Gorsuch: Trump's Comments on Judges

Gorsuch: Trump's Comments on Judges

PostBy: johnjoseph On: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:56 pm

'Disheartening & Demoralizing'

President Donald Trump's Supreme Court nominee, Neil Gorsuch, said that comments Trump made about the federal appeals court deliberating his travel ban were "disheartening and demoralizing," John Roberts reported on "Special Report" tonight.


http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/02/08/n ... moralizing
johnjoseph
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler


Re: Gorsuch: Trump's Comments on Judges

PostBy: Richard S. On: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:50 pm

The ninth circuit is considered the most liberal and "activist", it is also the most reversed. Considering Gorsuch's textualist views about the law is he commenting on the court or Trump?

It should also be noted that others privy to this conversation have stated he specifically said he was not commenting on any specific incident. Sounds to me he is concerned about the reasons Trump would make such a comment.

While on the topic where was the outrage from the left when Obama was critical of the Supreme Court during a State of the Union speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k92SerxLWtc
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Gorsuch: Trump's Comments on Judges

PostBy: Blackrocks On: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:12 pm

Richard : President Obama was critical of the court specifically because of the courts ruling in the citizens united case, because it essentially ruled that a corporation is a person (human being) with the same rights. as an actual person(human being) I am also critical of that ruling, therefor I agree with the criticism, so ...no objection. Do you agree with the court on that ruling? If so , you are certainly in titled to your opinion. I on the other hand will believe corporations are people when one gets on a bus and takes a seat next to me, or, as has been said , when Texas puts one to death by lethal injection.
Blackrocks
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503 insert
Coal Size/Type: Nut --- bagged

Re: Gorsuch: Trump's Comments on Judges

PostBy: johnjoseph On: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Richard S. wrote:The ninth circuit is considered the most liberal and "activist", it is also the most reversed.



9th Circuit not most overturned:

Between 2010-15, of all the cases the Supreme Court heard that came from the 9th Circuit, 79 percent were overturned.

However, this is not a "a record." The reversal rate for the 6th Circuit was 87 percent during those six years, and the reversal rate was 85 percent for the 11th Circuit.

What’s more, the Supreme Court generally reverses more cases than it affirms, 70 percent on average, because the cases that it chooses to take on are often disputed among the lower courts, complex and problematic.


http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... onference/
Last edited by johnjoseph on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnjoseph
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Re: Gorsuch: Trump's Comments on Judges

PostBy: rberq On: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:13 pm

johnjoseph wrote:What’s more, the Supreme Court generally reverses more cases than it affirms, 70 percent on average, because the cases that it chooses to take on are often disputed among the lower courts, complex and problematic.

JJ, thanks for the actual percentages on cases overturned -- alternate facts are simpler, but real facts are realer.
And yes, if the Supreme Court sees that a ruling is straightforward and solid it simply declines to accept an appeal, leaving the lower court decision intact. Trump's executive order was widely expected to be decided by the SC, but if it had been appealed I wonder if the court would even have agreed to hear the case at all.
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: Gorsuch: Trump's Comments on Judges

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:19 am

Blackrocks wrote:Richard : President Obama was critical of the court specifically because of the courts ruling in the citizens united case, because it essentially ruled that a corporation is a person (human being) with the same rights. as an actual person(human being) I am also critical of that ruling, therefor I agree with the criticism, so ...no objection. Do you agree with the court on that ruling? If so , you are certainly in titled to your opinion. I on the other hand will believe corporations are people when one gets on a bus and takes a seat next to me, or, as has been said , when Texas puts one to death by lethal injection.


Yeah, sure it was just that one case and had nothing to do with all the other times he got slapped down by the SC. Quite the selective memory. :roll:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/obama-suprem ... tml?ref=gs

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2 ... n/2576625/

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/381676/

Pretty pathetic for a former "constitutional law professor". :D

Paul
Sunny Boy
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Re: Gorsuch: Trump's Comments on Judges

PostBy: johnjoseph On: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:13 pm

Obamma is gone....this thread is not about him or his failures. Let's get back to Trumps comments on judges! :)
johnjoseph
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Re: Gorsuch: Trump's Comments on Judges

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:33 pm

johnjoseph wrote:Obamma is gone....this thread is not about him or his failures. Let's get back to Trumps comments on judges! :)


Nice dodge but it doesn't work. It's relevant to the discussion because Trumps comment is about the ninth's past record, which includes other presidents. Your linked article opened that door. :roll:

And why weren't you saying that every time the lib/Dems were bringing up Bush the past 8 years, or were you MIA for all those ? :D

Paul
Sunny Boy
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace


Re: Gorsuch: Trump's Comments on Judges

PostBy: Blackrocks On: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:39 pm

JJ : I agree, it's time to stop looking in the rear view mirror and concentrate on the road ahead and where this delusional maniac is trying to take us.

Rick
Blackrocks
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503 insert
Coal Size/Type: Nut --- bagged

Re: Gorsuch: Trump's Comments on Judges

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:11 pm

Blackrocks wrote:JJ : I agree, it's time to stop looking in the rear view mirror and concentrate on the road ahead and where this delusional maniac is trying to take us.

Rick


That's hilarious. After 8 years of blaming all obummer's screw-ups on Bush, now you decide you want to stop that ? :D

Paul
Sunny Boy
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Re: Gorsuch: Trump's Comments on Judges

PostBy: johnjoseph On: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:22 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
johnjoseph wrote:Obamma is gone....this thread is not about him or his failures. Let's get back to Trumps comments on judges! :)


Nice dodge but it doesn't work. It's relevant to the discussion because Trumps comment is about the ninth's past record, which includes other presidents. Your linked article opened that door. :roll:

And why weren't you saying that every time the lib/Dems were bringing up Bush the past 8 years, or were you MIA for all those ? :D

Paul


The article didn't mention other presidents...you stuck that statement in as a way to allow you to draw attention away from Trump; what other presidents have done has no bearing on what Trump has said or done in this particular instance. If you want to re-live the Bush and Obummer days start another thread. Trump is attempting to make America great again, but blaming his predecessor isn't going to make it happen is it?
johnjoseph
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Re: Gorsuch: Trump's Comments on Judges

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:48 pm

' ..................... It's relevant to the discussion because Trumps comment is about the ninth's past record, which includes other presidents. Your linked article opened that door. :roll: "

Your link to Politifact mentions past presidents and how what Trump said relates to them. So, the door to past presidents and how they compare was opened by your own link. If you don't want the past brought up, then I suggest you don't use links that include past presidents to try and bolster your point. ;)

Paul
Sunny Boy
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Re: Gorsuch: Trump's Comments on Judges

PostBy: johnjoseph On: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Blackrocks wrote:JJ : I agree, it's time to stop looking in the rear view mirror and concentrate on the road ahead and where this delusional maniac is trying to take us.

Rick


That's hilarious. After 8 years of blaming all obummer's screw-ups on Bush, now you decide you want to stop that ? :D

Paul


Paul you did the same thing...what's good for the goose is good for the gander! :lol:
johnjoseph
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Re: Gorsuch: Trump's Comments on Judges

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:12 pm

johnjoseph wrote:
Sunny Boy wrote:
That's hilarious. After 8 years of blaming all obummer's screw-ups on Bush, now you decide you want to stop that ? :D

Paul


Paul you did the same thing...what's good for the goose is good for the gander! :lol:
Yup ! And I didn't cry to please stop it. :D

Turnabout is fair play, but some don't know what that is. ;)

Paul
Sunny Boy
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Re: Gorsuch: Trump's Comments on Judges

PostBy: johnjoseph On: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:29 pm

We got 306 because people came out and voted like they've never seen before so that's the way it goes," Trump said. "I guess it was the biggest electoral college win since Ronald Reagan."

This is incorrect. Trump received a smaller share of the Electoral College votes (56.88 percent) than former presidents George H. W. Bush (79.18 percent), Bill Clinton (68.77 percent in 1992, and 70.45 percent in 1996) and Barack Obama (67.84 percent in 2008 and 61.71 percent in 2012).

So that’s five elections since Reagan and in which the winner got a larger percentage of the Electoral College votes than Trump.


http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... onference/
johnjoseph
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler