Coffee 3-25-17

Re: Coffee 3-25-17

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:05 pm

K, no wonder ya don't like it, you been trying that Jean Valdez stuff--ya gotta get the Juan Valdez coffee!!!!! ;)
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut


Re: Coffee 3-25-17

PostBy: lowfog01 On: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:54 pm

Hi Guys,

Stated my day of with left over Chinese in Williamsburg. DK and I did a quick couple of hours on the trikes through the Yorktown Battle field before heading home to Northern VA. We got back around 3 and I was able to do an inspection of my square box hive. I've been worried about it swarming but I found no signs of swarm cells or excess drone brood. I'll be checking it for queen cells weekly now until I can split the hive safely. Like so many things, timing is everything when you split a hive. Hopefully, it will all come together the week of April 7 when I'll be off for spring break.

Ah yes, the Flow Hive. Check out this video -

. It will explain the theory. Generally, the more experienced beekeepers are hesitant to welcome this innovation. First, the bees are reluctant to draw out comb in this type of hive so you tend to have smaller colonies. Second, is the concern that owners of the Flow hive will be "bee havers," not beekeepers. Will they do the maintenance and inspections required to keep the hive healthy? Unfortunately, there is a lot of effort that has to be done in any hive style before you can harvest any honey. Another point is that this hive is expensive; you can buy 3 regular hives for the cost of one Flow Hive. The one beekeeper I know who actually spent the money has been so disappointed with it, that he doesn't even set it up anymore. I'm sure it works well for some individuals but I'll just keep keeping on. Lisa
lowfog01
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Re: Coffee 3-25-17

PostBy: Hambden Bob On: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:58 pm

Good Evening,Gang !

First of many trips to the Bay occurred today ! It was Royal to get there two weeks early in order to start my 50th year out in Western Lake Erie. It's been one Hell of a run ! The power and water come on in Mid-April,and I plan to have my can firmly parked there for as much time as I can ! Let the Coal Drop-A-Way begin as I won't have any net at Camp as a general get Life back to normal policy !

Adios Mates !! :dancing: toothy :cheers:
Hambden Bob
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Re: Coffee 3-25-17

PostBy: Keepaeyeonit On: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:09 am

freetown fred wrote:K, no wonder ya don't like it, you been trying that Jean Valdez stuff--ya gotta get the Juan Valdez coffee!!!!! ;)

Good catch Fred, I just used the copy/past method :oops: but whether Its Jean or Juan's coffee I don't like It
FullSizeRender.jpg
(140.72 KiB) Viewed 6 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]80226[/nepathumb]
now thats more like it :)
Keepaeyeonit
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Direnzo nut, Lehigh stove
Other Heating: 45 year old oil furnace,and a crappy 24 year old heat pump

Re: Coffee 3-25-17

PostBy: Keepaeyeonit On: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:18 am

Hambden Bob wrote:Good Evening,Gang !

First of many trips to the Bay occurred today ! It was Royal to get there two weeks early in order to start my 50th year out in Western Lake Erie. It's been one Hell of a run ! The power and water come on in Mid-April,and I plan to have my can firmly parked there for as much time as I can ! Let the Coal Drop-A-Way begin as I won't have any net at Camp as a general get Life back to normal policy !

Adios Mates !! :dancing: toothy :cheers:

Thats sounds like a winner HB, our 1st trip isn't until April 21st :( but we have some other things to do plus someone decided to have Easter on April 16th :mad: at least Its April1st next year !!!
Keepaeyeonit
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Direnzo nut, Lehigh stove
Other Heating: 45 year old oil furnace,and a crappy 24 year old heat pump

Re: Coffee 3-25-17

PostBy: Freddy On: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:48 am

Keepaeyeonit wrote: someone decided to have Easter on April 16th


The moon decides when to have Easter! The first 50 years of my life I never knew that Easter is on the same day every year.... It's the first Sunday after the first full moon after the first day of Spring. Goofy!
Freddy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: Coffee 3-25-17

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:58 am

Freddy wrote: The moon decides when to have Easter! The first 50 years of my life I never knew that Easter is on the same day every year.... It's the first Sunday after the first full moon after the first day of Spring. Goofy!


Not quite goofy. The Hebrews based everything upon a Lunar calendar, and this method keeps it in line with Passover.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Re: Coffee 3-25-17

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:01 am

Keepaeyeonit, are you roasting your own coffee? I've considered doing this for several years now. Assuming that the answer is yes, what roaster unit do you recommend?
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)


Re: Coffee 3-25-17

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:03 am

The coal roaster Larry--what else?
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Re: Coffee 3-25-17

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:05 am

freetown fred wrote:The coal roaster Larry--what else?


:lol:
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Re: Coffee 3-25-17

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:18 am

lsayre wrote:Not quite goofy. The Hebrews based everything upon a Lunar calendar, and this method keeps it in line with Passover.


The above turns out to be incorrect, as Easter and Passover can vary from each other by up to a month. Easter always falls between March 22 and April 25. The Nicean Council came up with this method. The council decreed Easter to be the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox (March 21) — unless that full moon is on a Sunday, then Easter is to be celebrated the following Sunday. Emperor Constantine was a sun worshiper, and he demanded that the Council tie Easter to the spring equinox, which is a sun related event, and not a lunar related event. So we ended up with a solar/lunar mishmash.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Re: Coffee 3-25-17

PostBy: lowfog01 On: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:11 am

lsayre wrote:
lsayre wrote:Not quite goofy. The Hebrews based everything upon a Lunar calendar, and this method keeps it in line with Passover.


The above turns out to be incorrect, as Easter and Passover can vary from each other by up to a month. Easter always falls between March 22 and April 25. The Nicean Council came up with this method. The council decreed Easter to be the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox (March 21) — unless that full moon is on a Sunday, then Easter is to be celebrated the following Sunday. Emperor Constantine was a sun worshiper, and he demanded that the Council tie Easter to the spring equinox, which is a sun related event, and not a lunar related event. So we ended up with a solar/lunar mishmash.


At least that is based on something known - anyone have an idea of why "Election Day in the United States of America is the Tuesday following the first Monday in November. It can fall on or between November 2 and November 8. It is the day when popular ballots are held to select public officials." :D
lowfog01
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Re: Coffee 3-25-17

PostBy: Hambden Bob On: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:16 am

Barry,I'll tell 'Ya.....

I'm actually looking at spending the Easter Holiday at The Bay for the first time in my sordid Life ! This 50th "Year Of Privilege" is going to be a Total Screamer as long as The Old Man Upstairs gives me the opportunity of staying upright !

I'm learning that I've got alot of New and Life Changing Grand Opportunities coming at me due to opening my eyes and thinking "Outside 'Da Box" !

Bye the way,Barry,as far as I'm concerned,You've put the consumate Dream Rig together with the addition of that Custom Bed ! It sure is Tactical,Practical and a true Game Changer as You age. It'll cause You to definitely work smarter,not harder due to that Killer Smash and Attack Pick-Up/Freighter that You've built !

As Always,Take Care,Gang ! :flex: :dancing: :punk:
Hambden Bob
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Re: Coffee 3-25-17

PostBy: top top On: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Keepaeyeonit wrote:
freetown fred wrote:K, no wonder ya don't like it, you been trying that Jean Valdez stuff--ya gotta get the Juan Valdez coffee!!!!! ;)

Good catch Fred, I just used the copy/past method :oops: but whether Its Jean or Juan's coffee I don't like It
FullSizeRender.jpg
now thats more like it :)


I was wondering who Jean Valdez was, thought maybe he was a coal burning Barista. I do remember Juan V, they showed him walking around with a burro, picking coffee beans one at a time. That couldn't have paid very well. Poor Juan was stuck with a burro while his neighbor grew poppy and had a Bronco.
top top
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Kodiac Hand Fired with hopper.

Re: Coffee 3-25-17

PostBy: Keepaeyeonit On: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:43 pm

lsayre wrote:Keepaeyeonit, are you roasting your own coffee? I've considered doing this for several years now. Assuming that the answer is yes, what roaster unit do you recommend?

Yes I do Larry, I'm kind of a coffee snob but I followed a Freetown "kiss" principal when I started, I use a stainless steel Whirley Pop popcorn maker.
IMG_0104.JPG
(148.52 KiB) Viewed 3 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]80260[/nepathumb]
IMG_0106.JPG
(127.24 KiB) Viewed 2 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]80262[/nepathumb]

I looked at the home auto roasters but wasn't thrilled at them plus there somewhat expensive so I bought a Whirley Pop and used it for almost a year before I added the perforated SS screen to It ( it helps get a even roast) , The only drawback, 8 OZ's of beans per roast so to get a pound you will need to do it in 2 batches.
I do have a 100 rpm 12v gear motor that will be adding for ease of operation, I love fresh roasted coffee and won't drink anything else normally but its not all that cheap to roast your own but definitely cheaper then buying it from a local roaster.
Keepaeyeonit
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Direnzo nut, Lehigh stove
Other Heating: 45 year old oil furnace,and a crappy 24 year old heat pump