WHAT SIZE DO YOU THINK .

WHAT SIZE DO YOU THINK .

PostBy: coalboy On: Sat May 17, 2008 4:57 pm

HI EVERY ONE, KNEW TO THE SITE. GREAT SITE,GREAT PEOPLE,GREAT INFORMATION. THIS IS MY QUESTION. mid 1930s 1500sq feet two-story home, with replacement windows. as far as insulation goes I would say fair to good.what size coal boiler would you think would work best for this home. ka2 or ka6 efm 350 or 520. harman v 3000. thanks for any help. coalboy
coalboy
 
Stove/Furnace Make: AxemanAnderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 1949 AA130

Re: WHAT SIZE DO YOU THINK .

PostBy: LsFarm On: Sat May 17, 2008 5:51 pm

Hello Coalboy, welcome to the forum.. The most accurate way to answer your question is to do a heat-loss calculation..
But with an older house, you may not know how much insulation is in the walls or in some hidden ceilings [my problem in my 1849 farmhouse].

So another way to figure it out, is to look at your current heating system, what is it, how old is it, how well does it work, and how much fuel does it burn.

You can interpret BTU used from the amount of fuel burnt.
You can interpret BTU needed by the BTU capacity of the current system

For example, my house has a 140,000BTU input, 120,000 output propane boiler.. once the outside temps drop below ~15* it cannot keep up with the heat loss of the house and some parts of the house cannot maintain 55*. So obviously my home needs more heating capacity [and insulation/sealing/windows etc].

So tell us what you are using for fuel, and we can direct you to a fuel calculator, and describe the type of heating appliance or system, You mentioned boiler, is it steam or hot water? Cast Iron radiators, baseboard units or Hydronicly heated floors?.. Any added Electric baseboard heat.. or ???

If you are going to keep the existing system as a backup system, do you have a second chimney available??

As for your list of boilers, there are some fundemental differences.. the EFM's use a separate coal hopper with an auger to feed the boiler.. this hopper can be a large as is practical for your instalation.. my hopper holds 1500# of coal [AA260 boiler].. The Keystoker and Harman have a hopper that is attached to the boiler, and is a set size.. and usually needs filling every day or two during cold weather.

So you may want to think about how often you want to tend to the boiler, the hopper size and Ashpan size will determine this, as well as the amount of heat used..

Hope the above will help us help you with your questions..

Greg L.

Take a look at his topic, there are a couple of links to fuel calculator/conversion calculators listed in the discussion. please list your annual coal usage VS. oil usage
LsFarm
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Re: WHAT SIZE DO YOU THINK .

PostBy: coalboy On: Sat May 17, 2008 6:59 pm

THANKS GREG FOR THE INFO. I AM HEATING WITH OIL HOT WATER WITH CAST IRON RADIATORS. AS FOR THE BOILER BTU OUTPUT. I'M NOT 100% SURE WITH OUT LOOKING ON THE BOILER. I'M AWAY FROM HOME RIGHT NOW, BUT WHEN I RETURN TOMMORROW I'LL BE SURE TO POST THE BTU OUT PUT. MANY THANKS COALBOY.
coalboy
 
Stove/Furnace Make: AxemanAnderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 1949 AA130

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Re: WHAT SIZE DO YOU THINK .

PostBy: gaw On: Sat May 17, 2008 7:20 pm

I think any one of the boilers you mentioned would work for the house you describe. Just guessing, but the KAA-2 would probably be the closest match as far as BTU requirements but the limited size of the coal hopper and ash pan are a drawback. I am assuming that the KAA-2 does not take the one bushel utility tubs or am I wrong? Could someone enlighten me on this? From past posts and pictures the KAA-2 looks to have too small of an ash door to fit a bushel tub in.

Good luck in your quest.
gaw
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Re: WHAT SIZE DO YOU THINK .

PostBy: Yanche On: Sat May 17, 2008 8:59 pm

You should do a heat loss calculation on your house. How accurate a calculation you need depends. Simple calculators give you ball park results which when combined with your existing heating unit nameplate data and/or fuel BTU usage is good enough. Coal boilers can fired to cover a wide range of BTU outputs. One reasonably simple heat loss calculator is at: http://www.hydronicpros.com/. It's a free download for a limited time use. Then it nags at you to buy. You have to wipe off and reload to get more use. More accurate but with a steep learning curve is the ACCA Manual J analysis. Do a site search on "manual J" for more info.
Yanche
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Re: WHAT SIZE DO YOU THINK .

PostBy: coal berner On: Sat May 17, 2008 9:58 pm

gaw wrote:I think any one of the boilers you mentioned would work for the house you describe. Just guessing, but the KAA-2 would probably be the closest match as far as BTU requirements but the limited size of the coal hopper and ash pan are a drawback. I am assuming that the KAA-2 does not take the one bushel utility tubs or am I wrong? Could someone enlighten me on this? From past posts and pictures the KAA-2 looks to have too small of an ash door to fit a bushel tub in.

Good luck in your quest.

Hi gaw you are correct on the ash tub KAA-2 will not take the round 1 bushel tubs The factory gives you a little round bucket for a ash tub looks like a wash pail or like when some bars offer a bucket of beer maybe 15 to 20lbs of ash can be held in it All of the others size boiler will come with Sq # 1 tub or a 1 bushel round tub The EFM's the AA 130 and simmler size boiler will take the # 1 SQ tub or round tub the larger boiler will take # 2 Sq tubs & # 3 Sq tubs the AA 260 will use # 2 Sq & # 3 Sq tubs the old big losch boiler will take a # 4 Sq tub they are called wash tubs when you get that big I used one here for the hand -fed they get heavy when filled like 100 lbs of ash the round 1 bushel holds 35lbs the # 1 sq tub will hold 55 lbs # 2 Sq 70 lbs # 3 Sq 85 lbs # 4 Sq wash tub 100 lbs :shock: All of these Numbers are Filled to the Max I weigh
all my coal & ashes I have 7 round 1 bushel tubs One # 1 Sq Tub Two # 2 Sq. Tubs 1 # 3 Sq Tub & 1 # 4 Sq Wash Tub The
#3 & # 4 Are called wash tubs ;)
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: WHAT SIZE DO YOU THINK .

PostBy: coal berner On: Sat May 17, 2008 10:03 pm

Yanche wrote:You should do a heat loss calculation on your house. How accurate a calculation you need depends. Simple calculators give you ball park results which when combined with your existing heating unit nameplate data and/or fuel BTU usage is good enough. Coal boilers can fired to cover a wide range of BTU outputs. One reasonably simple heat loss calculator is at: http://www.hydronicpros.com/. It's a free download for a limited time use. Then it nags at you to buy. You have to wipe off and reload to get more use. More accurate but with a steep learning curve is the ACCA Manual J analysis. Do a site search on "manual J" for more info.

Hi Yanche I was wondering what you thought of AHS Btu calcaulator :?:

http://www.alternateheatingsystems.com/ ... ulator.htm
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: WHAT SIZE DO YOU THINK .

PostBy: coalboy On: Sun May 18, 2008 1:05 pm

WELL I'M HOME NOW AND THE OIL BOILER IS A AXEMAN ANDERSON AND THE TAG ON THE BOILER SAYS HEAT M.B.T.U.H 146. WATER M.B.T.U.H 127.
coalboy wrote:THANKS GREG FOR THE INFO. I AM HEATING WITH OIL HOT WATER WITH CAST IRON RADIATORS. AS FOR THE BOILER BTU OUTPUT. I'M NOT 100% SURE WITH OUT LOOKING ON THE BOILER. I'M AWAY FROM HOME RIGHT NOW, BUT WHEN I RETURN TOMMORROW I'LL BE SURE TO POST THE BTU OUT PUT. MANY THANKS COALBOY.
coalboy
 
Stove/Furnace Make: AxemanAnderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 1949 AA130

Re: WHAT SIZE DO YOU THINK .

PostBy: LsFarm On: Sun May 18, 2008 2:04 pm

Hi Coalboy, welcome back home.. I hope you aren't gone from home as much as I am.. By the way, Please turn of the Caps Lock on your computer.. Typing in all capitals is considered yelling... LIKE THIS ! .. :D :o

OK, well you have the Cadilac of oil burners, why not stay with the same make of coal boiler ?? Take a look at the AxemanAnderson 130M boiler as well as the other boilers you mentioned.. However, I wouldn't go with a significantly smaller boiler than you have..


http://www.axemananderson.com
This link is broken, either the page no longer exists or there is some other issue like a typo.


Greg L.
LsFarm
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Visit Lehigh Anthracite