My 2016-2017 heating thread

Re: My 2016-2017 heating thread

PostBy: Lightning On: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:42 pm

corey wrote:I cook myself out with stoker size coal. Not to mention almost blowing the stove up. All is well tho. :blowup:


Yep be careful not to smother with the small stuff. I've had a couple scary moments with small bit coal lol.
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size


Re: My 2016-2017 heating thread

PostBy: corey On: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:38 pm

Lightning wrote:
corey wrote:I cook myself out with stoker size coal. Not to mention almost blowing the stove up. All is well tho. :blowup:


Yep be careful not to smother with the small stuff. I've had a couple scary moments with small bit coal lol.

It was an interesting night last night. After I posted that picture. I stared the fire up and pulled a football size lumps towards the front.
corey
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: USS Ashley coal stove
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Re: My 2016-2017 heating thread

PostBy: corey On: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:15 pm

I've started adding shovel full of fines every so often. I have way too much fines so I need to get rid of it. For more room for lump coal.
Last edited by corey on Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corey
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: USS Ashley coal stove
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Re: My 2016-2017 heating thread

PostBy: SWPaDon On: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:11 pm

corey wrote:I've started adding shovel full service of fines every so often. I have way too much fines so I need to get rid of it. For more room for lump coal.

Yes, you need to learn how to burn them, otherwise it's just money thrown away. Fines are more difficult, but they can be mastered.
SWPaDon
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Re: My 2016-2017 heating thread

PostBy: corey On: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:22 pm

SWPaDon wrote:
corey wrote:I've started adding shovel full service of fines every so often. I have way too much fines so I need to get rid of it. For more room for lump coal.

Yes, you need to learn how to burn them, otherwise it's just money thrown away. Fines are more difficult, but they can be mastered.

It actually is working out so far.
corey
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: USS Ashley coal stove
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Re: My 2016-2017 heating thread

PostBy: SWPaDon On: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:24 pm

That's a good thing.
SWPaDon
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Re: My 2016-2017 heating thread

PostBy: corey On: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:37 pm

The 2 shovel full at a time seem to work. Last year I would add a hod full at a time and I think thats why I gave up on fines. The house is staying more comfortable now. I'm sure I'm getting a little more soot with the fines but I can deal with it.
corey
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: USS Ashley coal stove
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Re: My 2016-2017 heating thread

PostBy: SWPaDon On: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:54 pm

Yes, any soot can be taken care of later.
It takes more trips, but I'll throw a shovel of fines on, then wait about 30 minutes, break the clump a little and add another shovel of fines. Seems to be working well in this old Clayton.
SWPaDon
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace


Re: My 2016-2017 heating thread

PostBy: corey On: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:59 pm

SWPaDon wrote:Yes, any soot can be taken care of later.
It takes more trips, but I'll throw a shovel of fines on, then wait about 30 minutes, break the clump a little and add another shovel of fines. Seems to be working well in this old Clayton.

I like how it simmered all night till 1 today. Needed a little heat so I stoked it up a little.
Last edited by corey on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corey
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: USS Ashley coal stove
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Re: My 2016-2017 heating thread

PostBy: SWPaDon On: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:19 pm

The high here today was 41. I poked mine a few times, LOL.
SWPaDon
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Re: My 2016-2017 heating thread

PostBy: corey On: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:57 pm

SWPaDon wrote:The high here today was 41. I poked mine a few times, LOL.

It's 55 outside now going to be mild till wensday night. I'm going to try to hold a fire.
corey
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: USS Ashley coal stove
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Re: My 2016-2017 heating thread

PostBy: corey On: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:45 am

20161130_103922.jpg
(45.91 KiB) Viewed 2 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]76841[/nepathumb]

Still burning coal it's raining and 60 outside. Going to get cold behind this rain today. I kept the fire burning but I opened a door yesterday.
corey
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: USS Ashley coal stove
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Re: My 2016-2017 heating thread

PostBy: freetown fred On: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:19 pm

He's talkin about stoves Don!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: toothy
SWPaDon wrote:The high here today was 41. I poked mine a few times, LOL.
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: My 2016-2017 heating thread

PostBy: SWPaDon On: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:25 pm

freetown fred wrote:He's talkin about stoves Don!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: toothy
SWPaDon wrote:The high here today was 41. I poked mine a few times, LOL.

:oops: :bag:
SWPaDon
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Re: My 2016-2017 heating thread

PostBy: corey On: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:37 pm

I reckon we talking stoves
:)
corey
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: USS Ashley coal stove
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous