As some of you know my Grandmother is a pretty old, 98 going on 99 in April. For 98 she is still in pretty good shape in particular her mind. She owns a double block and I stay next door to give her a hand cooking and keep an eye on her. She fell in early September and fractured her arm but she's doing really well now.
While she was in rehab I decided to take the opportunity to fix her bathroom for her. I knew I was opening a can of a worms but damn...... The original part of this house may be 150 years and was originally a barn, it has been added to numerous times. In some cases the material used for additions were whatever was laying around. This bathroom is in the backroom and shared by both sides of the house, it's only about a 7*7 room so there isn't a whole lot of space to work with. It's even difficult to get pictures with good perspective.
The floor is dirt underneath and there is small access in the basement to get into it, It's difficult to tell from the picture but there is enough room you can almost stand up if you are in the middle. The original joists were a grand total of three 2*6's on about 24 inch centers and one was even notched out halfway, I put in all new 2*8's on 16 centers.
Can't see it well but on the right wall the sill plate was rotted, one bonus at least there was no concerns about removing it and the wall collapsing. That was good day shot fixing that.
The ceiling was same as floor, 3 rafters but in this case they were only 2*4' and they weren't really doing anything anyway because there was no tension on them and it was drop ceiling. It's a very short space so I figured new 2*4's would be more than sufficient. I also scabbed on some 2*4's to the existing ones for the roof, one of them was broke.
I screwed some furring strips to each joist 2 inches down and then placed 2 inch rigid insulation, have to keep Gram's feet warm.
Ceiling was insulated and I added vent/light fixture in the center. If you look at the back those are true 2*4's on 14 centers, there was also 2*4's finished 1/4 and 1/2 inch short. The original insulation was only like r-5 and not installed very well, this room was renovated in the 70's.
Now this is where it gets interesting, the other two walls have studs wrong direction with no rhyme or reason for centers and they are extremely crooked in both directions. There was full 1 1/1 inch difference for level between the floor and ceiling.
One mistake I made is this build was trying to fix existing structure, I figured just use the furring strips to give me a little more room for insulation and fix the crooked wall. If I ever get involved with project like this again I'm going to frame the whole thing out with new studs either scabbed on or standalone. One of the big issues was all the cutting involved and that applied to everything like the insulation, nothing fit out of the box. In any event wall is now thicker to accommodate more insulation and as level as it's going to get.
This is the one three foot space I have for putting plumbing in the walls for the shower, all the other walls are exterior. What a nice surprise here, solid tongue and groove planking which required a false wall to be built. These suckers were about 2 inches thick and 16 inches wide. The plywood is so I can attach hand rails and seat directly to the wall.
Reframed the window and added R-19 all the way around..... well it was R-19. I pulled some layers off on the bottom for the left and right walls because the wall space is not deep enough.
I know this is not supposed to go onto the vinyl flooring but I couldn't find any reason why it would be major issue. Set the shower base in , perfectly level.
This is something else I wish I had to do over again, the shower floor is about 1 1/2 deep but the shower base is about 3 inches high. I could of notched out the joists to lower it. That would have been a lot of work especially with the round design of the shower but worth it in the end.
Tabbit and Sons which is metal recycling/junkyard is about 1 mile from here and he has a mountain of cast iron radiators. They charge by the pound, currently about 32 cents. This one was about 80 pounds and $25. They guarantee them so there is no risk accept your time. This was the only one I found that was small enough and it was just about perfect, it was about 2 feet high, 1 1/2 foot wide and about 3 inches depth. It's really small. Unfortunately it was cracked.<sigh>
I ended up buying some cheap baseboard covers and utilized the old finned radiation. 4 foot should be enough but again there is 3 exposed walls here. I put in 7 foot which is about half of what is in there before but with the insulation I'm figuring it should be more than warm enough. The smaller 3 foot section is behind the toilet and ends near the shower. I didn't want to put it there but I really didn't have anywhere else to put it.
I have one solder joint in the basement that has a very minor leak, it's one of those leaks that may even fix itself. I'm going to wait and see what happens, if the room is not warm enough I'm going to drop some of the rigid insulation to create a cavity and put some finned tubing in it for in-floor heating. I have to cut the pipe to fix the leak and may just do that anyway.
More pictures soon....