Well, I've made it back, and am almost finished with this project. The weather has warmed up mostly, and my 111 went out the other day, cause I wasn't too serious when I tended it the night B4. So as for the moment, I'm running on liquid heat. We'll see if mother nature has one more surprise for us in April.
When I left off, I had only some final sanding and finishing to do, and connect the base to the main housing. I think I mentioned that tung oil will be the sealer of choice.
I had already rounded off the corners I spoke of above, and in my opinion was an improvement. And after a little more finish sanding yesterday, I glued and screwed the 2 pieces together. Some final finish sanding was all that was needed, and I used a cabinet scraper to give the top some smoothing out in preparation of the tung oil. Some leftover scrap walnut became my test piece for the oil, and it seems 2 coats will fit the bill. Unfortunately the stripe is inbedded for good, and the only finish to mask it would be Rustoleum black paint. (Which I don't plan on doing.) So for those of you saying it'll give the project "character", guess it's meant to be. Because this was basically hand-built
, there won't be any fooling anyone it was professionally done. I hope to apply the 1st coat of oil tonite, so I don't have any photos of that. But here's a few, before that next step. This 1st photo you can compare to the one above, where the pencil is pointing to what to me is a "weak" area, visually. I like a nice sharp and crisp line sometimes, but on this project, because of the shape, I think the rolling edges fit better.
After the finish is applied, I'll shoot some more photos, hopefully of the final product.