times..... Won't do that again hahaha.


Yea the first time I had it going I think I added a bit too much and boy was it smoking out the chimney and was worried it would start smoking out the stove like yours, but guess I was lucky and very thankful all the smoke went up the pipe....

corey wrote:The Warm Morning has flues built into the fire bricks in each corner. That will help a lot with preventing puff backs.


Yea those little chimneys once they get going put out a nice flame !
cntbill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A70/A90 at my sisters... EFM A-150 Project
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace

Re: Quality of This Coal ?

PostBy: catpowrd On: Mon. Nov. 07, 2016 10:49 pm

Just be sure to bank the fire so you don't smother it. In my hand fire stove I only bust up the agglomerate every 8 hours when I reload 30+ pounds of stoker size bit. I just break it up, shake down the ash, drag the burning coke to the front and reload in the back 2/3 of stove, then repeat in 8 hours. 12 or 24 hours when it is warmer.
catpowrd
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Royall
Stove/Furnace Model: 5250

Re: Quality of This Coal ?

PostBy: cntbill On: Tue. Nov. 08, 2016 4:12 am

catpowrd wrote:Just be sure to bank the fire so you don't smother it. In my hand fire stove I only bust up the agglomerate every 8 hours when I reload 30+ pounds of stoker size bit. I just break it up, shake down the ash, drag the burning coke to the front and reload in the back 2/3 of stove, then repeat in 8 hours. 12 or 24 hours when it is warmer.


So your going at least 8 hours till you bust up on 30 lbs, interesting. Yea I read in thread with a link to google books article on 3 types of banking... This stuff really burns hot so I need to take it slow until I get it figured out...
cntbill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A70/A90 at my sisters... EFM A-150 Project
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace


Re: Quality of This Coal ?

PostBy: cntbill On: Mon. Nov. 21, 2016 9:56 pm

SWPaDon wrote:You can expect heat, ash , smoke and soot from the coal.


Well the Warm Morning has done a good job with this coal. All the advice has been spot on, what I found to work the best after adding the coal let it go from 8-12 hrs break it up then add coal and repeat. While I am happy with this coal and the heat it put out, the neighbors not so much :cry: While it only smoked noticeably for about 15-20 and died down to just a wisp, it was more the smell where I got a couple of complaints. Not that I care That Much what my neighbors think I still don't want to create friction. I was even trying to do my adding of coal at night so no one would see the smoke, but still had the unique odor.

So anyone interested in about at least 6 Tons of Bituminous Coal ? I'd consider just one ton of Anthracite, pea or nut to help offset my fuel cost picking up all this coal :help: um, you would need to pick it up
cntbill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A70/A90 at my sisters... EFM A-150 Project
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace

Re: Quality of This Coal ?

PostBy: SWPaDon On: Tue. Nov. 22, 2016 7:29 am

Sorry to hear of the bit coal/neighbor problems, it seemed to be working well as far as heating goes. Too bad I'm not closer, I would take it off your hands.
SWPaDon
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace