Rob R. wrote:If it were mine, I would run a timer on it like Axeman recommends, and remove the baro.
Rob and others,
I do not have a "dump zone" wired in, so running a timer may not work too well. Although I guess I could wire something in. The boiler currently shuts off around 175* and on a no heat call, will rise over 200* and in these warm temp days could possibly remain there for several hours. Me and the wife have dealt with this "CO in the spring" forever. It is not a big deal for us. Of course I have been spraying automotive paint and the associated additives in it for decades. So my thinking may be a little clouded. Her and I know that every spring we deal with the up and down temps and will open a basement window if we see problems looming with the swinging temps. That was why I installed the draft inducer when I replaced the exhaust piping to the wall.
SIL on the other hand has never dealt with anything like this. She NEVER took part in any maintenance or workings of the farm house. She lived in the "tenant house" across the driveway and more or less lived in her own little world over there. Everything was done for her by my father in law or me as directed by him. Her golden retriever is like a child to her and GOD forbid if something would happen to the dog...........We tried to talk her out of putting the cat in the basement to no avail.
As I said, I gave her a lesson on how a coal boiler works and the inherent issue of having several lbs of burning coal sitting there heating the water waiting for a call for heat. It is way different than her Alaska stoker and oil burner hydronic setup. I had to start by first explaining how and when CO is created in the burning process. And that you just don't stop coal from emitting CO unless you stop the coal burning process !!!!
I do have the manometer hooked into the pipes and can monitor it. The wife is starting to understand the workings of the boiler so she knows how to check things as well. I've even explained the operation of the draft inducer to her. However I will not show that to the SIL or she will run it 24/7/365.
NMC - we can't foil over the baro due to the high winds we get on the property. We have fields on either side of the house which allow the winds to howl at times.
WH - the chimney is already covered by 2 layers of stucco. I guess we could possibly install foam board and restucco, but unless there is a guarantee, the SIL will not want to pay for it. I already heard a ton of crap when she thought that by having the chimney cleaned, all prior issues would have been resolved. She's blonde and sometimes it takes a while for her to understand.